banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
Brannah

"The Gift" is a tribute to Ian Tyson and features some of North America's finest musicians performing some of Ian's finest songs.
Gordon Lightfoot is performing "Red Velvet" on this CD.
Almost every other artist on this CD is performing an Ian Tyson song except for Gord performing one of his own (Red Velvet).
I wonder why he's not performing an Ian song like the rest?

[ August 03, 2007, 00:35: Message edited by: Brannah ]
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
RM

'Red Velvet' IS an Ian Tyson song.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
charlene

Red Velvet is a Tyson song and the tribute album represents songs that Ian has recorded on his own albums over the last 5 decades.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
SilverHeels

I gotta get me one of these!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Brannah

I have every Ian Tyson CD/cassette known to man and there is no song called Red Velvet on any of them.
It sounds like a song Ian would do, but I've never heard Ian do it.
Anyone know what Ian Tyson CD its suppost to be on?,Or is it a song he did when he and Sylvia were together?
If thats the case then that would explain why I've never heard it, I'm not a Sylvia fan therefore I haven't got any of her or "their" music from back then.

[ August 03, 2007, 10:22: Message edited by: Brannah ]
Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
charlene

I don't know what album it's on but it's a Tyson song. Probably from way back in the day..
great song..
http://www.lightfoot.ca/redvelvt.htm
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

I have a "Best of" Ian & Sylvia CD and it's on there, so it must be from the duo days.
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
brink-

It is on the Ian and Sylvia Live at Newport album #8 also on the 4 Disc set Complete Vanguard Studio Recordings, Disc 2 #48. You might check if it is on iTunes.

[ August 04, 2007, 00:26: Message edited by: brink- ]
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

It was originally on Early Morning Rain (hmmm), an Ian & Sylvia album you really should have. It also has For Lovin' Me, and Darcy Farrow (Gillette/Campbell). Ian & Sylvia were the first to record Lightfoot and Gillette and both often make mention of that. Lightfoot considered his recording of Red Velvet long overdue. At the time of its release he said that he had always wanted to record one of Tyson's songs. Great choice!
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #10
TheWatchman

Johnny Cash also covered this song. I heard him say in an interview that he thought it was going to be a big hit for him, but instead it was a flop.

Lightfoot obviously thought this song was great or else he wouldn't have covered it; we all know it's a rarity when he does such things.

Interesting knowing both men's thoughts on this song and yet fans of both are not too impressed with either version. I love the song though!!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

Speaking of Ian & Sylvia et al:

Sing along in the Early Morning Rain

4 Strong Winds is a musical trip to a time when folk-singing ensembles were a feature of high school life

MATT RADZ, The Gazette

Ancient enough to know what the word "hootenanny" actually means? The Village Theatre has a must-see show for the sing-along crowd of yore.

If you doubt for a minute that nostalgia never gets old, you haven't seen 4 Strong Winds, a four-voice wallow in the back catalogues of the Kingston Trio, the pre-electric Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Harry Belafonte and such lesser-known heroes of the folk era as Phil Ochs, whose Changes signalled that this is a show for everyone - over 50.

If you've been wondering where all the flowers had gone, look no further than Hudson, a pretty little town that's looking even more relaxed than usual, now that just about everyone, except the guys who shift those orange detour signs around the highways, is taking a holiday.

Quarterbacked by the play's co-author Michael Booth Palmer (who, unlike the other three cast members, is a much better musician than he is an actor), Bruce Dinsmore, Felicia Shulman and Andrew Johnston harmonize to good effect, leading us on a long, winding walk down memory lane that had Thursday's opening-night crowd humming right along, many of them on key.

Back in the day, no respectable school was without a proliferation of folk-singing ensembles and 4 Strong Winds were the best of the lot at Hudson High School. As the play opens, Tom, now a fussy donut magnate played by Dinsmore, frets whether his former bandmates will join him in the musty old music room during the Class of 1970 reunion.

Never fear, the others soon arrive, packing along all the favourites - If I Had a Hammer, Blowin' in the Wind, the Banana Boat Song (Day-O), Leavin' on a Jet Plane. ... You can easily guess the rest.

The Cancon spotlight falls mostly on Lightfoot, with Did She Mention My Name; that famous Railroad thing; Only a Go-Go Girl (ask gramps); and, of course, Early Mornin' Rain.

The 4 Strong Winds bring a lot of love to the reunion, saving Ian and Sylvia's great Canadian classic, from which the group takes its name, for the finale.

Warning: Banjo playing during every performance.

4 Strong Winds, by Michael Booth Palmer and Harry Parsons, directed by Corey Castle, until Aug. 19 at the Hudson Village Theatre, Wednesday to Saturday at 8 p.m.; matinees at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Tickets $26 and $29. Go to www.villagetheatre.ca or call 450-458-5361.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote