banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
DMD3

What album did 'Remember Me, I'm The One' and 'It's Too Late He Wins' come from, and what were the other songs on that album?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
TheWatchman

Check out this page. It will answer all your ?'s. http://www.corfid.com/gl/songs.htm
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:03 AM   #3
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Check out this page. It will answer all your ?'s. http://www.corfid.com/gl/songs.htm

I did. It says they only come from Songbook.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
SilverHeels

DMD3,

you need to look for 'Early Lightfoot'
Canadian AME Records. No. AME7000.

Not to be confused with UA's 'Early Lightfoot' release.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
What album did 'Remember Me, I'm The One' and 'It's Too Late He Wins' come from, and what were the other songs on that album?
Well really Duncan IMHO it behooves you to do a modicum of surfing and reading before asking such basic questions as that.To refresh the memories of you and anyone else here the two main sources of Lightfoot information both answer your question completely
Wayne Francis from his "Discography" and then "albums" links at http://www.lightfoot.ca has this
page (scroll down to 1971 and click on the entry "early lightfoot":-
to get to http://www.lightfoot.ca/earlylst.htm
which bingo (!)shows a complete track list to the 1962-recorded but post-IYCRMM 1971-released AME
album "Early Lightfoot" plus a link to Wayne's own comprehensive review of said album
or even try Valerie's site ("biography"-"early lightfoot" links which will lead you to:- http://www.gordonlightfoot.com/EarlyLightfoot.html
click on the red link "track listing" to get a pop-up window listing the song titles.
No doubt if Florian were to once again be active on this site he might be induced to add this interesting album to his partial-discography.It is true that he does list an album entitled "Early
Lightfoot" but this is the rare UK issue (which I possess and scanned) of the original "Lightfoot"
album somewhat confusingly retitled with the same name as the altogether different Canadian AME release
Here is a composite of the AME album sleeve front and back

the UK issue of Lightfoot
because a 12"x12" sleeve is too large for a scanner I scanned it on two halves then joined them by pasting into a desk top publishing program then saved the combination as a single image, but because the two scans are not identical in hue you can easily see the join. I assume that a similar technique was used by whoever made the image used on https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/gordon_lightfoot/early_lightfoot/buy/[/URL]
but the join is in a different position

I trust that will inspire you Duncan to do a little exploration so that in future you know where to find some answers. So go and half a look-see

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited January 06, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited January 06, 2004).]

Last edited by johnfowles; 12-22-2018 at 12:29 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Gaby

DMD3. Here is the info. From Wayne Francis’ website http://www.lightfoot.ca/elrev.htm.

I’ve posted it in full here ‘cos there are maybe other people who might be interested.

These are all available on the bootleg cd ‘Remember Me’ which regularly comes up for sale on eBay. But, of course, whether you bid is up to your own individual conscience.

If GL ever did release them again, I’d go straight out and buy it but, frankly, it wouldn’t be played very often. I can quite see why he pulled it. It just wasn’t where he was at, at that time.

EARLY LIGHTFOOT
by Wayne Francis

I'd like to do some personal reviews of some of Lightfoot's lesser known recordings which are very difficult, if not next to impossible to find. I'll start off with the infamous 1971 release of early 60's, pre-United Artists recordings - EARLY LIGHTFOOT.

The album came out on the AME label in 1971, to capitalize on the recent success Lightfoot had with If You Could Read My Mind. The album was cleverly released to appear as if it "might" be a new Lightfoot album, that is, an album of newly written and recorded material, as the cover photo was a then recent picture from 1970 Mariposa taken by Joan Latchford, not from the early 60's when the album was recorded.

Well to say the "album" was recorded is not really accurate either, as it's really just a collection of singles Lightfoot did very early in his career for a label called Chateau Records, before he had even established his folk identity. Three of the songs on the album are released for the first time - This Is My Song (which turned up on the Two Tones At The Village Corner album - which I'll review later); Sleep Little Jane and Long Haired Woman.
Here is a rundown of the songs:

REMEMBER ME (I'M THE ONE)
Lightfoot
This song made the Canadian charts when it was released as a single in the
early 60's. It is a medium tempo Nashville type ballad, with the distictive country piano sound of that era.

DAISY DOO
Lightfoot
A bit of a rocker, you might even say a toe-tapper, but more along the lines of some of Elvis' movie songs than what we'd later be tapping our toes to from Lightfoot.

ADIOS, ADIOS
Lightfoot/Hash
A nice Spanish style song about a young man looking to be united with his lost love. A forerunner of Miguel?

IS MY BABY BLUE TONIGHT
Lou Handman
One of three cover songs on the album. Lightfoot does an interesting job with this standard.

SLEEP LITTLE JANE
Lightfoot
A tender lullaby, probably the most indicative song on this album of how Lightfoot's writing style and sound would eventually develop.

LONG HAIRED WOMAN
Lightfoot
An uptempo tune with swirling organs and electric guitars. "A long haired woman make a long time wreck out of me." Kinda catchy really.

IT'S TOO LATE, HE WINS
Lightfoot
Another mid-tempo "Nashville of the day" type of song, like Remember Me (I'm The One). Nice melody, nice song.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
Hoffman/Klein
Another standard covered. Lightfoot handles it well, too!

THIS IS MY SONG
Lightfoot
This one got radio play in 1971 when this album came out here in Canada, which further confused the issue as to whether this album was new material or not. You couldn't really blame Gord for being seriously annoyed! Good song though, but light years removed from where Lightfoot was at in 1971.

NEGOTIATIONS
Les Pouliot
Yes, that's right folks - Les Pouliot, the guy who later wrote the Harry Tracy theme, My Love For You. Negotiations has to be heard, I couldn't begin to describe it, but just let me say, Gord does some "rap" on this one that the Fresh Prince might want to take some lessons from! The song uses the Cold War as a metaphor for a failing relationship. All very tongue-in-cheek.

All in all, this album is a very interesting set when looked at from the historical standpoint of Lightfoot's earliest directions, before being transformed after hearing the Weavers At Carnegie Hall and other folk music which led him into that area of music, and ultimately a style uniquely his own.

His voice is very rich and strong throughout this album. The melodies seem to emphasize the mid to lower range of his voice. Probably because of that, I find that he sounds "older" than he would later sound on his UA stuff, which started to emphasize the upper register of his singing.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #7
Gaby

Sorry, John.

I did DMD3's homework for him.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #8
MajorSirJerryPending

Send a message via ICQ to MajorSirJerryPending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by BILLW:
DMD3,
How do you search on # of posts ? I didn't know we could do that ?

Thank you,

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:Awww man come on. You've been here since 2001 and didn't know about that? Yet I can already include pictures with my message and turn my words orange.

By DMD3

Come on John, DMD3 has told us brilliant he is.
MajorSirJerryPending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by MajorSirJerryPending:
Come on John, DMD3 has told us brilliant he is.
You are absolutely right Sir Jerald
and when he has a mind to he can also spell viz:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000615.html
"I'm not new and I never knew about it."

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
Old 01-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
joveski

the tunes on that album are great and they don't sound anything like the GL that we klnow and love.

i especially love Negotiations!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
Gaby

Negotiations is great.

I do love Long Haired Woman, too. (It's frequently quoted by my boyfriend, for some reason.)

They're both great fun to jive to 'tho I don't suppose joveski and DMD3 are in to that sort of dance.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:18 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Awww, give DMD a break. He's just a kid. Kids aren't supposed to have everything figured out yet. Sure, we all tease him about the half/have issue, but it's all in good fun. He has more important things to think about... girls, cars, romance, getting a job.
Hey, he's a good kid. He likes Lightfoot! How many of our own kids like Lightfoot??? He hangs around here and interacts with us old folks. In spite of his grammatical errors, he's able to communicate with us. He doesn't use foul language, like some of the kids I've seen on other forums. He's always pleasant and he doesn't rub it in our faces that we are over the hill. Give the kid a break and let him be a kid. He'll figure out the half/have thing when it's important to him.

To all you youngsters on this site, I think it's very cool that you're here, and that you are keeping GL's music alive for your generation to appreciate.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 06:21 PM   #13
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

AMEN to that Cathy...

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #14
SomewhereupinMichigan

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Awww, give DMD a break. He's just a kid. Kids aren't supposed to have everything figured out yet. Sure, we all tease him about the half/have issue, but it's all in good fun. He has more important things to think about... girls, cars, romance, getting a job.
Hey, he's a good kid. He likes Lightfoot! How many of our own kids like Lightfoot??? He hangs around here and interacts with us old folks. In spite of his grammatical errors, he's able to communicate with us. He doesn't use foul language, like some of the kids I've seen on other forums. He's always pleasant and he doesn't rub it in our faces that we are over the hill. Give the kid a break and let him be a kid. He'll figure out the half/have thing when it's important to him.

To all you youngsters on this site, I think it's very cool that you're here, and that you are keeping GL's music alive for your generation to appreciate.

Well put Cathy. I was toying with writing something similar, but couldn't have said it any better.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #15
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by SomewhereupinMichigan:
Well put Cathy. I was toying with writing something similar, but couldn't have said it any better.

Is grammatical even a word? Sheesh. Here I am bugging the kid about the half/have, whole/hole thing, and here I am making my own version of the English language. Hmmm. Let's see what Word has to say about
it...........

Gee, it is a word. Huh. I just keep getting more smarter and more smarter all the time.

No I am not drinking tonight. I just can't seem to put a string of words together right.

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited January 06, 2004).]
Old 01-07-2004, 05:06 AM   #16
SilverHeels

Well said, Cathy!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:01 AM   #17
SilverHeels

Cathy, I was responding to your support of our DMD3 - not your inability to string a few words together.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #18
DMD3

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=grammatical
Old 01-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #19
MajorSirJerryPending

Send a message via ICQ to MajorSirJerryPending

Cathy, BILLW, SomewhereupinMichigan and Silverheels.

You are, of course, absolutely correct.

DMD3 I withdraw my remarks and offer you an unreserved apology.

Where did the how go?
MajorSirJerryPending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #20
Tarheel

Young and old. Young and old. That is all I have to say on this. Young and old in this house.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:41 PM   #21
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:
Cathy, I was responding to your support of our DMD3 - not your inability to string a few words together.

I thought you were replying to my more smarter and more smarter remark!

Old 01-07-2004, 06:43 PM   #22
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=grammatical

You mean someone invented the word before I did? How dare they.......

Old 02-14-2005, 10:05 PM   #23
miketouhy

quote:Originally posted by Gaby:
DMD3. Here is the info. From Wayne Francis’ website http://www.lightfoot.ca/elrev.htm.

I’ve posted it in full here ‘cos there are maybe other people who might be interested.

These are all available on the bootleg cd ‘Remember Me’ which regularly comes up for sale on eBay. But, of course, whether you bid is up to your own individual conscience.

If GL ever did release them again, I’d go straight out and buy it but, frankly, it wouldn’t be played very often. I can quite see why he pulled it. It just wasn’t where he was at, at that time.

EARLY LIGHTFOOT
by Wayne Francis

I'd like to do some personal reviews of some of Lightfoot's lesser known recordings which are very difficult, if not next to impossible to find. I'll start off with the infamous 1971 release of early 60's, pre-United Artists recordings - EARLY LIGHTFOOT.

The album came out on the AME label in 1971, to capitalize on the recent success Lightfoot had with If You Could Read My Mind. The album was cleverly released to appear as if it "might" be a new Lightfoot album, that is, an album of newly written and recorded material, as the cover photo was a then recent picture from 1970 Mariposa taken by Joan Latchford, not from the early 60's when the album was recorded.

Well to say the "album" was recorded is not really accurate either, as it's really just a collection of singles Lightfoot did very early in his career for a label called Chateau Records, before he had even established his folk identity. Three of the songs on the album are released for the first time - This Is My Song (which turned up on the Two Tones At The Village Corner album - which I'll review later); Sleep Little Jane and Long Haired Woman.
Here is a rundown of the songs:

REMEMBER ME (I'M THE ONE)
Lightfoot
This song made the Canadian charts when it was released as a single in the
early 60's. It is a medium tempo Nashville type ballad, with the distictive country piano sound of that era.

DAISY DOO
Lightfoot
A bit of a rocker, you might even say a toe-tapper, but more along the lines of some of Elvis' movie songs than what we'd later be tapping our toes to from Lightfoot.

ADIOS, ADIOS
Lightfoot/Hash
A nice Spanish style song about a young man looking to be united with his lost love. A forerunner of Miguel?

IS MY BABY BLUE TONIGHT
Lou Handman
One of three cover songs on the album. Lightfoot does an interesting job with this standard.

SLEEP LITTLE JANE
Lightfoot
A tender lullaby, probably the most indicative song on this album of how Lightfoot's writing style and sound would eventually develop.

LONG HAIRED WOMAN
Lightfoot
An uptempo tune with swirling organs and electric guitars. "A long haired woman make a long time wreck out of me." Kinda catchy really.

IT'S TOO LATE, HE WINS
Lightfoot
Another mid-tempo "Nashville of the day" type of song, like Remember Me (I'm The One). Nice melody, nice song.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
Hoffman/Klein
Another standard covered. Lightfoot handles it well, too!

THIS IS MY SONG
Lightfoot
This one got radio play in 1971 when this album came out here in Canada, which further confused the issue as to whether this album was new material or not. You couldn't really blame Gord for being seriously annoyed! Good song though, but light years removed from where Lightfoot was at in 1971.

NEGOTIATIONS
Les Pouliot
Yes, that's right folks - Les Pouliot, the guy who later wrote the Harry Tracy theme, My Love For You. Negotiations has to be heard, I couldn't begin to describe it, but just let me say, Gord does some "rap" on this one that the Fresh Prince might want to take some lessons from! The song uses the Cold War as a metaphor for a failing relationship. All very tongue-in-cheek.

All in all, this album is a very interesting set when looked at from the historical standpoint of Lightfoot's earliest directions, before being transformed after hearing the Weavers At Carnegie Hall and other folk music which led him into that area of music, and ultimately a style uniquely his own.

His voice is very rich and strong throughout this album. The melodies seem to emphasize the mid to lower range of his voice. Probably because of that, I find that he sounds "older" than he would later sound on his UA stuff, which started to emphasize the upper register of his singing.

pretty interesting.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM   #24
Harmony

Who came up with that alias? is it from a movie or something?

Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #25
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Harmony:
Who came up with that alias? is it from a movie or something?

re MajorSirJerryPending.It sounds to me like there is to be major surgery soon in the hospital operating) theater not the Movie theater.In the Uk the "operations" room in a hospital is called a theat(re/er)
John Fowles
Have you ever heard a sung hero,or experienced requited love?