banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Wesley

I was at Valleri's site and it has the copyright dates of all of LIghtfoot's songs. I looked over a few off of IYCRMM wich of course was released in 70 and songs like Baby It's Alright and Minstrel Of The dawn were copyrighted 1969 which is not all that suprising. I found out from 1 of the other GL sites that the LP was released in April of that year and I know he had a live album in 69, the last for UA and some of the selections from IYCRMM were performed on the live LP.

Now Did She Mention My Name was released in Jan. of 1968 and BDIJ along with a few others are Copyrighted 1968. Because the LP was released so early in the year I would of of thought that perhaps all or most of them would have a 1967 copyright date on them.

So I don't know how things things work I suppose the songs are copyrighted the minute they're written or what.

[ October 01, 2006, 17:45: Message edited by: Affair on Touhy Ave. ]
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Affair on Touhy Ave.

I was at Valleri's site and it has the copyright dates of all of LIghtfoot's songs. I looked over a few off of IYCRMM wich of course was released in 70 and songs like Baby It's Alright and Minstrel Of The dawn were copyrighted 1969 which is not all that suprising. I found out from 1 of the other GL sites that the LP was released in April of that year and I know he had a live album in 69, the last for UA and some of the selections from IYCRMM were performed on the live LP.

Now Did She Mention My Name was released in Jan. of 1968 and BDIJ along with a few others are Copyrighted 1968. Because the LP was released so early in the year I would of of thought that perhaps all or most of them would have a 1967 copyright date on them.

So I don't know how things things work I suppose the songs are copyrighted the minute they're written or what.

[ October 01, 2006, 17:45: Message edited by: Affair on Touhy Ave. ]
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Yes, a copyright exists as soon as a work is created. Registering the copyright is only a formality which protects the copyright owner from the possibility that someone else will claim to have created that work.

The copyright dates in my lyrics files are intended to protect the copyright holder, and are not always 100% accurate simply because that information is not always easy to come by.

When I didn't know anything more, I used the album release year because no professional release would be made until the copyright paperwork had at least been submitted. For some songs, I knew that Lightfoot had performed them earlier, and he usually copyrights songs before performing them (although he made a comment after one of his radio appearances that a song he performed hadn't been copyrighted yet). By "not copyrighted yet", he meant the paperwork hadn't be filed; again, he had a copyright simply because he created it.

In the case of the songs on DSMMN, I really don't know when the actual copyright filing occurred, so I just used 1968. The filing could have been made in the weeks just before the record was released. We just don't know.

Finally, in the case of Hamilton Camp's Pride of Man, I had no information at all to go on. I knew only that Lightfoot! was recorded in 1964, and the other early recordings of that song were recorded no earlier than that. So I used 1964 and eventually asked Hamilton, who said he had no idea but 1964 sounded good to him!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote