banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
charlene

Torontostar.com

LIGHTFOOT

LIGHTFOOT, Brita Ingegerd Kristina (nee Olaisson) (b.Dec.3, 1935) -Passed away peacefully at Scarborough General Hospital on Wednesday, June 8, 2005, in her 70th year. Beloved Mother of Fred (Leynie) and Ingrid (Terry). Much loved ''Granny'' of Amber, Johnny and Ben. Fondly remembered by her former husband Gordon. Special thanks to the doctors and nurses of C.P. 1 Unit of Scarborough General Hospital. Friends will be received at the DIXON-GARLAND FUNERAL HOME, 166 Main St. N. (Markham Rd.), Markham on Saturday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Service in the Chapel on Sunday at 2 p.m. Cremation. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be appreciated.

[ June 21, 2005, 09:48: Message edited by: Florian ]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

Funny but I never thought of Brita as a senior citizen (not that I ever knew or met her); she's always in my mind's eye in her early 30s, mom to the young Fred and Ingrid. I hope she found some happiness in later years, especially with the grandkids.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
ELizabeth

Much like you Aub. Annie, I will always see Brita as the gorgeous tall platnum blond walking beside a young GL in the pictures from the 'Sunday Concert'. Hard to realize that enough years have passed for her to be 70. Was she living in Toronto when she died? I guess so. Seems strange somehow.

Does anyone know what the names in parens beside Fred's and Ingrid's names mean?
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Gord H

Quote:
Originally posted by ELizabeth:
Much like you Aub. Annie, I will always see Brita as the gorgeous tall platnum blond walking beside a young GL in the pictures from the 'Sunday Concert'. Hard to realize that enough years have passed for her to be 70. Was she living in Toronto when she died?

Does anyone know what the names in parens beside Fred's and Ingrid's names mean?
That would be the names of their spouses.
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
ELizabeth

Thanks Gord.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
I hope she found some happiness in later years, ....
That's what I was thinking, wondering... Hope she had a nice life.
Kimberly
Old 06-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
bjb

Sad to hear. But also good that she is remembered fondly.

I remember reading in the IYCRHM book that she said someone should write a book about her because her life was much more interesting than Gord's, so I guess she accomplished some things she wanted to ...
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #8
Borderstone

My heartfelt sympathies to Gordon and his offspring. I know how sad it is to lose someone you care or cared about.

It's somewhat ironic at this moment that I hear of her passing because last night NBC re-ran Gordon's 1976 appearence on SNL,so in an unexpected way,it's almost like seeing him singing "Spanish Moss" was almost like a tribute without originally intending to be one.

They may have divorced a long time ago,but I'm sure that makes her loss no less emotional for him and family.
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
My heartfelt sympathies to Gordon and his offspring. I know how sad it is to lose someone you care or cared about...
They may have divorced a long time ago,but I'm sure that makes her loss no less emotional for him and family.
My thoughts exactly.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
The Rez

A-men

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
user

"nee" means literally "born". (pronounced "nay") it means that Olaisson was her maiden name.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:07 AM   #12
Melody

Hello All,
Gord's daughter Ingrid here...Thank you all for your kind words.
Some answers to your Q's...I can't tell you how much I miss her still. I am now 40yrs old with 2 kids, Amber 20, in University and Johnny 18, in grade 12. I divorced their father 15yrs. ago and now have been living with Terry for several years. My brother Fred is 42 and is married to Leynie and they have 2 kids, Ben 3, and Kristina 21/2 months. My kids loved their "Granny" so much and it breaks my heart that my brother's kids will not know her...
Mom was definately not the senior type. She was still beautiful at 69, looked 60. She took care of herself and had no bad habits. She was a very happy person and lots of fun. Very stable. She loved her grandchildren dearly and devoted alot of time to them. Her passion was always Gardening. She had a serious green thumb! She also studied antiques. In the winter she was a snow bird and myself and my 2 kids would join her every year for a week or two. I will miss that. I will still travel but there won't be anymore home cooked meals. She was a fabulous cook too! Scandinavian style. As far as where she lived goes, she had her cottage on lake Simcoe raised and converted into a home and had lived there for several years. There she gardened to her hearts content. HUGE garden! She would start at 7am and go until 5. I plan to move up there, sell my house here and commute to work. I just can't part with her home...I feel so happy when I go there and always feel sad about leaving. So, that's what I will do!
As far as a book about Mom, definately would have been interesting! She was an economics major if some of you didn't know, hence, business savy. So many interesting jobs and experiences.
I miss her, my kids miss her but alot of her has rubbed off on us and we are all doing fine.
Thank you all again for your posts, and if it's possible to look up In Memoriums, I put one in on August 8th of last year in the Toronto Star for the 1st year anniversary of her death.
Take Care All, I'll be at the concert at Massey on Sat. Perhaps some of you will be there
Dad is fine by the way, getting ready for his second show tonight!
Ingrid
Old 11-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #13
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Dear Ingrid/Melody,

Thanks for your post. WOW !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
Gitchigumee

Ingrid, I am so sorry for your loss. I understand that she has been gone for some time now, however, I was unaware of it until now. I am assuming your mother had been ill for some time, having died so young, but you know that doesn't make it hurt any less when they finally go. I'm 42 so about the same age as you, and I lost my mother-in-law 2 years ago, she was 86, had cancer, and went very quickly (2 months from time of diagnosis). I still think of her each day and miss her very, very much. I fear the day when my own parents leave this earth, and cannot imagine how painful it must be for you.

It sounds like you had an awesome relationship with your mother! That is great! As the years go by, those memories will become more and more precious to you.

Lastly, thank you so much for sharing with us here. It really means alot. I for one am in awe that you took the time to do it. We all care for and respect your father so much as I'm sure you know if you're visiting this web site, and that caring and concern extends to his family as well. Even though there was a divorce years ago, it is normal to always hold a special place in one's heart for the ex, and when they are gone forever, it still hurts.

Thank you so much for sharing with us!
- Ruth in Wisconsin

[ November 17, 2006, 09:18: Message edited by: Gitchigumee ]
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
Peter Bro10

Welcome Ingrid,
It's very nice to hear from you.
I only joined corfid a couple of months ago, and I regret but did not know of your mother's passing. please accept my/our belated condolences.
I'm one of those who feels that your dad has given so much to those of us that love his music, that I tend to want to respect his privacy and personal life. Nonetheless, it's very gratifying to hear what you had to say here.
Thanks again for stopping in here and posting!!!
Warmest regards,
PeterBro10
ps, please tell "dad", on behalf of all of us here, that the corfidians wish him a happy birthday!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
SilverHeels

Welcome Ingrid!
I saw your mother once, a long time ago, and she was indeed very beautiful.
Thank you so much for posting and for the update.I know how you are missing her. I lost my own mother not so long ago and miss her still every day.
Sadly, this year, I have to miss Massey but it is so good to hear first hand that your 'Dad' is doing great.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
GJA

So nice to read your posting, Ingrid. I lost my own mother 23 years ago this Nov. 2nd. and miss her every day.

Give your father my wishes for a "happy birthday".

Last edited by GJA; 11-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #18
GJA

So nice to read your posting, Ingrid. I lost my own mother 23 years ago this Dec. 2nd. and miss her every day.

Give your father my wishes for a "happy birthday".
Old 11-17-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Auburn Annie

Dear Ingrid/Melody (how appropriate!),

Thanks for the post. I know how you feel as I lost my mom three weeks ago tomorrow. The family home already feels strange without her, even more than when dad died in 2003. She didn't share your mother's gift for gardening; I inherited Mom's "black" thumb - we could both kill plastic plants. But she was lucky in love AND cards, and she passed that along as well. It's a good thing to have such wonderful memories. You're right to keep her place.

Happy birthday to your dad, from those of not lucky enough to be at Massey this year. Hope there are many more, for you, your kids, and his fans.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Jennifer

Ingrid how nice of you to take a moment to share those sentiments on this board!
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #21
Borderstone

Hi Ingrid. I'm Borderstone or (Walter)

I wasn't old enough or familiar enough with your dad's work in the past to have known about him and your mother,before joining up here.

I will say though,that,feeling like I know your father through his music,I know your mother had to have been the best!

Especially given your dad's romantic nature in a lot of his songs that reflect my own romantic notions twords the opposite gender.
Especially in the song,"My Love For You".

I can appreciate his words & music because I'm a (want to be) songriter & music fan myself.

I lost my dad over 6 years ago and understand what a heart-breaking experience it can be.
He was just under 2 months older than your father.
Sometimes,and I'm not embarrased to say,I think of your father often when I think of my dad,because they are of the same generation and my dad also wanted to be a singer too.

Unfortunatly,my father smoked for 50 years.

If it's not too much to ask of you,would you let your father know how much his music means to me? Not just for the above reason but being from Erie,PA/Great Lakes area myself...his music reminds me so much of that place and time.
It also just reaches me more than anyone else's has ever done.

I thank you for taking time to read this and all of our replies and I'll be seeing your dad when he comes to Phoenix on January 28th. For me,it's been an honor and a treat to have seen his show even once. I'm in Phoenix,Arizona and I wish I could join you at Massey too.

Did you know your father's 40th anniversary playing there is this coming March 31st?

Lastly,it's been an honor talking of him here. Mainly because 5 years ago,I barely knew his work but now there's no male singer (or groups) whose work I admire more.

God Bless you,your father and your family and tell him we all say Happy Birthday to him.

Bye,now.

[ November 17, 2006, 17:45: Message edited by: Borderstone ]
Old 11-18-2006, 09:07 AM   #22
Melody

Thank you all so much for your posts! Very sweet of you all..Thank you also to Charlene for posting Mom's Obituary. Mom was the best, for sure and this Christmas will be the second without her. 1yr.1/2 passes quickly..I think about her every day. I am grateful to have had her as my Mother.
Two songs I hope to hear tonight at Massey are: "Your Beautiful" & "Spanish Moss", which will probably make me quite emotional as I believe they both refer to my Mom...as do many others from way back when...
I missed the last concert at Massey because Mom was in the hospital(1 month total)so I'm excited about tonight's show.
Yes it was Dad's B Day yesterday and I will wish him happiness and greetings from your group! He is however, a very private person, therefore I cannot give out much info other than he's still working out & working & loving it! I don't think he'll ever stop. Yes, I am very proud of him and his talent, he's doing what he loves. He is very grateful for his fans! Where would he be without you/them? Must have audience!
Take Care, and Thanks Again to All of You,
Ingrid
Old 11-18-2006, 10:30 AM   #23
Peter Bro10

You know, Ingrid, before reading this thread I knew nothing of your mother, or you for that matter.
I must say that I'm much impressed, both with you and what you related of your mother. If you reflect your mother, she must have been tremendous, (we are afterall living legecies of our parents)!
If you care to write more about your mother, perhaps Char could find someplace here at corfid, outside of a regular thread, to post it? That Charlene is something special isn't she? She does alot here and it's greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for relating our sentiments to your dad!
Warmest regards,
Peter

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #24
musky_man

Ingrid,

Your presence here and your words mean a lot to us all. Been following your dad's career for almost 40 years. The thing that I hope he really knows and understands in the deepest way possible is, how much we genuinely care about and respect him, and how much his music has impacted us all. There are songs of his that have been so heartfelt for me, that I sometimes wonder (as I am sure all corfids do) if they were written about me and for me.

I lost my mom 11 years ago; she was a great person who raised 3 boys through all sorts of adversity. Moms are special, and sometimes it seems, even from their resting place, they still, in some strange way, have their arms wrapped around you.

Be there tonight with my brother, Paul (a guitar player and student of Red), to listen to what I am sure will be another great line-up of tunes.

Best to you and your family.

Mark
Old 11-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #25
Melody

Thanks again, to all of you!
Tell Paul I'll be in row F floor, with funky hair, Right side. I'll be at the side door during intermission having a smoke...(I know, not good...)
Ingrid