banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #51
youngstranger

Default Re: It's on!! BBC 4 - Lightfoot 1972 show

1. You need the little torrent file. This is what everybody has been sharing around.

2. You need a programme such as uTorrent or BitTorrent. Install one of these, then use it to open the little shared torrent file. This will cause the torrent to start downloading.

3. When the download is complete you will find included in everything you have to make a DVD, there are two core video .VOB files. The microsoft movie maker software that comes free with most PCs or can be downloaded for free from Microsoft will allow you to view/edit these files. It will also allow you to make a movie "project" with these files and then burn them to DVD.

I think burning .VOB files straight to a blank DVD without converting will not work.

Im sure there are better ways to do it but the above it one way.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #52
Moosedog

It's on Youtube, in two files!

Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #53
Hangdog

I downloaded it over night. Watched it this morning. WHAT A GREAT CONCERT!! Unbelievable

What other gems are out there.??

Keep well lightheads... with this video out .. our numbers just might grow.
j
Hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #54
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post

I do have an Uncle Bob!
lol

ok - easy, one - two - three instructions please..
how to accomplish what you've set out above?
for those of us who like it simple and easy in as few words as possible.
Click on..., thn open this, then click here..- that sort of instruction would be most helpful..
lol
char, this must be you 'talking', cos it's NOT my post! lol

with a Mac, like Doug said, it's that easy.... 1 - just launch the 20k file that folks have been directed to several time in this thread, then 2 - the you are prompted for where to download the 2GB of media files to (i chose a dvd folder after inserting blank dvd), then 3 - burn, baby burn

yesterday i was on my iPhone, twiddling thumbs at an airport, trying to make it happen with earphones ready to go... and as amazing at it is, it's not a full fledged mac, hence the frustration...thanks for aid anyhow, sir J and doug
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #55
jj

can't complain much about this gem but two comments after checking out SSOL and Miguel

1) where is that 'pling' sound coming from on SSOL? it sounds like an e-mail notification soundbite and happens at the beginning of many measures

2) the editor/producer didn't show any of Red's lick work in Miguel... the only time he showed a frontal was for a segment where Gord is actually doing the signature rhythmic picking while Red is simply adding a down strum at the start of every measure...nice coverage of Rick's work anyhow...what a gem

this makes me appreciate Tim's rendition (GordisKing youtube channel) all the more as he does both the GL picking AND Red's licks/fills without flinching... with camera coverage, to boot

thanks bbc! viewing/listening to be continued when the conditions are right, it deserves it
Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #56
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
I think burning .VOB files straight to a blank DVD without converting will not work.
seemed to work here... maybe mac does a conversion behind the scenes, dunno

nice guide
Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #57
jj

fun to see Rick in that 70s collar and 'that' wonderful Red smile
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	4178   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	4179  
Old 03-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #58
Jim Nasium

Further to my last post, Ref: recording show onto DVD, major failure. However I see it has been done. It would have been a crime of major proportions if devoted GL fans did not see this outstanding recording of a truly great craftsman at the very top of his game. Well done to the technophobic genius who worked this miracle.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #59
charlene

I sent it out to some folks and many are having problems - i opened the link...it started toload when it was one i clicked and it opened - 2 parts. done.
others are having a terrible time for some reason.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #60
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post
For those desperate for a fix...

YouTube - Summer Side of Life
They sang it wrong.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #61
niffer

The links to YouTube worked fine for me this morning. Many thanks to all who had a part in making this available, especially for those of us who are technologically challenged. Although my husband isn't, and he couldn't get any of it to work last night either.
It was a magnificent show. I'm so glad I was able to see it. Thanks again!
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #62
joveski

if anyone could send me a DVD copy of this, i have lots of Lightfoot audio bootlegs that we can exchange.. pleeeeease?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #63
jj

Quote:
can't complain much about this gem but two comments after checking out SSOL and Miguel

1) where is that 'pling' sound coming from on SSOL? it sounds like an e-mail notification soundbite and happens at the beginning of many measures

2) the editor/producer didn't show any of Red's lick work in Miguel...
yeah, throughout there seems to be minimal featuring of Red's work...for both of his solos during Nous Ensmble (sp? lol) or Did She Mention => Nothing shown at all....bizzare...and most disappointing is the absence of focus on Red for those CRT fills

the BBC productions I've seen with other artists have bee top notch in every respect so that's the only reason I'm a bit let down and also because Red 'lick' footage is so hard to come by...on the other hand, for bassists, tons of wonderful Rick finger work featured

the footage of Gord unbelievable...as is his vocal work...he seems comfy in front of TV to me...as hangdog says, why not release the 1973 Soundstage? perhaps he's waiting for a posthumous release, which would bring be wise from a business perspective, i suppose...agh...i suppose i can wait... long live Gord
Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #64
dad2mak

This is the Lightfoot I was first introduced to in the late 1960's and early 70's. It's my favorite GL period.

And how exquisite is Red Shea's playing!! Even though the camera ignored him for all intents and purposes on his solos, when they did show him I noticed that he is never looking at his guitar when he's playing. WOW! To do those fancy riffs and not even need to look at the neck on his guitar. I'd almost forgotten what a master he was on his instrument.
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #65
RM

Quote:
I think it was an intonation issue.

This is an absolute classic. My right arm gets fatigued just watching it.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #66
devlin0208

I watched the show last night after finding the dvd at dimeadozen.org. A classic!

If only the holy grail video of the PBS "Made in Chicago" show from '73 would appear I would be content with my Gordon Lightfoot video collection. I posted an ISO about that show back in '04 and got semi-chastised by a couple of members for either encouraging "bootlegging" or "shaming" people who wouldn't share. All with good intentions I assume. There ARE plenty of hoarders of rare video who either sell it or keep it to themselves and thanks to bit torrent sites, a lot of rarities from various artists have appeared over the past decade. Let's hope MIC sees the light of day before we're all too old to enjoy it.

On a sad note, I just saw that Terry Clements died a couple of weeks ago, old news here I am sure. I was fortunate to see him with Gord last year and he/they were excellent. Terry was a great guitar player. RIP.
devlin0208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #67
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2mak View Post

And how exquisite is Red Shea's playing!! Even though the camera ignored him for all intents and purposes on his solos, when they did show him I noticed that he is never looking at his guitar when he's playing
so true, and all those neat voicings coming from alt-capo positionings whether noodling or chording

intonations, eh, rm... thanks for the hunch

i wonder if this was actually the lead tune or not

you see him take a cig puff before Minstrel of the Dawn and it burns throughout but there's a bad edit before the last chord as you can see the strum isn't in synch, and the butt is gone, plus he's putting away a 12 string (MOTD was being played on a 6) as he leads into Talking in Your Sleep

I imagine the actually sequence may have had EMR leading into TIYS, interesting

you've echoed my thoughts, devlin...MIC = Soundstage 1973...fingers crossed
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #68
Rob1956

It's up on YouTube under "Gordon Lightfoot BBC". If you have a tv or blu-ray player that has YouTube streaming, you can watch it on your main tv in stereo!
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #69
Seven_Islands

Spotted this in the listings a while ago, but only just had the chance to catch up on iplayer - having never seen Gord live (save for the Reno DVD) this blew me away even more than I was expecting, and the fact that he played about half of one of my favourite albums didn't hurt either, I nearly fell outa me chair when he announced 'Miguel'...:D
Seven_Islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #70
dad2mak

Ok, it's on youtube now. But will they let it stay up, or will they take it off like so many others?
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #71
charlene

the clip from last Nov. is still up at the site so they could be up for a while..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #72
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2mak View Post
Ok, it's on youtube now. But will they let it stay up, or will they take it off like so many others?
the first guy who shared the IYCRMM 1972 BBC ran into warnings and removed all ( http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...+IYCRMM&page=2 ) but the clips we posted from wilfredthesiger and bensiskel somehow live on

there is a way to download youtube clips (as sir john can tell you...real player? i believe it's for windows only)

btw, it seems like the .VOB dvd files are PAL format, according to the player hooked up to my tv...as one suggested, a Blu-ray player such as PS3 streams youtube directly to large tv screen with good audio...it pixelates a bit (not as clear as Netflix)
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #73
Blackberry John

If anybody needs a DVD copy of this - I'm willing to make a few copies and mail out (PM me). Just one thing - check to see your dvd player can play PAL dvds. sometimes you need code to convert your DVD player. Philips dvd players have codes to play NTSC & PAL DVDs.
-John of Blackberry (NYC)
Blackberry John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #74
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Let me guess he introduced Rick as the father of Red's new son
see this "Lightfoot Groaners" thread on the old Newsgroup
that contains my own first ever internet posting from 1997
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...gst&q=groaner#
Well nearly but this time it was Red who got the handshake as the father of Rick's new baby
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #75
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Thanks for posting that excellent concert. And I believe it solves the old debate about the soft chant during "Talking In Your Sleep". Reading Gord's lips, I'm sure it's "Take a potato, take a potato, ..." as someone previously posted.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote