banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2002, 11:36 AM   #1
Brian 57

Although I have become a blues guitarist in recent years, I was a folk enthusiast from the begining and naturaly drawn to Gordon Lightfoots style. I was first introduced to Gordon by my brother with "If You Could Read My Mind" and have been a fan ever since. I'm begining to wonder if my mind is escaping me but I'm sure some years ago I heard a version of "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" in which the base line was played on a fretless base but I can find no record of such a recording. If anyone knows of such a recording, I would love to know about it and where I could find it.

------------------
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 11:36 AM   #2
bluesmangary

Although I have become a blues guitarist in recent years, I was a folk enthusiast from the begining and naturaly drawn to Gordon Lightfoots style. I was first introduced to Gordon by my brother with "If You Could Read My Mind" and have been a fan ever since. I'm begining to wonder if my mind is escaping me but I'm sure some years ago I heard a version of "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" in which the base line was played on a fretless base but I can find no record of such a recording. If anyone knows of such a recording, I would love to know about it and where I could find it.

------------------
bluesmangary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 09:33 PM   #3
Brian 57

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Are you talking about a Lightfoot version with a fretless bass or someone else's version? I have not heard any Lightfoot version with a fretless bass. I don't think that a fretless bass would go good with Lightfoot's style. Just my opinion.

What brand of guitar or bass do you play?

I have three electric guitars. Carvin, Fender Stratocaster and Fender Telecaster.
Regarding the Gordon Lightfoot song, I could be mistaken but I was convinced I had a copy of it sometime in the past but it must have been the Gords Gold Volume II version. It's funny how the memory can play tricks on you sometimes. I used to play bass some years ago and had a fretless. I believe, in the right hands, a fretless would sound good in The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald.
Thanks for your reply.
GC
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 09:33 PM   #4
bluesmangary

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Are you talking about a Lightfoot version with a fretless bass or someone else's version? I have not heard any Lightfoot version with a fretless bass. I don't think that a fretless bass would go good with Lightfoot's style. Just my opinion.

What brand of guitar or bass do you play?

I have three electric guitars. Carvin, Fender Stratocaster and Fender Telecaster.
Regarding the Gordon Lightfoot song, I could be mistaken but I was convinced I had a copy of it sometime in the past but it must have been the Gords Gold Volume II version. It's funny how the memory can play tricks on you sometimes. I used to play bass some years ago and had a fretless. I believe, in the right hands, a fretless would sound good in The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald.
Thanks for your reply.
GC
bluesmangary is offline   Reply With Quote