banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #51
Brannah

I have a great video clip that I would like to add to this thread, is there any way I can post a video clip here? If not I can send it by email to whoever would like to see it.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:27 AM   #52
catmanron

Fantastic to see the picture of Gord on Stage with the poppy.
Here in Oz we also wear the poppy and observe a min. silence at 11am on the 11th November, although we now have no living World War one veterans, it is still a very special time for us.

All the best.. Ron.
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #53
Islandgirl

About poppies in USA

I live on Long Island, NY, and not only on Veterans Day, but on Memorial Day too, the veterans are everywhere selling poppies. I
remember giving one to my niece,Jenna, when she was around 5 years old [now 13]and explaining to her what it meant [although I never knew there was a poem]. We were grocery shopping. She wore it proudly [as I did mine]and a few years later saw it hanging on her mirror in her bedroom. My grandfather, who fought in WWI, was the one who taught me about poppies.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #54
Islandgirl

I meant giving away poppies and it's up to the person to make a donation or not.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #55
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Hang on a moment I thought Brannah asked a serious question above. Yes "yer tis"
Quote:
Originally posted by Brannah:
I have a great video clip that I would like to add to this thread, is there any way I can post a video clip here? If not I can send it by email to whoever would like to see it.
The straight answer is no. But you CAN register yourself and upload it to YouTube then post the link here plus post a sample screenshot from your video, (If you can play it on your computer,simply pause at a suitable place and press your print screen key). This will then copy a screenshot of the complete monitor view to your clipboard and if you have for example Microsoft Word or any graphics/draw program you can then paste the screenshot into a new document or drawing, with Word you then save it as a web page which creates a web page file *.htm and a folder containing the graphics files one of which should be a jpg picture file which you can then upload to imageshack.
But first please read my crash course at:-
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...c;f=1;t=004191
Tip
If you are playing your video in Windows Media Player and your screenshot comes out as a black rectangle go to tools>options>performance and
temporarily set the "video acceleration" to "None"
Note that this gives a screenshot of everthing you can see on your monitor
Alternatively I strongly recommend getting and learning the freeware version of Screenhunter
As with that lovely little utility you can capture any area you wish on the screen as a jpg format file
example here is a still picture from a quicktime (Mov) video file shot with my Nikon digital camera last Saturday morning showing some of the power of Niagara. a place quaintly shown on an AAA map as having a nearby airport called allegedly Buffalo- Niagra Airport
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:30 AM   #56
Yuri

Letter to Editor Printed in today's Toronto Sun mentions Gordon Lightfoot.

(November 25,2006 under "Comments"

http://www.torontosun.com

Letters
By SUN READERS

OUR FALLEN HEROES

On Friday, Nov. 10, my family and I were at Queen's Park receiving a plaque honouring my brother's service in the military.

My brother, Trooper Mark Wilson, was killed on Oct. 7, west of Kandahar. He and the other soldiers killed in Afghanistan are all Canadian heroes, including Canadian diplomat, Glen Barry, who was killed in a suicide bombing incident in Kandahar city.

I am responding to the article that Joe Warmington wrote Nov. 18 ("Page Ten").

Of course, I approve of Gordon Lightfoot's support of our troops. I more than approve, I applaud him. I wish more people in the public spotlight would show their support.

I applaud Joe's Page Ten and the work he has done following the rallies of support and his insight into the ongoing war in Afghanistan. Note, I do not hesitate calling it a war, which our soldiers did not want. There is no such thing as apeace keeping bullet/rocket/land mine.

Losing my brother on Thanksgiving weekend has obviously altered lives forever. The work our troops are doing in Afghanistan is not getting the kudos deserved. Risking their lives everyday for a country that is down and out and doing it quietly, as Canadian soldiershave always done, shows the courage/bravery that these men and women possess. Mark would call home and I would tell him about what was going on in the news. The last conversation I had with him was on Sept. 27, I told him about the rallies that were held in Toronto and Ottawa. He was extremely happy about that. I could tell in his voice that that was just what they needed to hear over there. These rallies really boost the morale of the soldiers.

I could go on forever, this is my big brother I'm talking about.

I read the Toronto Sun daily and enjoy what Joe Warmington does, especially if it has anything to do with supporting our troops.From the bottom of my heart and my family,thanks Joe.

Thanks also to Gordon Lightfoot. Exceptional men like him deserve to be honoured as do the men and women who risk their lives everyday. I have just become Gordon Lightfoot's biggest fan. I'm off to the music store this afternoon.

Scott Wilson

Dorchester, Ont.

(Our sincere condolences and thanks for taking the time to remind our readers that Canadian troops can use as much support as possible)

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #57
Jesse Joe

http://www.christmaswishmovie.com/
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #58
Jesse Joe

Published Tuesday January 30th, 2007
Appeared on page D7

What the war is all about

To The Editor:

The following is a letter we received from my son, Matthew, who is serving in Afghanistan and I think it will serve to let the public know what our Canadian soldiers are doing there:

Good Day all:

So far this tour I have received a few comments thrown my way expressing concern. I shall attempt to clear up any misconceptions anyone may have in regards to what I'm doing over here, and what my goals are.

First of all, Khandahar, Afghanistan is a war zone. During my first two tours here I was part of ISAF (International Security Assistance Force).

Our job was to secure the Capital of Afghanistan, Kabul. We did that. Our next job was to set up an interim government so that they could have an Afghan president and begin governing themselves. We did that.

This tour, however, is different from my previous tours in Afghanistan, or any other tour since the 1950s Korean conflict for that matter. There is an armed enemy in Khandahar. They are called the Taliban. In order to retake this country and give it back to the Afghan people we must take control of this area. It is the homeland of the Taliban and the lifeline to their existence.

That's why they are putting up such resistance. The end game is near. My specific job on this tour is to kill as many as we can before the battle group moves in and takes this piece of land back from the Taliban. I'm not here to win the hearts and minds of the local population. The innocent people have all left. They were given warning of our intent and anyone who stays will be considered enemy. And that's what we are doing. We are fighting against another enemy. Every Taliban we capture or kill had the opportunity to just leave, or throw down their weapons and surrender.

Instead they decided their own fate by taking up arms and fighting to the death. We are not an invading army like the Russians during the 10 year war. We are liberating this country from a terrorist organization and will hand it over to the people of Afghanistan when it is safe.

Unfortunately war is graphic, and as for head counts, they are needed to assess battle capabilities of the enemy. War can be messy, yet can be as involved as a game of chess, and either way war has been around since the beginning of time. Even the Holy Christian church had their crusades.

I've been on four previous tours where I handed out goats to starting farmers and driven around Bosnia with chickens loaded in the back for families just now returning home because it is safe to do so after 20 years, due to the efforts of myself and other soldiers before me.

I've stood side by side with my fellow solders holding back an angry mob stopping them from crossing a river to massacre a group of innocent Albanians.

I've even spent over a year driving around hostile countries dodging landmines restricted by rules of engagement that prohibited me from returning fire unless I was already hit.

I've given a small Afghan child my jacket because he was so cold his lips were turning blue. I've been spat on, and picked up flyers in Macedonia that read "Go home NATO baby killers". Despite all that we still continue on with our mission.

I've done my time as a peacekeeper, however this war is different, because that is what it is . . . war.

We are not out here murdering women and small children, these are not innocent farmers just trying to live in their own little part of the world. Those people have all left. Unfortunately war creates displaced people. The innocent must leave their homes. But they can return once our job is complete and believe it or not, they will be better off. Before we ever fired the first round in this area (Panjway) the Canadian Psychological Operations dropped leaflets over the whole area telling people to leave or they will be shot. We deal with village elders and set up timings for the locals to return to cultivate their crops. So it's not like we just said get out and don't come back. Everyone left except the Taliban.

They stayed to fight. These people live to kill Canadians and other coalition forces. The Taliban we kill today won't be able to plant that IED tomorrow that takes me out. I'm not here to murder innocent people, I'm here to fight alongside of my fellow soldiers to complete a mission that was set upon us by our government that was elected by the majority of each and every one of us.

I've seen how these Taliban run a country. I've driven past the National mosque where the Taliban executed 150 innocent civilians in order to instill fear and compliancy in the population so that they would think twice about breaking their rules. I've stood on the bridge where they hanged people who broke their rules, as trivial as they might sound. Let's just say you want to relax for a bit. You send the children out to go fly a kite while you kick back and listen to your favorite tune on the radio and throw on a bit of nail polish. It's a nice warm day and you doze off to sleep with the sound of your pet bird chirping away on the window sill.

Oh! Oh! Here comes Mister Taliban and all hell breaks loose. They start by pulling your fingernails out for wearing nail polish or jewelry, but don't worry, it won't hurt long. Soon you'll be hanged from a bridge for having a radio or a caged bird . . . Who will feed your children you ask? Not a problem they'll be swinging next to you for flying a kite.

That's the kind of people we fight and kill every day. For every life I take on the battlefield I'm creating a better life in the future.

I do not exaggerate my stories, nor will I make them sound any different that what they are. Graphic tales of the sights and sounds your fellow Canadians witness every day. If you think reading my stories makes it hard to fall asleep at night, try writing them.

Sorry folks, war just isn't PG-13.

I really don't see the big problem anyway since we have all seen actual footage of The Second World War. You think all those young men storming the beaches of Normandy got up and walked away when the filming was done? What's the difference between seeing documented footage of someone dying 50 years ago and hearing a story about what happened yesterday to my comrades?

If you want the truth . . . hold on because it will be a bumpy ride. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

There is word that the regiment may receive a battle honour for the battle of Panjway. Battle Honors are sewn onto our regimental flag , which is carried into battle and used as a rallying point after a battle. Since 1883 the Royal Canadian Dragoons have earned 25 Battle Honours. You can see that they are not handed out like candy at Christmas.

The actions of the troops during the battle of Panjway will do down in history. In 50 years from now what I will have written here will be no different than what you'd see on an A&E documentary about the Second World War today.

As for taking the life of a soldier trying to take mine, it's not the act of killing, it's more the satisfaction that I've done my job, and made the country safer for every son, daughter, mother, father serving their country here in Afghanistan. Because have no doubt. He was trying to kill them.

It's not a free for all over here. We have rules of engagement we must follow. I cannot discuss them but before anyone pulls the trigger, there are certain criteria that must be met.

Boudreau-West

(Via e-mail)

[ January 30, 2007, 08:01: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #59
Jesse Joe

Newly arrived members of the 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment pose beside a Canadian flag left behind on their bunker on Saturday, Feb.3, 2007. Left to right are Pte. Brad Eatman, Cpl. Steve Bungay, Pte. John Geue, Master Cpl. Mark Turcotte, Pte. Rob Cummer, Pte., Corey Balcom, Sgt. Dwayne Jackman and Cpl. Brian Hilson. The first wave of 1,160 troops from the 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) and reserve units from around Atlantic Canada have begun pouring into the trenches, dugouts and fortified positions in the Panjwaii and Zhari districts of Afghanistan, west of Kandahar.

NBers reach battlefield

For Cpl. Alexander Darroch, the last six months of combat in southern Afghanistan have been "one big spin" in his mind.

It's been a mad kaleidoscope of firefights, seemingly endless stretches of boredom, rocket attacks, unbearable heat, patrols, sweat, food in plastic bags, infrequent showers and more patrols.

All that came to an end this weekend as members of Bravo Company, 1st Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR), based in Petawawa, Ont., were relieved by fresh troops from bases in Atlantic Canada.

"Good luck to these guys," said Darroch, who spoke reluctantly.

Hopefully they stay safe, know what I mean?" "The weather's starting to warm up again and hopefully they have a better go than we did.

CP
A view of the bunker and trench system as fresh troops of the 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment from CFB Gagetown arrive on Saturday at Strong Point Centre, west of Kandahar.
Everything that Darroch didn't want to say was betrayed by the slight trembling of his hand.

The first wave of 1,160 troops from the CFB Gagetown-based 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) and reserve units from around Atlantic Canada have begun pouring into the trenches, dugouts and fortified positions in the Panjwaii and Zhari districts, west of Kandahar. They are replacing soldiers who have endured the bloodiest combat Canadians have seen in half a century - fighting that took the lives of 19 soldiers since August.

What they have lived through, witnessed and done has left an indelible mark on each one of them. Pte. Jacob Williams' family and friends have noticed it already.

"I'm told on leave that I look different, act different," said the Hamilton native, who seemed thin and tired.

"I can't explain it to you because I have no idea what they're talking about, (but) I'll give it to them. I've seen a lot of weird stuff. Some of the guys have done a lot of weird stuff. I'm sure it's changed us all - who knows what, for ... better or worse."

CP
Sgt. David Horocuk, of 2nd Battalion Royal Canadian Regiment based at CFB Gagetown, takes a break Saturday at Strong Point Centre west of Kandahar, Afghanistan
The homecoming to the so-called real world, where some in Canada are skeptical of the need of their sacrifice, will be challenging.

As Col. Omer Lavoie toured strong points - fortified positions - this weekend along Route Summit, the road Canada is building outside Panjwaii, he was mindful of the wounds his men will carry home.

"I was asked at one point in time whether I have any scars," said Lavoie, who's seen his vehicle splayed with shrapnel.

A Canadian soldier stands guard yesterday after a suicide attack on the outskirts of Kandahar. A suicide bomber in an explosives filled car attacked a NATO convoy. No NATO troops were injured in the blast.
"Sincerely, I've got 19 scars. I lost 19 soldiers across this tour. That's going to be part of me. That's going to be part of every soldier that leaves this tour because there isn't one soldier who hasn't lost a very close friend, a good buddy or a leader, myself included."

On Nov. 27, Lavoie lost his regimental sergeant major, Chief Warrant Officer Robert Girouard, to a suicide bomber attack.

"That moment is certainly scarred in me forever, but so is the life of every other of the soldiers I've lost in this theatre," he said.

[ February 05, 2007, 06:46: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Old 02-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #60
Jesse Joe

Old 01-24-2024, 01:37 PM   #61
charlene

Default Re: Red Friday

wristband Gordon was given at the Red Rally in September can be seen in the photo from Nov.2006 Massey concert meet and greet....
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 01:39 PM   #62
charlene

Default Re: Red Friday

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote