banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
dad2mak

Default Which Lightfoot Do You Like Best?

I thought it might be fun to ask this question of the group...

Which Lightfoot do you like the best? Here are my (arbitrary) categories:

1. The wandering minstrel/troubador (Lightfoot–Red Shea-John Stockfish)

2. The countrified Lightfoot (Lightfoot–Pee Wee Charles–Rick Haynes–Terry Clemens)

3. The pop singer Lightfoot (Lightfoot–Rick Haynes–Terry Clemens–Mike Hefernan–Barry Keane)

4. The elder stateman Lightfoot (the current guys and most recent songs)

I'll be interested in the posts to come.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
joveski

Default Re: Which Lightfoot Do You Like Best?

personally like the 1970-1985 period the best
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
2silent2breal

Default Let me be the first to cop out.

All of the above
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
banjobench12

Definitely #2 but I think there were a few years where there was Pee Wee but also Barry. That was the best configuration, in my view
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

I like his look and his voice during the 70's and 80's, but the Gord of today is a joy to see in concert. The way he interacts with the fans makes us feel as if we know him. He really seems to enjoy this phase of his career. As for his music, I think he has always written fabulous songs, so no time period outshines another in my mind. The old songs are great, but songs like "Clouds of Loneliness" and "Sometimes I Wish" are among his best.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
curiousmoonbeam

For vocals I think the "Gord's Gold" era was the best. As for songwriting I also feel that he has been strong throughout his career. He seemed to have struggled with it, though, in that it caused him a great deal of isolation. Just as a side note, just read Ian Tyson's "The Long Trail" and I think his writing is a refuge to him - just my humble opinion. Actually meeting Gord, our poet genius last October, although for just a few minutes and getting an autograph, was absolutely awsome. Won't make the Hershey concert but hope to see him at Jim Thorpe in the fall. Kind of got off the track. Blessings to you all!
CM
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
charlene

I got Tyson's book for Christmas and found that he took his writing and music as refuge and his horses/ranching as his life..and sadly, both seemed to overtake his relationships with everyone he was close to. I found a lot of the book quite sad yet the joy he derived from his ranch and horses/rodeo life was quite apparent. He's a no bullcrap realist and it was nice to read about his life written in such a bluntly realistic and truthful way.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
formerlylavender

formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Maybe it's #1+ or #2- but epitomized by the Don Quixote era? The time he describes (perhaps) in APPT when he sings:

"I was in my stride, always at my game
Here comes mister cool, along the walk of fame
I was in demand, always in control
The world was in my hands, my touch had turn to gold
Once upon a time, I was in a daze when
I was in my prime, once along the way"

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
jj

1b) 1970

Gord, Rick, Red, Terry

http://www.lightfoot.ca/evoluton.htm

ie. no drums, no pedal steel, no keyboards... just tasty pickin' and a simple groove (oh, and some pretty decent vocals )
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
dad2mak

I wonder how many picked the Lightfoot they liked best as the Lightfoot they were first introduced to?

I was first introduced to Lightfoot by a girl I was dating who lived in Santa Ana CA named Jeannie Merrit. She played me the "Did She Mention My Name" album, and I was hooked for life. So that's my favorite GL, the one who wrote "Did She Mention My Name," "Mountains and Maryann," "Wherefore and Why."

And that was my first GL concert too, Gordon, Red Shea, and Rick Haynes at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in 1969. 3rd row center, aisle seat.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
2silent2breal

Despite copping out earlier in the thread, I really do have an opinion here. Count me among the 1's with a sprinkling of 2. The first album I purchased was Summer Side of Life and I wore it down completely to the point that I needed to purchase it again two years later. I still marvel at the number of unbelievably good songs the man wrote between the late 60's and mid to late 70's and how well those songs have held up over the years. His voice during that period was perfect for the songs he sings. Instrumentally, I favor acoustic but also think Pee Wee's steel complimented the arrangements perfectly.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
redhead

With his music being consistently good for so many years, my favorite period in his evolution keeps changing and largely depends on my mood at the time.

Regarding the man himself, I adore the kind and humble persona he now carries with him. He consistently comes across as such a kind and decent man; humble and nice.

I like "nice".
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
BendRick

Everything from Summer Side of Life to Summertime Dream, with the additions of Shadows and Songbook.
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

I go through spells where I'll like the 60's Lightfoot, then I usually skip ahead to the 80's Lightfoot, then the current Lightfoot (1993 and up) then I'll usually fall back in love with the 1970's.

Just as it's hard to choose a favorite song because your preferences can change, so it is when choosing an 'era' of Gord.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
Wes Steele

Wow, what a great question.... one of the best here on Corfid.

I liked reading all of your comments also. Very good. You all brought out some interesting points and I agree with all of you.

There are good points in all categories. I have favorites from each one.

GL has given my family great joy through the years. It is neat to see my 14 year old boy and his friend listen to his songs constantly. GL's songs ARE timeless.

I have great memories from each category. I have been patient lately and hung around after the show to meet him and that has been unbelievable for me. Like a number of you said, he is very humble....but very relaxed these past years.

There have been times in the past where GL has seemed apprehensive on stage, though he sounded great. There must have been a lot of pressure on him, whether it was personal or business....But everytime I saw him, he sounded great on stage.

GL has helped me through out my life with his music. And if you have been able to study him closely through the years, you can learn from him. I have... and I am still learning from him.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
bjm7777

1975 to 1985...1980 to 83 as the favorite....
Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #18
brink-

#1 easing into #2 are my favorites......can't pick just one! But as Lisa said, I really like the friendly Gord version that we have now.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
niffer

While it almost goes without saying that you can't really go wrong with whichever era you choose, I always seem to go back to the songs from 1970-76. Six of my personal Top Ten are from this period. Although when I think about it, that's only 60%. It just shows how much there is to choose from.
I generally listen to the very early songs the least, but whenever I do, I am always amazed at the power and clarity of his voice.
And having had the great privilege to talk with him in the past few years, I too am thrilled with what a gracious person he is. "Nice" is good.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #20
David

I'll approach this from the opposite direction. My least favourite period, which is still better than 95% of anything else that's out there, would be mid-80s to late 90s (East of Midnight to Painter). This period is good, but everything else before and after is absolutely stellar.

It can also come down to the day and whatever mood fancies me. With artists who have been around for awhile, sometimes I want early, sometimes middle, sometimes late.

Today? Too early; haven't decided yet.
David is offline   Reply With Quote