banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Moosedog

Default John Stockfish

How sad...just read that John Stockfish has passed away.

http://www.thespec.com/whatson/artic...yer-dead-at-69
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: John Stockfish

only 69... still more music to make..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
lighthead2toe

Yes, very sad news indeed.

For those of who were Lightfoot fans since those early days we would recall John coming out there with his bass and taking his position on stage beside Red Shea on lead guitar.

He always seemed quite dignified and had very good stage presence I thought.

There's still an old cassette tape recording somewhere in my collection where Gord praises him, and Red as well.

"You just go out there on the stage Gord and leave the drivin' to us." This is the quote from Gord about John. Gord also mentions John was full of ideas.

I saw him for the last time in a local pub in Toronto where he was playing bass for my good friend Ron Nigrini. They had a great sound. John even sang a song at that gig.

For me it's the end of yet another era.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Borderstone

I know I'm not as familair as the rest of you are
but it is always sad to hear about someone (anyone) passing away.

May he RIP.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
jj

thanks for the posting, moose dog....condolences to his many loved ones

i got a warm feeling reading this section of an GL interview/article that char posted months back:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
early 1965. "The first Massey Hall show I ever played was put on by a concert promoter named Johnny Bassett, whose father owned the television station CFTO and was publisher of the [long-defunct] Toronto Telegram newspaper. Johnny had heard me play at Steele's Tavern and the Riverboat, and he and [Riverboat owner] Bernie Fiedler cooked up an idea to put me in here. I thought about it for a couple of days, and said sure. For the past three or four years I'd been playing bars and coffee houses, but at that moment Peter, Paul & Mary had a hit going with my song 'For Lovin' Me,' so to my surprise I was able to sell out the show without having an album yet."

Lightfoot continues, "I remember the night vividly. I had just gotten my trio together with [guitarist] Red Shea and [bassist] John Stockfish and we were full of ideas
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i am glad Lenny recruited Stockfish for his work on Sundown, COTS and GG1... besides 'Sundown', does anyone know all the specific songs he played on in those studio sessions?

this wonderful footage (char posted this gem recently!) shows Stockfish just before he relocates to Nashville...as Ron said, although the collaborations ended long ago, this truly marks the end of a glorious era...

"side men come out first, John Stockfish bass guitar...." (The Guess Who)

photo from www.lightfoot.ca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stockfish.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	5333  
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
charlene

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/win...23#fbLoggedOut
I couldn't access the Toronto Globe and Mail obit.
GUEST BOOK and pics @ link.

John Arthur STOCKFISH

STOCKFISH WINSTON-SALEM John Arthur Stockfish August 17, 2012 John Stockfish, the original bass player for Gordon Lightfoot, a member of the legendary Lightfoot Trio passed away on Friday, August 17, 2012 of natural causes. He was 69. A self-taught musician who received further training through the Royal Conservatory of Music, John began his musical journey at a young age playing on stage with his father as a child and becoming the youngest member of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra at age 12. He toured extensively throughout Europe and North America with one of his earliest European tours as the bassist for Tommy Danton and the Echoes at age 16. For a number of years, in the early 60s, he performed for the daily CBC Music Hop show hosted by Alex Trebec, and the CTV television music show After Four. The most memorable period of his distinguished musical career began in 1965 as the bassist for Gordon Lightfoot during the renowned United Artists years. John was an influential force in music industry during the numerous concert tours and recording sessions completed in Nashville and New York. The Guess Who paid tribute to John by naming him in their song "Lightfoot." He will always be remembered for his familiar bass playing on "Sundown," Gordon Lightfoot's most successful U.S. single which topped the charts at number one in 1974. In 1969, John moved to New York where he lived, recorded, and performed with the late Jim Croce. This included appearances on both the Mike Douglas Show and the Today Show at the outset of Croce's career. In the early 70s, John continued his musical career as the bassist for Dan Hill on his first RCA recording sessions and for Tommy Hunter, performing in both the Canadian and European tours, as well as on the Tommy Hunter television and radio show on CBC. His career continued as a musical director and consultant for numerous television and radio productions as well as music publishing in Nashville, Tennessee. John is survived by his children Will Stockfish of Winston Salem, Sheri Stockfish, John Stockfish, and Jennifer Stockfish, all of Toronto, four grandchildren Marlee, Travis, Nathan, and Mia, and four surviving siblings George, Bill, Gordie and Darlene. A private family funeral will be held on Friday, August 31st, at 11:00 am at St. Peter's Erindale Anglican Church in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to ABC of NC Child Development Center in Winston Salem, NC or the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, Ontario.

