banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
SomewhereupinMichigan

I know that, in the past, much has been written about Gord's travers-style of playing. With Santa all but assuring me that he'll be leaving a new guitar under my tree in a couple of days, I'd like to ask those of you who are knowledgeable about such things to post your recommendations for the best sources: on-line, DVD/CD based, Books, etc. for learning guitar and, particularly, learning how to finger "a la Gord!" I know that nothing beats regular lessons from a skilled instructor but, since that may not be in the immediate future, what do you all recommend for the beginning guitarist to get started? I look forward to your suggestions!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Iron

I could tell you how I did ,but if you'd like to know the right way,check with Cathy.She is probably one of, if not the most knowledgable picker's on this site to help you out.
I can tell you that if you like learning guitar and you like Gordon,s work.....You'll never have another day that you will say,"I don't have nothing to do."...Happy Picken

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:47 PM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Iron:
I could tell you how I did ,but if you'd like to know the right way,check with Cathy.She is probably one of, if not the most knowledgable picker's on this site to help you out.
I can tell you that if you like learning guitar and you like Gordon,s work.....You'll never have another day that you will say,"I don't have nothing to do."...Happy Picken

Thanks for the compliment, Iron, but believe me, there are several people on this group and the newsgroup who could teach me a thing or two.

SWUIM, spend the first three months or so learning first position open chords, particularly A, B7, C, D, E, F and G. Then learn Am (minor), Bbm (B flat minor), Dm, Em, Fm, Gm. Then learn the corresponding 7th and minor 7th chords. Learn which chord groupings go together, like G, D, C; A, D, E, etc., and concentrating on switching chords smoothly.
There are several online sites that can help you out. http://www.wholenote.com and http://www.guitarnoise.com are two good ones. They both have beginner lessons. If you go to google and search 'beginner guitar lessons' you'll come up with many, many sites.
Once you can smoothly change chords and do simple songs, (Alberta Bound is an easy one to learn), then start concentrating on learning how to fingerpick. Start with simple picking patterns. You have to train your fingers to pick. They won't automatically know how to do it, even if your brain has learned how to do it. It's called muscle memory, something you learn by repetition. When you can comfortably do simple picking patterns without having to think about each move, then tackle Travis style. Again, go to google and search 'guitar fingerpicking lessons' and then go on to 'travis fingerpicking lessons'. In this day and age, there really isn't a good reason to go out and spend a bunch of money when there is so much available online.
Another suggestion: Once you have your chord changes up to speed, seek out other musicians to jam with. They don't have to be advanced players. You'd be better off playing with people who are at your own skill level, or perhaps just slightly above it. Check out the adult ed classes in your area. Many of them offer beginner guitar courses.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and maybe start hanging out at the Lightfoot guitar chat group. Contact Ed Mullen at ed at edmullen dot net to get set up in the group. There are many people who will take the time to teach you a thing or two, and you'll enjoy just listening to everyone. They meet every Tuesday at about 9PM eastern.
Don't try to overload your brain by learning to chord and fingerpick at the same time. Fingerpicking is something that takes years to develop. I've been doing it for about 35 years, and it took a whole lot of years to develop it into what I do today. I didn't have the benefit of having a teacher, or having online sources to help me out, so what I know is what I figured out and taught myself by listening to Gord, Paul Simon, Joan Baez and several others. You have a wealth of information at your fingertips, so hopefully it will speed up your learning process.
Most importantly, have fun doing it. Don't pressure yourself into learning to play in a few short months. It 'ain't gonna happen'. Learn some easy songs, have fun playing them and work your way up from there.

Good luck!

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited December 23, 2003).]
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:59 PM   #4
Gord

Reading all that makes me glad I took up the drums.... LOL
Old 12-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #5
SomewhereupinMichigan

Cathy: WOW! Thanks!!! I figured that, with all the great online stuff available, I should be able to "pick" things up pretty much on my own. I used to play banjo back in the good ol' days, but I haven't played in almost 25 years. I'm not sure having past experience picking a banjo will help or hinder me in learning how to pick guitar travis style. Time'll tell, but I know I'm going to enjoy myself along the way and go at my own pace.

Again, thanks for the terrific advice and Happy Holidays to all!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote