banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

LETTER: Lightfoot, city thrill Kingston visitor

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 07:00

Editorial - Letter to the editor:

Re: Sunshine sketches from Mariposa

I recently travelled from Kingston to Orillia with a friend to attend the Mariposa Folk Festival for the first time.

I want to thank all of the friendly people of Orillia who made us feel so welcome in their hometown - Bob, our Tisdale House host, who gave us a lift to the festival site; the myriad of Orillians who proudly gave us tips about their town's hot spots; the shuttle bus driver who stopped en route to rescue two drenched fans from a post-concert trudge back to town on Sunday night; and the sweet lady at the Mariposa office who greeted us early the next morning with Leacock-like humour and a couple of free festival souvenir posters.

And thank you to the Mariposa Folk Festival organizers and all of the on-site volunteers who made us feel at home on the shores of Lake Couchiching.

As I attended the entertaining workshops under sunny skies on Sunday, I was awash with anticipation of hearing my longtime favourite troubadour, Gordon Lightfoot - this time from my staked-out seventh-row-behind-the-blanket people seat (in contrast to the third-row balcony seat at the cavernous NAC in Ottawa where I'd last seen him perform through my binoculars).

At 10 p.m., Gordie and his band came striding on to the stage amid the deafening thunder rolls and the spectacular lightning flashes. The torrential rain soon pelted down on all of us, creating a spectacularly dramatic backdrop to the whole concert.

Undaunted, and halfway into the set, Gordie told us, "We've got a job to do, and we're going to do it!" In my mind, that "job" was to take this serendipitous opportunity to pay heartfelt tribute to each other. Despite the deluge, Gordie had made up his mind to give us the gift of his legendary music, and we fans, out of respect and love for the man who has sung our stories for decades, stayed there to receive his gift with open arms.

It felt like, together, we were infused with the intrepid spirit of "the navvies who work(ed) upon the railway" and the captain and crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald who steadfastly tried to hold course "in the face of a hurricane west wind." Gordie chose to end his concert by offering his fans his very best "Blackberry Wine" - robust and full-bodied!

By this time, I had wended my way right up to the stage. I could see the sparkle in his eyes and, as he grinned from ear to ear, I felt the gentle squeeze of his hand. I was unabashedly thrilled.

So, here's a toast to the people of Orillia, and especially to my forever favourite minstrel, Gordon Lightfoot. Thanks for the big sunbright memories of my time in your little Mariposa town!.

Suzanne Bodner

Kingston
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

LETTER: Lightfoot, city thrill Kingston visitor

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 07:00

Editorial - Letter to the editor:

Re: Sunshine sketches from Mariposa

I recently travelled from Kingston to Orillia with a friend to attend the Mariposa Folk Festival for the first time.

I want to thank all of the friendly people of Orillia who made us feel so welcome in their hometown - Bob, our Tisdale House host, who gave us a lift to the festival site; the myriad of Orillians who proudly gave us tips about their town's hot spots; the shuttle bus driver who stopped en route to rescue two drenched fans from a post-concert trudge back to town on Sunday night; and the sweet lady at the Mariposa office who greeted us early the next morning with Leacock-like humour and a couple of free festival souvenir posters.

And thank you to the Mariposa Folk Festival organizers and all of the on-site volunteers who made us feel at home on the shores of Lake Couchiching.

As I attended the entertaining workshops under sunny skies on Sunday, I was awash with anticipation of hearing my longtime favourite troubadour, Gordon Lightfoot - this time from my staked-out seventh-row-behind-the-blanket people seat (in contrast to the third-row balcony seat at the cavernous NAC in Ottawa where I'd last seen him perform through my binoculars).

At 10 p.m., Gordie and his band came striding on to the stage amid the deafening thunder rolls and the spectacular lightning flashes. The torrential rain soon pelted down on all of us, creating a spectacularly dramatic backdrop to the whole concert.

Undaunted, and halfway into the set, Gordie told us, "We've got a job to do, and we're going to do it!" In my mind, that "job" was to take this serendipitous opportunity to pay heartfelt tribute to each other. Despite the deluge, Gordie had made up his mind to give us the gift of his legendary music, and we fans, out of respect and love for the man who has sung our stories for decades, stayed there to receive his gift with open arms.

