banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
3pennies

Default Morristown, NJ 7/28/09

Ok folks got a story for you.

Last year i posted an account of my sister and I meeting Gord after his Morristown, NJ show in June of 08. Last years show was well attended and the audience was enthusiastic.

I saw a few months ago that he was coming back to the same theatre. Well this year the available funds for concerts was not there because of the economy. I told my wife about the show and told her if she wanted to go (she was not able to go last year) that we would somehow fit it in the budget. She said that it was OK and maybe next year. She also said that it was ok for me to go alone, but I told her that didn't feel right not going with her.

So last night rolls around. We got home from work and I told her I was thinking about driving down to hang out and see if I could meet him again and get some more autographs. She said to go for it.

So the show starts at 8PM and is 1/2 hour drive from my house. I arrive at 7:30. I have a bag with my digital camera, cd's of Don Quixote and Summertime Dream, and copy of Sit Down Young Stranger.

I went to check out the front of the theatre and people were wandering in. Some guy was asking everyone, "extra ticket. extra ticket?" Reminded me of something you would see at a U2 show.

I wandered around back to the stage door and planted myself where we had met Gord last year.

I wondered/hoped, gee, maybe Rick will walk by, or one of the other guys, maybe they smoke and might step out for a pre concert butt. Lo and behold I see a grey haired fellow through a shrub. I realize it's Terry. I approach and call out "Mr. Clements?" He says "yes?" I explain that I'm just a fan and wanted to say hi. He was smoking a big cigar. I pulled out my stuff and he graciously chatted and signed my CD's that he played on. Very relaxed and friendly. I explained my situation and he said that they would be coming out this way after the show was over. He points to a car and says that's the car for him, Barry and Mike. Funny thing is I noticed this car as I walked over and it had Virginia plates. I asked if they had driven up from Virginia, since they played there last. He said no it was just a coincidence. I looked at my watch and it was 7:52. I said "don't you have to get in there?" Oh yea, takes a big last puff and goes inside.

I call my wife and tell her that so far so good. Next I wander across the street to an Irish pub and figure I would hang out there.

After a couple beers it was about 8:20 and I decided to go for a walk. I go to the front of the theatre and it starts pouring, so I go under the small overhang they have. Who do I run into, Mr. Extra Ticket guy. He makes conversation that I really did not want to have but was cordial. Next thing you know this elderly woman and her daughter come out. They are getting their umbrellas out. Mr. Extra Ticket guy asks if they are going back. The daughter says it's too much for Mom. He asks if we can have their stubs. The woman says, Mom, give them our tickets. Mom hands me 2 stubs, I hand one to him. He wanders off and says he has to go somewhere first, whatever. I quickly called my wife and she said "go in already!" I open the door, show my stub and I'm in.

Upon entering it was too dark to try to find my seat and I did not want to bother anyone. So I found an empty row second to last and planted my butt. There I was, felt weird to be alone but sat back to enjoy. Ribbon of Darkness came on and I remember what I had been reading here about "over me." I waited and when he paused I yelled it, but some guy (maybe someone on here) yelled it from the front rows and Gord recognized him.

Ok so caught the last songs of the first set, at intermission I found my real seat, 14th row. Mr. Extra Ticket was not around so I had the seat next to me empty.

Did not keep track of a setlist. I will say that I thought last years show was great, this years was even better. He was very chatty. The theatre was almost filled (I had been concerned since he played the same place last year that there would not be many folks interested again) The audience was really into it. He mentioned that some of his songs have so much nature imagery that they were reviewed by Field and Stream. Jerry Jeff Walker story, Elvis. Last year he was not chatty much at all.

One observation. I have read on here about his voice, about people walking out half way through the first set. The man is 70 years old. I hope to have 1/2 his energy when I'm 70. Yes, the voice is not consistent. It was very strong, then during Blackberry Wine it all but disappeared. Next song it was back. WHO CARES. There was a give and take. The audience appreciated him and the quality show he was putting on, and he gave back. His musicians are top notch. I asked Terry if he played with anyone else during his off time with Gord. He said no, there was an unwritten rule, no one goes after Gord's guys.

Ok so the show ends and back around to the stage door. Several couples show up. I hear them asking questions "is this the spot" etc. I took the role of veteran and told them about last year. Mike, Barry and Terry came out very soon. Mike was funny, folks were handing him albums, cd's and he was explaining that he didn't play on those albums.

Terry came up to me and smiled. I told him my elderly woman story and he got a big kick and was glad I got to get in.

I spotted Gord though a window and gave everyone a heads up. Out he comes with a security guy. Folks like last year were polite and respectful. He would sign and take pics, then the security guy would ask them to step back so others could get a chance.

I turned and a car had appeared. Behind the wheel was Rick. We made eye contact and I held up my sharpie. He rolled down the window and was just super. Gord finished up and made his way to the car. He rolled down the window a waved as they left.

Made my way home. My wife had stayed up to hear the story. Quite a night.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
RM

Default Re: Morristown, NJ 7/28/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pennies View Post

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
And a very fine story it is. Good stuff.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
podunklander

Pretty kewl night and glad you got to catch most of the concert! That was lucky! And autographs too
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
charlene

fabulous story! loved it all!
thanks for the post..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
3pennies

Oh almost forgot.

He said that whenever he plays Hangdog Hotel Room now he thinks of Michael Vick
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pennies View Post
Oh almost forgot.

He said that whenever he plays Hangdog Hotel Room now he thinks of Michael Vick
and yet another corny one from The Man..!
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
formerlylavender

What a great story! You were meant to get in...congrats.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
3pennies

You know it's funny you mention that. For a couple of months something has been telling me to get some albums off EBay for autographs.

Instead I have one album and some cd covers, I almost feel embarrassed handing them a CD cover, it's so small.

I guess it's still better that handing them an IPOD nano or something.

Excuse me Mr. Lightfoot can you autograph my flash drive
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

I noticed the part about 'no one goes after Gords guys' to play with them, but Barry has played drums on over 300 albums (as I last remember him saying) and as an example, he usually plays on all the recordings Anne Murray does. The other performers may not go after them to lure them away from Gordon permanently, but some may take side jobs too.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
curiousmoonbeam

Wow! Great Story!! Beter than mine!

CM
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote