banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
fowlesjohn

This is such a cute song in an innocent sort of way... I just read the actual words of the song and found out Gord is saying "utility shack"... I could not figure out what he was saying prior to reading this and now I must listen to this again. My husband was coming home last night and a huge bull toad was crossing the road, the toad was sitting in the road. So my husband got out of the Cobra (man the noise from that thing alone would have chased me off the road) and started to chase this guy off the road. When he got up close to the toad, the toad started to blow his neck up and make horribly loud noises. My husband scooted him into the swamp and left. He said his ears were ringing the sound from the toad.
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
gwen snyder

This is such a cute song in an innocent sort of way... I just read the actual words of the song and found out Gord is saying "utility shack"... I could not figure out what he was saying prior to reading this and now I must listen to this again. My husband was coming home last night and a huge bull toad was crossing the road, the toad was sitting in the road. So my husband got out of the Cobra (man the noise from that thing alone would have chased me off the road) and started to chase this guy off the road. When he got up close to the toad, the toad started to blow his neck up and make horribly loud noises. My husband scooted him into the swamp and left. He said his ears were ringing the sound from the toad.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
srodts-palenik

ahh,,

gord does another unique twist of pronunciation/rythym during 'Fading Away' with the line "One more day on the calendar on my mind" on the word calendar. where the stress is on the second syllable such as " ca-'len'-der" instead of 'cal'-en-der where the stress is on the first syllable.

one more reason to love how gordon can turn a word.

as well. i really really enjoy Uncle Toad Said. our farm is named 'Croaking Frog Farm' in reverence to all the frogs we have locally. in the spring, when toads are doing toad things and migrate from pond to pond, our road is literally covered in toads. we 'must' get out of the Bronco to brush them off to the sides of the road.

best to you ...

ambrose
srodts-palenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
ambrose

ahh,,

gord does another unique twist of pronunciation/rythym during 'Fading Away' with the line "One more day on the calendar on my mind" on the word calendar. where the stress is on the second syllable such as " ca-'len'-der" instead of 'cal'-en-der where the stress is on the first syllable.

one more reason to love how gordon can turn a word.

as well. i really really enjoy Uncle Toad Said. our farm is named 'Croaking Frog Farm' in reverence to all the frogs we have locally. in the spring, when toads are doing toad things and migrate from pond to pond, our road is literally covered in toads. we 'must' get out of the Bronco to brush them off to the sides of the road.

best to you ...

ambrose
ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #5
fowlesjohn

Ambrose, true, that's why we love him. What a unique name for your farm, I love it!!! It has all the romance of home, how truly sweet.

Watchman, I don't know this answer because I hate that car!!! It is black and ugly and loud and only a man could love something like that, do you understand? Good. He has a new one ordered for 2005 and it will probably be black and ugly and loud and something only a man could love.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
gwen snyder

Ambrose, true, that's why we love him. What a unique name for your farm, I love it!!! It has all the romance of home, how truly sweet.

Watchman, I don't know this answer because I hate that car!!! It is black and ugly and loud and only a man could love something like that, do you understand? Good. He has a new one ordered for 2005 and it will probably be black and ugly and loud and something only a man could love.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:56 AM   #7
Iron

One of our most recent was from my Wife's version of Farewell to Annebelle,this has been one of Her latest "stuck-ons",and as I'm always stuck on some others,[one of which has been Fading Away,the cal-EN-der is my favorite part!!]Anyway,my Wife started to get me stuck on FtA and Her fav. verse in the song was "How did it feel when I "moved" through your soul".. As She had been playing this for many days on end,I found myself singing right along..."moved" through your soul...then when I got around to looking up the guitar music to start to learn the song,We found out it was "looked" through in the lyrics.Well I was quick to point out that sometimes Gordon changes some words sometimes and pointed out a couple that I knew of.A day or so later,She pointed out to me that He was sayin "looked" and sure enough She was right....Listen to the song and You"ll see how easy it is to hear which ever way your mind beholds...

Iron
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #8
fowlesjohn

the new one has 500 horsepower and is supercharged, so it fits the description... the GT will have 400 horses...oh well, I only need to worry about my lincoln because I don't like those others.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #9
gwen snyder

the new one has 500 horsepower and is supercharged, so it fits the description... the GT will have 400 horses...oh well, I only need to worry about my lincoln because I don't like those others.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #10
DMD3

Thats a sleet load of Horsepower.
Those McLaren cars have 600+ horse under the hood.(Probably burns gasoline so fast it'd make your stomach churn.)
Old 08-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #11
DMD3

Thats a sleet load of Horsepower.
Those McLaren cars have 600+ horse under the hood.(Probably burns gasoline so fast it'd make your stomach churn.)
Old 08-30-2003, 08:17 PM   #12
jg005@aol.com

Hi G Snyder

This is my favorate song in that album. It is a classic GL style. I especialy like the drum beat.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:17 PM   #13
jg005@aol.com

Hi G Snyder

This is my favorate song in that album. It is a classic GL style. I especialy like the drum beat.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:43 PM   #14
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

gwen,

if I had to pick one word in a GL song that was my favorite that's the one...

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #15
violet Blue Horse

I lost what little affection I had for frogs this summer. I spent a good part of the summer living in a house across from a golf course pond. Every freakin night those frogs started in. There must have been a hundred of them over there. Unfortunately coyotes, owles and wolves don't appear to care much for frogs legs.

Frogs and toads have just lost what little appeal they had.

quote:Originally posted by gwen snyder:

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited August 31, 2003).]
Old 08-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #16
violet Blue Horse

I lost what little affection I had for frogs this summer. I spent a good part of the summer living in a house across from a golf course pond. Every freakin night those frogs started in. There must have been a hundred of them over there. Unfortunately coyotes, owles and wolves don't appear to care much for frogs legs.

Frogs and toads have just lost what little appeal they had.

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited August 31, 2003).]
Old 09-01-2003, 05:04 AM   #17
fowlesjohn

Violetblue horse
I know how you feel that is where we live across from a golf course and they have numerous swamps over there, so the noise rises to a cacophony. Oh well, my husband thinks it's wonderful...I'm from the city so I have other opinions.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:04 AM   #18
gwen snyder

Violetblue horse
I know how you feel that is where we live across from a golf course and they have numerous swamps over there, so the noise rises to a cacophony. Oh well, my husband thinks it's wonderful...I'm from the city so I have other opinions.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:54 AM   #19
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Violetblue horse

Hmmm. That last remark has sparked my curiosity. Would you rather listen to honking car horns and blaring sirens?
One thing I do enjoy about Northern Maine is the sounds of nature. I hear the croaking toad symphony each summer night, along with the counter-melody of a howling coyote or two, a lone moose bellowing out the bassline, and more than a few Canadian geese providing the harmony. I'll take that over sirens and horns any day of the week.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:19 AM   #20
srodts-palenik

watchman ...

i can only agree in what you say. we've been 'out of town', if you will, for over ten years now.

i do not miss the wailing of siren, the crash of BFI dumpsters at 4 AM, the stench of diesel fuel, the eye burning of industrial waste, the torridity of concrete, the temerity of city tensions ... i could never return to town...

we have the sweet aroma of pine, the swishing of cattails on the pond, dragonflies with their damsels resting on the deck, rabbit en 'masse, frogs galore, weekly coyote visits, bobcats on the prowl and our Australian Shepard sharing dinner with a family of Cardinals.

i do, however,suffer the drone of a tractor working a field somewhere on Saturday mornings and that suits me right down to the ground.

unfortunately, we must work in the city. we drive about 130 miles a day to and from work.
and i wouldn't change it for the world .... except for perhaps a more remote location!

best regards,

ambrose

ps ..... here's a quick tour of Croaking Frog Farm .. be sure to do the slide show http://farmfotos.croakingfrogfarm.com/album10

[This message has been edited by ambrose (edited September 01, 2003).]
Old 09-01-2003, 10:19 AM   #21
ambrose

watchman ...

i can only agree in what you say. we've been 'out of town', if you will, for over ten years now.

i do not miss the wailing of siren, the crash of BFI dumpsters at 4 AM, the stench of diesel fuel, the eye burning of industrial waste, the torridity of concrete, the temerity of city tensions ... i could never return to town...

we have the sweet aroma of pine, the swishing of cattails on the pond, dragonflies with their damsels resting on the deck, rabbit en 'masse, frogs galore, weekly coyote visits, bobcats on the prowl and our Australian Shepard sharing dinner with a family of Cardinals.

i do, however,suffer the drone of a tractor working a field somewhere on Saturday mornings and that suits me right down to the ground.

unfortunately, we must work in the city. we drive about 130 miles a day to and from work.
and i wouldn't change it for the world .... except for perhaps a more remote location!

best regards,

ambrose

ps ..... here's a quick tour of Croaking Frog Farm .. be sure to do the slide show http://farmfotos.croakingfrogfarm.com/album10

[This message has been edited by ambrose (edited September 01, 2003).]
Old 09-01-2003, 02:59 PM   #22
violet Blue Horse

We're talking a hundred or more frogs, all night every night. I could hear the sound in every room in the house with all the doors and windows closed. I live in the mountains. They were the only sound at night except for the occasional coyote or wolf. The golf course is part of a natural meadow lined on both sides by hills with houses on them. The sound bounced and bounced and bounced.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Hmmm. That last remark has sparked my curiosity. Would you rather listen to honking car horns and blaring sirens?
One thing I do enjoy about Northern Maine is the sounds of nature. I hear the croaking toad symphony each summer night, along with the counter-melody of a howling coyote or two, a lone moose bellowing out the bassline, and more than a few Canadian geese providing the harmony. I'll take that over sirens and horns any day of the week.

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited September 01, 2003).]
Old 09-01-2003, 02:59 PM   #23
violet Blue Horse

We're talking a hundred or more frogs, all night every night. I could hear the sound in every room in the house with all the doors and windows closed. I live in the mountains. They were the only sound at night except for the occasional coyote or wolf. The golf course is part of a natural meadow lined on both sides by hills with houses on them. The sound bounced and bounced and bounced.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited September 01, 2003).]
Old 09-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #24
srodts-palenik

and speaking of Maine.....

cathy, we've been enamoured with the Lubec/East Port a-way Down East.

we have two locations in mind to retire in ... Down East, on the shore of course, and Upper Michigan in Chippawa County near Paradise. .. just stones throw from Whitefish Point.

hmmm,in Paradise there is a small coffee shop for sale. could be a great acoustic venue. we'll be up that way in three weeks. we've contacted the real estate agent ..... ya just never know what the future holds .... maybe nothin' , maybe alot!

ambrose
Old 09-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #25
ambrose

and speaking of Maine.....

cathy, we've been enamoured with the Lubec/East Port a-way Down East.

we have two locations in mind to retire in ... Down East, on the shore of course, and Upper Michigan in Chippawa County near Paradise. .. just stones throw from Whitefish Point.

hmmm,in Paradise there is a small coffee shop for sale. could be a great acoustic venue. we'll be up that way in three weeks. we've contacted the real estate agent ..... ya just never know what the future holds .... maybe nothin' , maybe alot!

ambrose