banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
zoneranger

I've just discovered Pete Seeger's music and if you haven't---you should!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
closetcanadian

I certainly second your recommendation, zone ranger! Pete Seeger is a legend not only in folk music circles, but also for his tireless efforts on behalf of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s. Columbia re-released his Greatest Hits album on their Legacy label in 2002. Well worth a listen...
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
brink-

Nice to see you back ZRanger! Nice selection of pictures, it looks as if Pete is watching Gord sing.
Another, very nice one!!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

And Bruce Springsteen's most recent album, "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions" is his tribute to the music written and/or performed by Pete Seeger over the years. My favorite cut is "O Mary Don't You Weep" - saw him (Bruce) do it live on one of the networks when the album was released. Musically, Seeger is part and parcel of the whole American folk music history of the 20th century from the late 1930s onward.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Borderstone

You don't have to sell me on Pete Seeger.

I've heard only a few songs but I know genius when I hear it.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Lat me be the first to admit I have never knowingly heard Pete Seeger's recordings. Of course, I'd have to have lived in a cave to not know of the stature and regard we hold in him in our essteem, but I am inspired to listen to his work zoneRanger ! One of your best covers !

I DO know we sang some of his songs in 9th grade music class, we were fortunate to have a very progressive music teacher. We were told he was a prime mover in change in society; as a champion and troubadour of our societal changes.

I am embarassed to say I've not heard HIS recordings; only covers and choir sheet music performed. I am humbled and inspired to tune in and turn on to real history in music. Thanks
geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Don Quixote

Hi, geo-man. Pete Seeger is a must-listen, not only for the music, but for the history. He's part of "folk-music royalty" family that includes Charles Louis Seeger, Ruth Crawford Seeger and Peggy Seeger (his half-sister). You might want to check out http://www.pegseeger.com for a little family history). Pete's one of the last links between the Woody Guthrie generation (he sang with Woody for several years), through the '50s communist scare and the blacklistings (read about the history of the Weavers--it's hard to believe things like that used to go on), to the '60s folkies like GL, Phil Ochs, Dylan and others, and has carried his musical activism up to the present time. He's a great environmentalist, and has written and performed songs that you DO know, whether or not you know they are his. I briefly met the man a few years ago; he's certainly slowed down by age (he must be in his upper 80s at this point), and doesn't really sing anymore (although he can lead a mean sing-along). Through his life and his music, whether or not you agree with his politics, he has given more to this country than just about anyone from the 20th century, and in his own way has been a great patriot.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Auburn Annie

Hey, DQ, he was 88 as of May 3rd. He may 'perform' maybe one concert a year, usually for an environmental cause.

It gives me the giggles to think how those small-minded souls who loathed the man and his politics in the 40s and 50s would react to his being considered a revered American today, lol.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
charlene

YouTube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pete+seeger

and Springsteen's "Seeger Sessions":great stuff!

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/albu...lovercome.html

and video:

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

hey zoneranger,

how about putting Pete next to Gord at the Red Friday rally ? a liitle double entendre to be sure but I suspect it's the only way you'd get old Pete within a mile of such a thing, LOL.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote