banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
charlene

Default Stan Rogers - 30 years on

He died in Cleveland after the plane he was on crashed and caught on fire on June 2,1983. He was returning home from the Kerrville,Texas Festival on a later flight because he had stayed to sit around campfires and sing into the morning hours.. He was 33, leaving behind 4 children and his wife Ariel. His son Nathan is a singer songwriter and speaks in the clip as does Aengus Finnan.

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/5/R...fter-his-death

CBC had a small bit last night:
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
lighthead2toe

Default Re: Stan Rogers - 30 years on

Can't believe how fast the time really goes.

A big highlight for me was the day Stan's album "Live at the Groaning Board" (The Groaning Board was a Toronto pub at the time) was being recorded.

A group of us fans went there early as the show was to start at noon as I recall. The bar was getting set to open at noon and I joined the line up for drinks and Stan joined in behind me in the line.

He was very humble as I remember and we just had a short conversation. Subsequently he autographed the album for me and I still have it in my collection.

Following his passing once things were settled there was a celebration of his life concert held in the Bathurst Theatre in Toronto as I recall.

Joe Lewis, a Toronto radio host from the Ryerson FM radio station CJRT was the MC for the evening and there were a host of guest appearances including Stan's brother Garnet. There was no fee to enter the concert hall but a donation box was available.
Despite the sadness it was a very joyous event.

From what I gathered from close sources, although unofficial, a washroom fan on the aircraft overheated and caught fire and Stan had opportunities to exit the plane but held back to let others go ahead of him.

He was a no nonsense guy though and didn't suffer fools lightly.

"Harris and the Mare" a song Stan wrote which is on the "Live from the Groaning Board" album has a line :

"I was a conscie in the war saying what the hell is this for,
but I had to see his blood to be a man"

It talks about a young intoxicated man (Cleary) who enters the pub where (Stan) and his (wife) were enjoying a quiet pint of stout and Cleary threatens to steal Stan's wife and a brawl ensues.

The song has a really great arrangement and is my favorite on the album. The guitar as I recall is in the "DADGAD" tuning.

Will always miss you Stan but it's good your music is living on.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
lighthead2toe

Today is the 33rd anniversary of the passing of Stan Rogers. He was also in his 33rd year of age when he died.
Stan left a huge body of work for us to enjoy though. I really like his version of "Three Fishers" and "Dark Eyed Molly."
Sure do miss those great performances Stan gave.
Good gives him lots of stars.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
charlene

His son has a beautiful tribute at his FB page. - Nathan Rogers.. and a beautiful photo of him as a toddler with his dad... check it out..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
imported_Ordinary_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
He died in Cleveland after the plane he was on crashed and caught on fire on June 2,1983. He was returning home from the Kerrville,Texas Festival on a later flight because he had stayed to sit around campfires and sing into the morning hours.. He was 33, leaving behind 4 children and his wife Ariel. His son Nathan is a singer songwriter and speaks in the clip as does Aengus Finnan.

http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2013/5/R...fter-his-death

CBC had a small bit last night: Remembering Stan Rogers - YouTube
A nitpick: The plane burned at the Cincinnati airport, (which is actually in Kentucky), not at Cleveland OH.
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote