banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lightfoot and The Leafs

http://www.edge.ca/DJsandShows/DaveB...tryID=10368504
Ya GOTTA love The Leafs..lol

He's one of our country's top musical treasures. His songs resonate with a sense of home, so it's no surprise that Gordon Lightfoot is a hockey fanatic.To see and hear Lightfoot discuss his love of the game, tune in to Hockey Night In Canada's Game Day Saturday at 200 PM. Game Day producer Tim Thompson recently spent 90 minutes with Lightfoot in his home,where he told stories about his childhood, how he fell in love with the Leafs, Turk Broda, Bill Barilko, Harold Ballard, Wendel, up to the current state of the team.

The show is a cullmination of the season long exploration that Game Day has taken into the connection that hockey and music have forged in our country.

link - show should be available soon for those in the viewing area.. @

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Lightfoot and The Leafs

he's showing an old scrapbook of hockey cards he taped into a book from around 1951..Turk Broda.. wow.
talking about being mesmerized when the crowd gets into the music when he's onstage..like when he was a kid playing hockey..
Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
ponyman

I also watched it. It was very interesting. He focused a lot on his growing years where he flooded a place in his backyard and played hockey games there. He also mentioned that his sister and her friends would figureskate on this homemade ice. It seemed different that the interview focused on hockey more than on his music. Thanks for the URL Char,

Gary
ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
jj

Gord looks looks good. Nice shots of his place and collector card scrapbook, in HD.

A non Lighthead scooped me on this one late in the week, as they had been listening to CBC radio....something i haven't done much of since Gzowski passed.

I'd never be inside on a Satirday afternoon watching HNIC to see this, especially when your team is 5+ years out of the playoffs! lol

ps) at least we have the Blue Jays....what a historic opening daaaaaay comeback
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
jj

did you guys see the quality of the Maple Leaf Gardens benefit stuff they have in the archives? wow

young Wendel on Yonge St... priceless

I'm not too disappointed that Gretz never made it into Gord's act...lol

good plugs for Gord's cd and the hall of fame induction...we're setting up a commemorative gig...for Gord's induction...and for the Leafs missing the playoffs again, lol
Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
charlene

@ Gary - hence the placement on the CBC Hockey show, "Game Day" ..and the title "Why I Love The Game".. lol
I have found he likes to talk about anything but music a lot of the time...and he knows I love our Leafs too... we must BE-LEAF !
lol
thanks for the heads up JJ..I got a GOOGLE alert right after you e-mailed me..lol
Old 04-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Dan O'Malley

That was great. He looks really well. 7 months till massey!!! haha
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
loveabiggibson

Wow, that was really cool. I love the glimpse into Gord's home and the scrapbook. All the guitars are familiar except for the Gibson B-25-12, on the right. Those are neat little guitars but I've never seen Gord with one--the only big-name act I can remember that used those was the Bee Gees in their early days. I wonder if Gord ever recorded with his?
loveabiggibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
jj

for those who don't know about the legend of Barilko (or the Hip song):

SO, now we have a new curse that goes back to 1967, our LAST CUP

or an even newer curse goes back to the year the Leafs were last IN THE PLAYOFFS!

my question is: who's body is now missing, and why don't we start looking!!!

lol
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
charlene

I'm not looking cuz I'm too busy watching those beautiful young Blue Jays in their 'new' old uni's..

oh yeah.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
imported_Next_Saturday

"Give me the puck and let me see if I can do something with it."

Nice cross-promotion with all the background music undoubtedly from the new live album.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
T.G.

T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
niffer

This was really fun to watch. I had not been able to get the link to work, so thank you, TG, for putting it in this format.

It was nice to see Gordon so comfortable and engaged as he reminisced and talked of his love for hockey and the Leafs. The background music was pretty nice too

On a side note, I can't believe that hockey players used to play without helmets!
And no masks for the goalies. Wow.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
bjm7777

Cool interview.....
Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
charlene

I imagine they'll be getting updates while out of town..lol Leafs play Boston tonight in Boston (first time in playoffs in 9 seasons) and Jays play Boston at The Dome...!!!
yay!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
jj

ahh, Leafs and Jays have Boston right where we want 'em... lol

that cheap hit by Ference really changed the game, imo...but endless Leaf give aways were likely gonna follow, regardless...and they sure did, lol

anyhow, he should get two game suspension but I'd rather see a Leaf bruiser rag doll him before the end of the series (in Grabovski's honour)

Ference said he couldnt recall any hit of the sort (really???), when asked about it after the game... elbows like that and hits from behind are the reason hockey has lost it's honourable status over the years... anyhow, should be a fun series....good experience for young Leafs (and new Jays need to get a season under their belts to gel in a year or two, hopefully)

that one monstrous Napoli (Red Sox) second homer last night, made Edwin's from the night before, looks like a pop up....wow
Old 05-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
jj

Wow, the good, bad and the ugly

Good - Canadian lightfoot touring USA spreading and receiving love, simultaneously a cross border playoff series ensues

Bad - an 18 yr old girl dies during Toronto marathon. An all around terrible year for marathons, although there has been a unifying force with Boston globally

Ugly - this Canadian youth was sucker punched unconscious by someone in a Bruin jersey leaving the arena in Boston the other night. I kind of always look forward to seeing Bruin jerseys (or any original 6 team jersey) amongst a Toronto crowd with fans of both sides of the border ribbing one another in a friendly manner. I hope nothing of the sort happens in Toronto. One sick American is not representative of the Bruin faithful. Ugly

http://youtu.be/at-QJSuurVg
Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #18
jj

Yikes, YouTube comments are just aweful

Anyhow, I was at a game in beantown last decade and it was a clean building and vibe. Colton Orr was a Bruin then and sucker punched poor Wade Belak (rip) but that was the only violence I knew of, on or off the ice

I was taken back when asked for ID when fetching a beer. After initially feeling insulted, I actually thanked the employee many times. I said I became legal 25 years ago! I was very flattered

Then I saw him ask the next fellow for ID also (who looked like a WWI vet) and realized that they ask Everyone! Oh well
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
charlene

got the tv on -Leafs on one side - Jays on the other..lol

"Is the home team still on fire, do they still win all the games?"
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
got the tv on -Leafs on one side - Jays on the other..lol

"Is the home team still on fire, do they still win all the games?"
No they don't. Lol

But blue jays came back from 7-0 and now lead 8-7.

Some consolation for the people on blue and white day.

JP. Lisa's hero
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
jj

Well it's hockey weather again. Played tennis in the cool wind earlier and it started snowing/hailing

Lovely series. Those hardcore, youthful leaf fans (a few thousand) weathered downpours and lightning on Friday night standing and watching the big tv together outside the ACC. What a fun night that was

Leafs still haven't best Bruins in the playoffs in Toronto (well, since before I was born...)
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
charlene

on to Game 7 in Boston!! This young TO club has shown their determination and drive...awesome! From atop the "L" tower under construction in TO the Leafs flag flies hi over the home of the hockey holy grail-The Stanley Cup in the Hockey Hall of Fame in TO. plus CN Tower and Dome and a partial skyline of Toronto shot..taken by crane operator @SkyJacked793
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BKJfWFqCQAINTKw[1].jpg
Views:	489
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	5962   Click image for larger version

Name:	BKJVvBnCYAAHj-R[1].jpg
Views:	472
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	5963  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
charlene

from the Molson-Coors brewery in TO near the airport (video is from 2008) but the 6 x 12 metre (19ft.8in. x 39ft.4in.) flag is flying now. and Because It's The Cup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=DudKuwzAgfE
Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #24
jj

I hope those flags were flying the past two games (I think the one at the old Carlsberg brewery was) otherwise, don't change a thing

I was up in Orillia today and the few locals I came across were pumped up too.

I'm certainly hoping the north american blood of the Gardiners, Reimers and Kessels will out perform that of the Charas, Rasks and Jagrs.

Perhaps Boston's first two lines will lead the way to a home victory to bring this unified city, even more closely knit following the unthinkable. It's too bad that term can no longer be used. Unfortunately everything is now thinkable

I'm hoping its not an early one sided affair. That beantown soft ice has been making the rubber hop around quite a bit. I hope there are more heros than goats

The street crowds in Toronto have behaved well. I hope the victory starved fans don't frenzy into a Black Day in May, should the dramatic comeback be completed. Off to paint my fave, put on my blue scarf....and put sharp objects out of reach!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
charlene

the crane tower flag went up today because he wasn't working on the weekend and weather probs last week. the brewery flag went up for the first game.

17 month old daycare kid I have points to the Leafs on tv/papers etc. and says Go Go! (can't say Leafs yet) and when he sees the Jays in uni he says bayball and pretends he's swinging a bat...