It felt like, together, we were infused with the intrepid spirit of "the navvies who work(ed) upon the railway" and the captain and crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald who steadfastly tried to hold course "in the face of a hurricane west wind." Gordie chose to end his concert by offering his fans his very best "Blackberry Wine" - robust and full-bodied!

By this time, I had wended my way right up to the stage. I could see the sparkle in his eyes and, as he grinned from ear to ear, I felt the gentle squeeze of his hand. I was unabashedly thrilled.

So, here's a toast to the people of Orillia, and especially to my forever favourite minstrel, Gordon Lightfoot. Thanks for the big sunbright memories of my time in your little Mariposa town!.

Suzanne Bodner

Kingston
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Daylight Matty

WOW Talk about painting a picture. Felt like I was there! Beautiful!
Thanks Annie and Suzanne Bodner
Daylight Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
charlene

You could see that sparkle back where I was!!..
Like a rebellious little scoundrel he was having the time of his life up there, totally defying the weather to force him off the stage.

Makes me wonder how Stephen Leacock would write about it in an updated "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town." (he called Orillia by the name of Mariposa in his stories)

It was certainly one for the books..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
charlene

You could see that sparkle back where I was!!..
Like a rebellious little scoundrel he was having the time of his life up there, totally defying the weather to force him off the stage.

Makes me wonder how Stephen Leacock would write about it in an updated "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town." (he called Orillia by the name of Mariposa in his stories)

It was certainly one for the books..
Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
charlene

"I want to thank all of the friendly people of Orillia who made us feel so welcome in their hometown."

Sunshine Sketches about the little Mariposa town is available to read on-line..if you enjoy satire, biting wit and a finely crafted use of the English language it's a fun read..

Leacock states at the beginning:

"In regard to the present work I must disclaim at once all intentions
of trying to do anything so ridiculously easy as writing about a real
place and real people. Mariposa is not a real town. On the contrary,
it is about seventy or eighty of them. You may find them all the way
from Lake Superior to the sea, with the same square streets and the
same maple trees and the same churches and hotels, and everywhere the
sunshine of the land of hope."

another website states:
http://www.123helpme.com/assets/17360.html
The final story of Sunshine Sketches titled L'Envoi. The Train to Mariposa is a departure from the preceding satire. It effectively ties the book together by offering a retrospective approach to the small-town.
It
fondly recalls the idiosyncrasies that make every small town across the country something that can be remembered with admiration. It suggests the feelings that everyone experiences when they leave the small-town atmosphere in search of bigger and better things, only to recall a childhood when the times and the people were less complicated.
The ironic quirks that are often the root of fond memories exist, and are emphasized
by Leacock as he finalizes his compilation.
He still jabs at small-town life from a distance, but it is no less effective than were he to stand in the middle of main street in downtown Mariposa.

It's so evident that Lightfoot has those wonderful memories of being a young boy in Orillia and that they still mean so much this many years later even tho he headed out for bigger and better things...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
charlene

"I want to thank all of the friendly people of Orillia who made us feel so welcome in their hometown."

Sunshine Sketches about the little Mariposa town is available to read on-line..if you enjoy satire, biting wit and a finely crafted use of the English language it's a fun read..

Leacock states at the beginning:

"In regard to the present work I must disclaim at once all intentions
of trying to do anything so ridiculously easy as writing about a real
place and real people. Mariposa is not a real town. On the contrary,
it is about seventy or eighty of them. You may find them all the way
from Lake Superior to the sea, with the same square streets and the
same maple trees and the same churches and hotels, and everywhere the
sunshine of the land of hope."

another website states:
http://www.123helpme.com/assets/17360.html
The final story of Sunshine Sketches titled L'Envoi. The Train to Mariposa is a departure from the preceding satire. It effectively ties the book together by offering a retrospective approach to the small-town.
It
fondly recalls the idiosyncrasies that make every small town across the country something that can be remembered with admiration. It suggests the feelings that everyone experiences when they leave the small-town atmosphere in search of bigger and better things, only to recall a childhood when the times and the people were less complicated.
The ironic quirks that are often the root of fond memories exist, and are emphasized
by Leacock as he finalizes his compilation.
He still jabs at small-town life from a distance, but it is no less effective than were he to stand in the middle of main street in downtown Mariposa.

It's so evident that Lightfoot has those wonderful memories of being a young boy in Orillia and that they still mean so much this many years later even tho he headed out for bigger and better things...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
DJ in MJ

I'm proud to call Orillia my hometown. What a wonderful letter!
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote