banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
sunshine

Default Rick is getting a raise and other great news from Florida

When Gordon was introducing the band in Clearwater Friday night, he mentioned that Rick had been with him for 44 years . . . and that therefore he should give him a raise! Hope he gets it; I'm sure you all would agree, he deserves it. The band seems to be getting their due on this tour. The audiences are talking amongst themselves about their band's exellence in toto and individually. Gordon is attracting attention to them three times; introducing them once as usual, having them stand for recognition after Sundown in the first set, and doing it again after IYCRMM in the second set. Even Gordon said they must be good, because he was applauding them himself last night in Ft. Pierce. I heard one couple say that Carter is both unassuming and a star, both at the same time. Speaking of Carter, his transition period is definitely over; he fits, he blends, he brings unique touches, an overall ease, one flourish in particular after In My Fashion that adds a lot. Mike, too, is getting more visible solo time, special lighting, a higher profile. It all works, takes nothing away from Gordon as the main event, except makes him look like he surrounds himself with the best. Another really powerful moment that I saw in Daytona and Ft. Pierce but not Clearwater was Gordon and Rick playing guitars facing each other. during the instrumental ending of Baby Step Back. To watch the best friends after all these years relating to each other musically face to face is a beautiful thing, so meaningful, hope it becomes a permanent part of the show. The sound in Clearwater and Ft. Pierce couldn't have been better, don't know if it was the venues or Gordon's equipment settings, but it was special. Gordon was very exposed, the sound was so good, his articulation clear, his singing stronger than in years, that goes for his seeming confidence, too. I heard lyrics in Let It Ride never heard before in concert. And I've never seen him banter with the audience as well. When explaining how he wrote a song about a winter's night during a thunderstorm in Cleveland, an audience member shouted out, "Are you from Canada?" "Are you going back?" Gordon said according to his work permit, he better be going back. "We just don't float in here, you know," he said. So all seems to be particularly good right now. The new year couldn't be off to a better start.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
RM

Default Re: Rick is getting a raise and other great news from Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
So all seems to be particularly good right now. The new year couldn't be off to a better start.
Fabulous review......you seem to be very in tune with the 'spirit' of the group, and Lightfoot seems to be casually, and confidently, sauntering into the 'end game'. Very, very nice.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
sunshine

Thanks for your kind comments, RM. Just hope the end game is a very long one. The way time flies at this age and his age, it might be.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
charlene

Thanks for the wonderful report! I've heard from a couple of other folks who were in Ft.Pearce to and they said it was a terrific show. Sounds like Gord and the boys have started 2012 off on the right foot - and now I hope that more dates are going to be added to the tour!
It's funny that after all of these years someone asked him if he was Canadian..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote