banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
mnmouse

I've been wondering how difficult it is to obtain a copyright. Do any of you have experience with that? I have no idea even where to begin, so I'd love to have someone give me some basic instruction in "Copyright 101". Thanks!

Sharron
Old 07-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
brink

When I worked for the Post Office we were trained in the "Poor Man's Copyright". Whatever it is that you want to be copyrighted put it in a container (letter or package) send it by registered mail to yourself with a return receipt and leave it unopened. It has the date stamp on it and that will give you a date that YOU had it. It does stand up in court as long as it has not been tampered with.
Otherwise - I don't know.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
mnmouse

Thank you both for the information. Deb, I appreciate the "poor man's copyright" info...nice to know it will stand up in court. Watchman, the site you provided the link for is just what I needed, it has answers to all of my questions/concerns.

Thanks again, to both of you!

Sharron

[ July 25, 2005, 06:26: Message edited by: mnmouse ]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:54 AM   #4
The Rez

Sharron,

That gov copyright site is great. I don't know if it told you, however, that under American Copyright Law, any original piece you create is automatically copyrighted.

The purpose of the Poor Man's copyright (which I've often done in my teens,) is to prove possession of the material as of the postmark date.

But, in reality, a legitimately registered and paid for copyright certificate will trump the Poor Man's copyright. I've seen it too many times while working for The Musician's Union West Coast Offices. That's particularly true for mechanical or electronic rights (explained at the site.)

My advice to you is to formally pay for and register your original works thru the US Copyright Office. It can get a little pricy, but there are ways around it.

The easiest way around the fee thing, is to copyright a "collection." Sorta like an album of material. You copyright as many works as you choose under one Title, pay one fee, and all the contents of that "collection" are protected.

Should success find you, vultures will stop at nothing to snatch your copyright, hence the wisdom of the formal Copyright Certificate.

Please believe me, it will trump the Poor Man's.

Also, when I mentioned how an original work is automatically copyrighted, that remains true only so long as it is not published in any form - any form. Public performance over live radio, for instance.

Hope that helps.

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
mnmouse

Hey Rez,

Thanks for the extra words of wisdom. I was perusing the copyright site and was thinking that perhaps a collection would be the best way for me to go...you have reinforced that decision for me. I appreciate the added insight.

Sharron
Old 07-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
The Rez

Sharron,

Good for you. a Collection saves much bucks while protecting each and every work therein w/ equal authority as if they were copyrighted separately. Man! Did that sound formal.

You might dig a bit further, too, as to your rights when a publisher decides to accept your work. The all to general Rule of Greed (Rule of Thumb?) is the author surrenders copyright ownership to the publisher as a condition of publication. Drag. But that's how they do it all too often.

That's how Michael Jackson came to own The Beatles catalogue, and others. They are bought and sold as commodities.

Also, something to consider: Join the American Federation of Musicians (The Union) You don't have to be an instrumentalist to do so. When you do, you'll have the full knowledge and support of the "real magilla" in the industry, which the Copyright Office can't address.

Carol Sato at the West Coast Headquarters of the AFM, is the finest expert I know. It's been 20yrs since I worked there, but Carol's still at it. Dick Gabriel runs the office. Should you ever contact them, say howdy from me.

They are both fine, extremely knowledable people and definately out to protect the copyright owner's rights - yours.

Keep me posted, OK. It's very exciting.

The Rez
Old 07-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
The Rez

Sharron,

A quick PS:

You might also look into creating your own publishing company, just for some leverage in protecting your work and ensuring a share of the pie.

It's not hard at all. There should also be info on that subject on the site. If not, let me know.

The Rez
Old 07-25-2005, 08:40 PM   #8
mnmouse

Appreciate all the help, Rez, thanks again, very much.

Sharron