Published in Winston-Salem Journal on August 27, 2012
Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
charlene

http://www.windsorstar.com/entertain...194/story.html

Lightfoot's bassist put his stamp on the music

By Dave Hall, The Windsor Star August 31, 2012 3:04 AM

John Stockfish, a Windsorborn musician who was Gordon Lightfoot's original bass player, will be buried today in Mississauga after dying in his hometown Aug. 20 at the age of 69.

"He had been living in North Carolina for the past few years but returned home about three years ago," said daughter Jennifer Stockfish. "I guess it brought his life full circle and it seemed the logical place to come back to a few years ago."

Stockfish remembered her father as a "unique and eccentric individual, which is true of many artists and musicians."

He was a self-taught musician who received further training through the Royal Conservatory of Music.

Stockfish teamed up with Lightfoot and guitarist Red Shea in 1965 after an already extensive career which took him on tour to Europe and across North America as a bassist for Tommy Danton and the Echoes.

He was considered an influential part of the Lightfoot trio, particular with his familiar bass line on the hit single Sundown which topped the music charts in 1974.

The Guess Who paid tribute to Stockfish's talent by naming him in their song Lightfoot.

In 1969, Stockfish moved to New York and performed with the late Jim Croce, with appearances on the Mike Douglas Show and the Today Show.

Upon returning to Toronto in the early 1970s, he played with Dan Hill and Tommy Hunter, appearing on the latter's popular television shows.

Over the years, he also collaborated with Gene MacLellan, Mel Torme, Cab Calloway and Ron Nigrini.

He was later involved in the music publishing business in Nashville.

"I lived in Nashville for a few years in my early 20s and worked as a waitress," said Jennifer. "Whenever people saw my last name on the receipt, they knew immediately who my dad was because Nashville is such a music town.

"He wasn't charismatic in the regular sense of the word but he had a way of drawing people to him either in coffee shops or book shops," said Jennifer.

Stockfish is survived by children Sheri, John, Jennifer and Will, grandchildren Marlee, Travis, Nathan and Mia as well as siblings George, Billy, Gordie and Darlene.

dhall@windsorstar.com

© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/entertain...#ixzz257hF3FFn
Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
jj

the family got a very warm day for the memorial today, it was closeby

it's wonderful that Stockfish and Lightfoot were able to connect last May

love this old shot, and the Telescope in studio footage of Red John Gord
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js67.jpg
Views:	1736
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	5335  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
jj

Red and John were Lightfoot's 'original' touring trio

but I still think of Bill Lee as Gord's original bassist ...he is still alive, last i checked ...same with Bruce Langhorne
Old 09-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
charlene

http://www.cashboxcanada.ca/3209/rip...tter-take-care
Old 09-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
joveski

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/origi...sh-dead-at-69/
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
charlene

http://oregonmusicnews.com/2012/09/0...remembers-him/

John Stockfish, famed Canadian bassist, dead at 69 – Tom May remembers him

September 4, 2012

Here is an obit from Canada.

Northwest Folk musician, writer and DJ Tom May wrote this remembrance today:

Memories of John Stockfish;

I was so sad to hear of the passing of John Stockfish, Gordon Lightfoot’s first bass player. As someone said to me back in the 70′s, every Canadian musician knew that distinctive bass pattern than John played on “Song For a Winters Night”; it was just part of the country’s musical vernacular.

I met John when I was in Toronto trying to start my career as a musician; I was just 19 years old in that autumn of 1972. We were introduced by old friends of Gordon Lightfoot. I was so nervous the first time I played guitar and sang for him; but he was very reassuring and kind. I don’t know how old I thought he was at the time, but looking at his obituary, I realize he was just 10 years older than I ; so he was only 29 years old then, but he seemed much older and wiser.

I would play all of my newly written songs for him, and he would critique them. One song I still do from those years, probably my best song from that period, is “When his Lessons Learned”, from my CD “Blue Northern”. John praised that song, and it meant the world to an unsophisticated, unsure kid from Nebraska.

I would go over to John’s house quite frequently; he and his wife at that time kindly had me over on Christmas Eve one year, when I had no other place to go, and knew so few people in Toronto.

When I was not performing myself, I would go down to the Four Seasons Hotel in downtown Toronto, where John played with a great jazz band. I would sit and listen, nurse a Molson’s Stock Ale, and talk to John during the breaks about music and life.

He and I did one show together, in the small Ontario town of Fergus, Ontario. I remember it being in a large High School gym with terrible acoustics, but I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever to have John Stockfish’s exquisite bass playing backing me up.

He would regale me with stories of his years backing up Lightfoot. He was a little bitter about the terms under which he left the band after the “Back Here on Earth” album, but he and Gord patched things up eventually, and of course John played on many of the “Sundown” cuts-including the title song. I was privileged to hear the rehearsal demo tapes for that album, done at Richard Harrison’s studio, before the actual recording of “Sundown”.

John was a very intense individual, but he was gracious of spirit and generous with his time when I was a young musician, for which I will be forever grateful. He had a unique touch and musical feel to how he played the bass.

Thank you for your impact on my life, John Stockfish; rest in peace, old friend.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
lighthead2toe

Thanks for putting this one up Char.

It inspired me to reflect back on the few times I was in the presence of John and the mention of "that distinctive bass pattern" he played in "Song For A Winter's Night."

Recalling back to the CBC television production in 1968 when I sitting probably within twenty feet from the band and watching and listening to Gord, Red and John perform that song, I would have to say it kind of put me in a sort of "trance." Very mesmerizing effect I found.

Another time I recall was in 1969 at the St. John's, Nfld. airport, Gord and John arrived for a concert after taking the midnight flight from Toronto.
Red couldn't make that one for some reason so it was just John and Gord up there but they made it work real good.

Gord was arranging their rental car while John was waiting for the luggage to arrive and I walked over said hi to him and offered help. He was very gracious and also let me take a picture of him. Unfortunately the photo got lost along the way.

Being unaware that John was no longer in the band at the time Tom mentions after the release of the "Back Here On Earth" album, at the following Massey Hall concert series Gord introduced "Rick Haynes" as a "new man" in the band.

Sort of "caught off guard" and in a way, saddened to a degree, being piqued on seeing John up there again as usual, it left me with a sort of weird feeling.
But having being involved in the music industry for many years, I understand that change happens with band members and it's clear that Rick Haynes is more than just a well qualified bass player, but a stoic man indeed.

Another interesting point in Tom's article is the mention of the "rehearsal demo tapes" for the "Sundown" album that were done at Richard Harrison's studio.

Hopefully we'll get to hear more about John and his most interesting musical career.

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 08-26-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
lighthead2toe

Default John Stockfish

Today is the second anniversary of the passing of John Stockfish.

John was Gord's earlier bass player prior to Rick Haynes.

Extended condolences to John's family.

RJ.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
lighthead2toe

Default John Stockfish

Remembering the 3rd anniversary of the passing of John Stockfish, Gord's original bass player.
Extended condolences to John's family
Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #16
lighthead2toe

The years just seem to click away don't they?

It's now the fourth anniversary of John's passing and his memory lives on.

Condolences once again to the family.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

Remembering John once again.
Always think of him when I hear Song for a Winter's Night.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
lighthead2toe

Gone six years today but alive in those early Lightfoot recordings. Amazing talent was John Stockfish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg PA280025.jpeg (65.6 KB, 771 views)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
lighthead2toe

Here were are again on what seems to be an endless journey down memory lane, never forgetting those who left an impact on our lives along the way.

All wonderful memories to be forever treasured.

Once again, condolences to John's family.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #20
lighthead2toe

Eight years today since we lost John Stockfish. Wonderful memories though, especially the 1968 CBC video with John and Red with Gord. Great treasure is that one. Once again condolences to the Stockfish family.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #21
charlene

Left us on this day (Aug. 20) in 2012: John Stockfish (natural causes, age 69), best remembered as the original recording & touring bass player for Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot's band during the United Artists (UA) years in the second half of the '60s; John's signature bass contribution was to the recording sessions for Gordon's 1974 US #1 hit "Sundown"; over the years, he also played with the likes of Jim Croce, Dan Hill, Tommy Hunter, Gene MacLellan, Mel Torme & Cab Calloway; The Guess Who name-checked John in their 1968 tribute song "Lightfoot"…
Old 08-21-2020, 06:08 AM   #22
paskatefan

May his memory be for a blessing.

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #23
banjobench12

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Left us on this day (Aug. 20) in 2012: John Stockfish (natural causes, age 69), best remembered as the original recording & touring bass player for Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot's band during the United Artists (UA) years in the second half of the '60s; John's signature bass contribution was to the recording sessions for Gordon's 1974 US #1 hit "Sundown"; over the years, he also played with the likes of Jim Croce, Dan Hill, Tommy Hunter, Gene MacLellan, Mel Torme & Cab Calloway; The Guess Who name-checked John in their 1968 tribute song "Lightfoot"…
I have always loved The Guess Who’s “Lightfoot “. It was the B side of the single of American woman. Captures Cummings and Bachman’s love of Lightfoot’s music and cleverly sounds like him.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote