banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Auburn Annie

Well, golly, folks are just coverin' Gord's songs all the hell over the place. First, Ethan Hawke is teaching himself "Early Morning Rain" and now Brit Paul Weller is releasing an album full of covers, including - once again - "Early Morning Rain". Here's the complete track list of "Studio 150":

"If I Could Only Be Sure"
"Wishing on a Star"
"Don't Make Promises"
"The Bottle"
"Black is the Colour"
"Close To You"
"Early Morning Rain"
"One Way Road"
"Hercules"
"Thinking of You"
"All Along the Watchtower"
"Birds"
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Auburn Annie

Well, golly, folks are just coverin' Gord's songs all the hell over the place. First, Ethan Hawke is teaching himself "Early Morning Rain" and now Brit Paul Weller is releasing an album full of covers, including - once again - "Early Morning Rain". Here's the complete track list of "Studio 150":

"If I Could Only Be Sure"
"Wishing on a Star"
"Don't Make Promises"
"The Bottle"
"Black is the Colour"
"Close To You"
"Early Morning Rain"
"One Way Road"
"Hercules"
"Thinking of You"
"All Along the Watchtower"
"Birds"
Old 07-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
LSH

I'm glad other artists see the genius in Lightfoot compositions, but I rarely like their renditions. Is that wrong of me? I liked Nancy Griffith's cover of Ten Degrees (CD-Other Voices Other Rooms, it's very good), but that about 'covers' it. Every GL song I've heard, I've heard him do first. I cannot make it all the way through Peter,Paul and Mary's rendition of EMR. Just can't do it.
Yes, I have the tribute album, I kinda like Bend in the Water, and Home From the Forest, but there are many songs I just can't listen to all the through. Don't think I've listened to the CD all the way through. I kept saying, "Tempo, tempo!" Like Robin Williams in the Fisher King.
Someone will have to tell me how this new cover sounds.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

I agree with that re: Peter Paul & Mary, though that's what made me see who wrote the song, look up the original, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was hooked. Actually I very much like Judy Collins' version of Early Morning Rain, though she had to make one lyric change (from "well, the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast" to "well, the liquor tasted good and the time went fast" for gender reasons.)
Old 07-20-2004, 05:18 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

I agree with that re: Peter Paul & Mary, though that's what made me see who wrote the song, look up the original, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was hooked. Actually I very much like Judy Collins' version of Early Morning Rain, though she had to make one lyric change (from "well, the liquor tasted good and the women all were fast" to "well, the liquor tasted good and the time went fast" for gender reasons.)
Old 07-20-2004, 05:23 AM   #6
SilverHeels

and don't let us forget Eva Cassidy's
ethereal version of Early Morning Rain.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
muhammad hidayatullah

The covers that I find unbelievably wonderful are those of Tony Rice.
He devotes a complete album to Lightfoot -- an extremely high compliment considering Tony Rice's position in the bluegrass and jazz world: he's one of the best. Alison Krauss says the musician who most influenced her is Tony Rice. So ... if you haven't heard that album (I know ALL of you have) ... get it.
("Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot")
muhammad hidayatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
SeattleRain

The covers that I find unbelievably wonderful are those of Tony Rice.
He devotes a complete album to Lightfoot -- an extremely high compliment considering Tony Rice's position in the bluegrass and jazz world: he's one of the best. Alison Krauss says the musician who most influenced her is Tony Rice. So ... if you haven't heard that album (I know ALL of you have) ... get it.
("Tony Rice Sings Gordon Lightfoot")
SeattleRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
charlene

I know there are many Tony Rice fans - BUT, I can't listen to bluegrass...especially when it's a Lightfoot song...I just can't do it.
He's a remarkable "player" of many stringed instruments but hearing Lightfoot in the Bluegrass genre makes my skin crawl.
I have tried, I swear I have but I can't even make it through one whole song before I feel ill.
I like Alison Kraus - to a degree....a few songs and then I move on....a little bit of banjo/fiddle here and there and I can take it for a while...moreso in some Celtic/Scottish/eastcoast Canada stuff but Tony Rice won't be gettin' rich off me buying his music.
Even if it is Lightfoot.
Char

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
charlene

I know there are many Tony Rice fans - BUT, I can't listen to bluegrass...especially when it's a Lightfoot song...I just can't do it.
He's a remarkable "player" of many stringed instruments but hearing Lightfoot in the Bluegrass genre makes my skin crawl.
I have tried, I swear I have but I can't even make it through one whole song before I feel ill.
I like Alison Kraus - to a degree....a few songs and then I move on....a little bit of banjo/fiddle here and there and I can take it for a while...moreso in some Celtic/Scottish/eastcoast Canada stuff but Tony Rice won't be gettin' rich off me buying his music.
Even if it is Lightfoot.
Char

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #11
silenceandsound86

Should I be embarrassed? I've never heard of Tony Rice. But given your rave review, I think I'll have to check out the album. Thanks for the music education!
silenceandsound86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Rona

Should I be embarrassed? I've never heard of Tony Rice. But given your rave review, I think I'll have to check out the album. Thanks for the music education!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #13
muhammad hidayatullah

Rona: Hope you like it. I know bluegrass - like any pure music genre -- can be an acquired taste. But even Lightfoot himself, I've read, considers these to be some of the best covers. I personally find it exciting when an exceptional musician (like Rice)takes a favorite song and gives it his/her own interpretation. The challenge is to find things in the music that no one else has seen. There is no point to performing if all you do is try to re-create someone else's vision or performance.

I'd like to ask if anyone has a GL song they'd like to hear done by a specific musician? I would LOVE to hear what Paul Simon could do with ANY of GL's songs. I heard him do a cover of a Beach Boys song that was gorgeous.

[This message has been edited by SeattleRain (edited July 20, 2004).]
Old 07-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #14
SeattleRain

Rona: Hope you like it. I know bluegrass - like any pure music genre -- can be an acquired taste. But even Lightfoot himself, I've read, considers these to be some of the best covers. I personally find it exciting when an exceptional musician (like Rice)takes a favorite song and gives it his/her own interpretation. The challenge is to find things in the music that no one else has seen. There is no point to performing if all you do is try to re-create someone else's vision or performance.

I'd like to ask if anyone has a GL song they'd like to hear done by a specific musician? I would LOVE to hear what Paul Simon could do with ANY of GL's songs. I heard him do a cover of a Beach Boys song that was gorgeous.

[This message has been edited by SeattleRain (edited July 20, 2004).]
Old 07-20-2004, 09:08 PM   #15
LSH

SeattleRain,
I know I'm supposed to think of other artists, but the minute I read "Paul Simon" I just started tripping. Can you imagine him doing Cobwebs and Dust or Stone Cold Sober? oh hey, how about The Soul is the Rock? yeah, now I could get into that.
I might be able to handle the group Train doing Keepin' on Yearnin'....

PS. How is Seattle these days? I miss it. I'm stuck down in Vancouver, WA now. I saw Gord at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. good stuff. Front and center in the ochresta pit. We had conversation. Very cool place.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:18 PM   #16
LSH

oh, yeah, Char?
I think I'm with you on the bluegrass. I'm willing to give it a try, but.....
And I LIKE Allison Krauss, more than a little.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:44 PM   #17
Tyler

Silverheels, I loved Eva Cassidy's singing. I think my fav was Somewhere over the rainbow. EMR was great too. She was a fabulous singer too bad she died before she was able to taste the fame. Her family must be so proud though. I watched a documentary about her-very interesting.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:44 PM   #18
brink

Silverheels, I loved Eva Cassidy's singing. I think my fav was Somewhere over the rainbow. EMR was great too. She was a fabulous singer too bad she died before she was able to taste the fame. Her family must be so proud though. I watched a documentary about her-very interesting.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #19
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by brink:

Brink,
I love Eva Cassidy's voice. Surely if angels sing, this is how they must sound.
Hers is a tragic story but she has inspired so many young singers, including Katie Melua. If you dont know of her yet, you will soon. Her single 'The closest thing to crazy' is stunning.
btw back to Eva - there is companion cd (to Songbird)due out any time now.
(Apologies for being slightly off-topic)

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #20
muhammad hidayatullah

quote:Originally posted by LSH:
SeattleRain,
I know I'm supposed to think of other artists, but the minute I read "Paul Simon" I just started tripping. Can you imagine him doing Cobwebs and Dust or Stone Cold Sober? oh hey, how about The Soul is the Rock? yeah, now I could get into that.

PS. How is Seattle these days? I miss it. I'm stuck down in Vancouver, WA now. I saw Gord at the Paramount Theatre in Seattle. good stuff. Front and center in the ochresta pit. We had conversation. Very cool place.

Seattle is great -- but very expensive to live here. This week has been hot - almost 90 degrees (F). We must have been at the same concert at the Paramount. That was a while ago - time seems to move faster as you get older.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #21
SeattleRain

quote:Originally posted by LSH:
SeattleRain,

Seattle is great -- but very expensive to live here. This week has been hot - almost 90 degrees (F). We must have been at the same concert at the Paramount. That was a while ago - time seems to move faster as you get older.

Old 07-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #22
chippo

Paul Weller's version is a fine rendition.

I have a promo of the cd, it's excellent!

UK Paul Weller Fan

I'll have to listen to some Gordon Lightfoot now
Old 07-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #23
chippo

Paul Weller's version is a fine rendition.

I have a promo of the cd, it's excellent!

UK Paul Weller Fan

I'll have to listen to some Gordon Lightfoot now
Old 07-27-2004, 04:20 PM   #24
stationmaster

I love Ann Murray's version of "Cotton Jenny"
Does anyone else like it?

------------------
"The station is for travelers even you must ride someday"
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #25
LSH

Yep, I've heard it, and she does fine. My mom had that album, so I heard it quite OFTEN. She really liked it. Right now, I can hear Snowbird in my head...that's just wrong...