banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lightfoot Tribute 2007-The Way We Feel report and pics

The Way We Feel
Lightfoot Tribute Show – 5th anniversary
Hugh’s Room-Toronto
2nd night of two-Sat.Jan.20,2007

Yes another year has come and gone and The Lightfoot Tribute show at Hugh’s room is now a sweet memory.
I find myself once again sitting back, remembering the glorious evening and typing it all up in a nice neat package.
If only life were like that.

Here in Toronto we’ve had unseasonably warm winter weather. There is no ice from Toronto Harbour across to the islands, the grass still peeks through the bit of snow we had on the 14th of January. The temps have dropped but it certainly has been a mild winter so far.

The Lightfoot concerts at Massey in November seem so long ago…. I have yet to type up a trip report/concert review. Real life stepped in for a while so I am hoping to get some memories/thoughts down soon.

Once again this year Sparky (Jenney) couldn’t make it to Hogtown. Was it something I said? LOL
And once again she was missed.

My daughter Lisa and I headed to the big city on Saturday afternoon on the trusty old GO train. This year we didn’t have to leave the show early as we did last year, missing Garnet Rogers performance. A family member purchased a condo in the city right beside the Skydome. Since the condo sits empty almost all year because my cousin lives in Florida, Lisa and I have full use of it any time we wish. So that means no more mad dashes to the GO train for the last train to Clarksville at 12:15 a.m.…(whitby) We can just head to the condo for the night! Luverly!

Lisa and I took a taxi to the local GO station in Whitby, rode the train for 45 minutes, dropped off our stuff at the condo and then headed north from the condo on the streetcar meeting up with the east/west subway, then heading 6 steps west to Hugh’s Room. So far that’s a taxi, train, streetcar and subway ride. The condo overlooks the Toronto Island airport and several marinas so I’ve covered the planes, trains and automobiles I think!

Traveling through Chinatown up Spadina on the streetcar is always interesting..so many Asian shoppes/restaurants/food markets interspersed among bridal shoppes, fur salons, textile stores. It’s a reminder of how diverse Toronto is with its many enclaves of people of all different heritage. Greektown, Little Italy and many other neighbourhoods such as Cabbagetown, The Annex, St. Lawrence Market etc. bring multiculturalism to life in Toronto with their foods, customs, festivals and languages. www.toronto.ca/links.htm and www.torontoneighbourhoods.net/search/search.html

We arrived early and were lucky enough to spend time and hugs with David Newland. My goodness he’s a sweet fellow, even offering me his car to borrow when I mentioned we were going to do a bit of shopping before we sat down for dinner. I thanked him but declined because I don’t drive! LOL..A very thoughtful gesture nonetheless..David mentioned that The Man himself had dropped by the night before…headed upstairs to the green room to say hello and thankyou to the performers and then he left.

Lisa and I were waiting to cross busy Dundas St., watching for cars and streetcars when a voice called out from across the street. ”Hello Ladies!” Well there was a sort of familiar looking fellow standing over there!
Omigosh..it was Jory!!!!..sans hat and sans curls! I hardly recognized him! We got big hugs when he safely made it across and I got over my shock at a familiar face without those curls and hat that are SO Jory! He looked all grown up.The hair was short but still curly and he was grinning from ear to ear with satisfaction that he had surprised me with the new ‘do.’ I loved it! Jory also mentioned that Lightfoot had been by the night before. What a treat for the performers!
Jory headed into Hugh’s and Lisa and I did some window shopping.

When we came back we were seated at a tiny round table with bar stools – the area was elevated and the view was great but sitting all night on a stool with no back was going to be a problem for me so we once again this year after dinner were given stools down on the main floor near the 3 steps the performers take to get to the stage. A halfwall provided a backing for us to lean on. Perfect!

We had our dinner, and yes Sparky, I had a couple of glasses of “our” Collavini merlot. Cheers!

As we were eating the many performers were filtering in, doing a bit of rehearsing and having their own meals. Soon the crowd had occupied all 250 seats and it was a busy, noisy place!

Aengus Finnan came in shortly before the show started and came over for hugs and to say hi...he wasn’t performing this year due to being such a busy fellow with his Shelter Valley Folk Festival, www.sheltervalley.com/home.htm , his Art Gallery (Lawless Gallery) http://visno.blogspot.com/2006/06/la...ll-circle.html in Grafton where he lives and his high school teaching gig. He’s been teaching Theatre to grade 10 and 11 students near his home. The fellow is one diversely talented guy!
He looked wonderful and I told him I wanted him onstage for at least one song! Since Lisa and I were moving to other seats Aengus and g.f. took over our table.

David Newland took the stage and asked who was there for the first time? Second time? Numerous times? It seemed the audience was almost full of folks who come back again and again for the sublime experience of the most talented folks around singing the music of Gordon Lightfoot.
David looked like a GQ model with his new beard, fitted white shirt, pinstriped pants and skinny tie.My, my, my it was quite something to listen to Aengus and him discussing fashion before the show!
Lol

The house band was introduced – Jason Fowler - guitars, Anne Lindsay - fiddle, David Woodhead - bass, and David Matheson – keyboards.

Jason Fowler www.jasonfowler.ca was the first performer of the evening and sang “I’ll Tag Along” and from the Shadows album, “14K Gold.” He didn’t recount his “Boilers” story this year...

Lori Cullen www.loricullen.com has recorded “Pussywillows-Cattails” on her latest CD and did her soulful jazzy rendition that garnered her a huge ovation. She’s got a velvety smooth voice and makes the song her own. She was then joined onstage by Kurt Swinghammer www.swinghammer.com on a marvelous sounding instrument called an Omnichord www.suzukimusic.co.uk/omnichord/suzuki_omnichord.htm . It was quite something to watch him play it as well. They performed a very jazzy “Beautiful.” So different from any version I’d ever heard before.Wow.

David then introduced us to Michael Johnston – www.michaeljohnston.ca . I had missed his performance last year but understand it was quite the event. This evening was another wild ride with Michael.
He was at the keyboard telling us that he was going to do a song that the “Gordfather” didn’t write. He heard it in the 90’s, not knowing it was written by Dylan, thinking it was a Lightfoot tune. He then captivated our attention with “Ring Them Bells.” To say he puts his all into a song is an understatement. While it is not one of my favourite songs he certainly made me listen to it in a different way. For the next song he looked up what it could possibly be about at a website called www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3833 – He then recounted his findings to us. (read about them at the link provided) Michael then produced a mini hand-held keyboard with a hose attached to it. I’m sure it has a name – perhaps it was a hi-tech kazoo..I’m not sure but it was hilarious. And then he ripped into “Sundown”.omigoodness he certainly took us all on a wild trip with his dancing and playing! He said he loved to “bugaloo with Gordon Lightfoot!”and was daning all over..and then things quieted right down. From afar the sound of a bagpipe could be heard, and then the piper was marching into the room and onstage playing SUNDOWN!! Good grief!! It then became a sing along and clap along and when it was over we were all exhausted! It was a moment I’ll never forget!

David took the stage shaking his head in disbelief and saying “You guys saw that right?”..”I tried to warn you.”..”Up here everything goes and sometimes you’re tempted to do it all at once! No one dares to go where Michael goes!”

Dave Matheson www.davidmatheson.ca sang “Sit Down Young Stranger” and “Miguel.” This is another multi-talented guy with a beautiful voice-perfect for his choice of Lightfoot songs. Two of my faves.

Jory Nash www.jorynash.comwww.myspace.com/jorynash Jory has a new CD out!!! “Folk Jazz Blues & Soul” The big CD release party is at Hugh’s Room on Feb.1. I have heard several of the songs live and gave a couple of listens to the whole CD yesterday. What a treat to hear new music from this lyricist, singer, musician that I adore. He uses words to great effect and his songs are little vignettes of life, history, love. The perfectionist in him allows only the most sublime backup musicians and singers add that special touch to his own songs and those he covers..I love this new CD and will wait patiently for the next one, perhaps a LIVE recording? Perhaps including “Mother of A Miner’s Child? Time will tell. Thank you Jory. Thank you.

Jory told us that he was about to do a tune that had not been done at any of the previous Tribute shows.Requests to do certain songs are submitted by the artists and he found that some of those he originally wished to do were taken and that left songs with lots of words!! And Jory’s question for Lightfoot was – “why so many words Gord?!” LOL
He sang “Race Among The Ruins” which was a delight to hear! And then the song with so many words – “Don Quixote.” And he did it perfectly – what a voice and guitar picker! One of my all time favourites!!

Rick Fines www.rickfines.com – Rick has just won a Maple Blues award for songwriting with Suzie Vinnick!!! They have a fabulous CD out – www.rickandsuzie.com and Rick has his new CD – “Solar Powered.” Awesome stuff. I love his sound.
Rick did “Boss Man” and “Ribbon of Darkness.” He has “Ribbon of Darkness on his latest CD.
He is an incredible singer with a talent on the guitar that has to be heard and seen to be believed. He commands the attention of the crowd till the very last note is over and the cheering and applause begin. Always a huge round of applause for Rick.
Between songs Rick told us of growing up in Peterborough (2 hours east of Toronto) and being taken to two concerts with his mum where Lightfoot was playing in the local hockey arena, home of the Peterborough Petes. The first time is was Lightfoot alone with his guitar and Rick saw the power of a guitar and voice. The next time was around the time The Fitz was out. After the concert Rick’s mum took him around to the team change room where Lightfoot was. She wanted to get some albums autographed. A security guard told her that Mr. Lightfoot was not accepting any visitors. Rick’s mum immediately said “don’t be silly – we’re family!” They were ushered into the Pete’s changing room and Lightfoot signed the albums and Rick was introduced to him. Mum got a lot of respect after that. LOL!

INTERMISSION

I spoke with David and Aengus and Jory a bit more during intermission. Jory has his CD launch coming up www.hughsroom.com and David is involved with some other bands. The McFlies http://stevius.com/mcflies/david.htm are having a concert at Hugh’s Room to raise funds for a very worthy cause – “Grandmothers to Grandmothers”. www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/grandmothers.htm and www.hughsroom.com .

The second half of the night began with Anne Lindsay – www.anne-lindsay.com - she is a member of the house band for many shows at Hugh’s Room but tonight she was stepping up to the microphone! She played “Softly” on her violin/fiddle and it was lovely. Like a ‘love song lullaby.”
Her next song was “not one picked by anyone else because possibly the men were too scared to sing it and the women would be upset.” She sang “I’m Not Sayin’” and hearing it sung by a woman was quite interesting! She has a lovely, lovely voice and as usual her playing was extraordinary.

Two very young ladies came onstage after David introduced them differently than he did the night before when his girlfriend wasn’t in the audience!
Lol
Amanda and Sheila are a duo named DALA – www.dalagirls.com They sang “Early Morning Rain” in strong, powerful voices a capella. Stunning voices and their harmonies were exquisite. They talked about attending a Ron Sexsmith concert a few months ago and sitting in the balcony at Massey Hall. The lights were up and people were mingling in the aisles when the sound of applause was heard and it got stronger and louder. They looked down and saw a lone figure walking to his seat and everyone standing and applauding. It was Gordon Lightfoot. They were quite amazed that all he had to do was into the place and he got a standing ovation without even singing a song!
The next song was “Song For A Winter’s Night” with Amanda on keyboards and Sheila playing guitar. They received a huge round of applause when they were finished. Very impressive performance.

Kurt Swinghammer www.swinghammer.com was up next and said he had some GORDON LIGHTFOOT anagrams…- GO HOTDOG FLIRT, GUILT FOR HOT DOG, GOT FLIGHT ODOUR.
He then did a very dramatic rendition of “Affair On 8th Avenue.”

Brian MacMillan www.myspace.com/brianmacmillan will be at Hugh’s Room on Jan.31 with his new CD. He’s new to the show this year and I really enjoyed him. Lori Cullen joined him to sing “Sit Down Young Stranger” and then “Carefree Highway.”

David Newland mentioned he was trying to get the show in on time and this year Jason Fowler didn’t tell his renowned “Boilers” story. This also didn’t allow David to play the drinking game he so loved last year – taking a drink whenever Jason said “Boilers”, and Jory didn’t recount his “Mother of a Miner’s Child/girlfriend/yahoos yelling out songs at Massey/breakup story. It could all be condensed into “Mother of a Boilers Child.”
Lol

Suzie Vinnick – www.suzievinnick.com – I spoke with Suzie before the show started and she told me she was doing “Rainy Day People” with a reggae flavour. She sang a bit of it and it really worked so onstage with her guitar it was quite something and Anne Lindsay was playing fiddle as well! Wow!
Suzie then did her rocking’ blues version of “I’d Do It Again.”. Another wow and the audience was blown away. Suzie just won 3 Maple Blues awards – one with Rick Fines and two on her own – one for bass player of the year and one for female vocalist.

Ron Nigrini - http://webhome.idirect.com/~nigrini/RN%20story%201.htm – (“I’m Easy” from the movie NASHVILLE) – Ron told of a time in the 70’s when he mentioned to someone in the music business in New York City that he counted Gordon Lightfoot, a fellow Canadian, as an inspiration as a songwriter and the guy said “that man writes in the promised land!” Ron did a heartfelt version of “The Way I Feel.” In 1974 he spoke with Lightfoot for a few moments backstage at a function and asked him advice about being a songwriter. He knew Gord was rather “pithy with his comments” but was surprised when Lightfoot said to him, “save all of your receipts!” lol..the taxman would need them and every one was important as a self-employed songwriter!
Ron recounted how he learned to Travis pick by listening to “Steel Rail Blues” over and over. He then sang the classic “If You Could Read My Mind.” His voice has hardly changed and it was a pleasure to hear it again.

Jory and David made their way back to the stage to give thanks to all the performers, the folks at Hugh’s Room, the audience, and Aengus Finnan for the idea to do the tribute shows in the first place. He said Aengus had taken a step back this year due to his busy life but had made the fatal mistake of showing up and was wanted onstage to lead the whole ensemble in the finale of “Rich Man’s Spritual.” A beaming Aengus made his way to the stage with a rousing welcome from everyone present. Thanks were also given to the remarkable Rachel who manages and organizes the whole thing so everyone gets fed, gets onstage at the right time, has somewhere to stay etc.etc. It’s a wonderful job she does every year. Rachel then said some very true words about the whole tribute show event that started in January 2003 turning the performers into a community and it was a very special one that included fans of Lightfoot and now fans of the show and its performers.

David then gave thanks to Lightfoot for his music, his words about our land and people, his ability to cross borders and make music about other things beyond the Canadian border.... Aengus then led all of us in singing “Rich Man’s Spiritual.” The night was over and made complete with his presence onstage.
A fabulous standing ovation was welcomed by all the performers as they filed offstage..

Lisa and I waited until the place was almost empty and went to say our goodbyes to Aengus, Jory and David. Rachel offered to snap a few pics, Lisa took some and I took a couple as well. It’s a time honoured tradition that the boys know by heart now!!Aengus saw me coming with my camera and immediately rose to assume the position on one side of me while Jory joined us on the other. It’s too funny and they are sweet beyond telling for putting up with it. But my goodness, look at them!!! Too adorable NOT to take pics! I adore them for their talent and ambition and dreams – their respect for Lightfoot is in their own musical creations as well as their involvement in their exquisite Lightfoot tribute shows.

“The Way I Feel” is a part of the Canadian Lightfoot experience now.

The shows are always different, yet the familiarity of the Lightfoot magic makes for a most comfortable evening enjoying the music of my life in a new way with new friends.

It’s sweet fer sure eh?

Char

Pics at: http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=p86s2u&Ux=0
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
RM

Nice report.

Are these shows recorded ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Dream Street Rose

Char,

Great report and awesome pictures. It is good to see Gordon looking good and that special smile he has.

It probably won't happen but I would like to meet you someday.

DSR in California
Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
charlene

Hey Ron- Lisa and I sit in YOUR seats there by the stairs...love 'em!
Sure wish all of the folks who've come in for the shows were there again this time...you'd have got a kick out of Michael Johnston fer sure!

None of the shows are recorded to audio or video-it's all copyrighted material and the cost would be prohibitive.

It's a shame becuase every one that I've attended has been a memorable gem and a recording would be a real treasure to have..

Well DSR - c'mon to Massey - May 2008...!! I'll be there!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Glenmark

Wow! What a detailed report! Thanks. The only person I've ever seen play an omnichord live was Daniel Lanois about 15 or so years ago at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and it sounded fabulous, as did the whole show. Glad to hear others use it too.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
culverd

To bad no Ottawa show it was very well attended in Ottawa last year. Perhaps a trip to TO will be reuired next year.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
DJ in MJ

Vintage Char, indeed! Awesome writeup and quality pics as usual. I'd have loved to have been there. It's a shame I've never been to Hugh's Room, as it seems to attract a lot of great talent - the GL tribute bands, Murray McLauchlan, Al Stewart, and quite a few others have graced that stage in the last couple of years.

And why was I not surprised that Lisa found the guys and had her pic taken with them yet again?? She's as predictable as you, Char!
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
charlene

Quote:
And why was I not surprised that Lisa found the guys and had her pic taken with them yet again?? She's as predictable as you, Char! [/QB]
Lisa's got to be coaxed tho...as for me - I'm right there like stink on a skunk!
lol
Old 01-26-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
charlene

one performer has this in his BLOG about his night:
http://blog.myspace.com/kurtswinghammer
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
jj

wow, so glad I printed out this review and read it by the window away from the electronics, hanging on every word, that was very therapeutic and deflated me when it was over

it's not too late for you to have missed your calling, char

every Lightfoot or Hugh's recap you put together is not a review, it's a journey!

so many artists that i'm ignorant to this year, thanks for links - these guys are so cute

hey, Gord looks even better in that scarf than he did in the long green one

www.davidnewland.com is quite a site, didn't realize he worked at cbc...he (like you) sounds like canada

i feel there should be a cbc telecast every week called Live at Hugh's Room, even just for radio

www.hughroom.com - in 40 years we'll be referring to these performances the way we refer to village corner and steele's tavern today...raw talent in abundance

thanks, once again, char...hey, lisa looks wonderful
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #11
charlene

David is a multi-talented dude...he used to be at DISCOVERY with Jay Ingram..Jay is in his MCFlies band I think..David is in a few so it could be another...

He has links to more pics of Lightfoot visiting the talent on Frid.19th at Hugh's Room if anyone cares to take a look-see.
www.davidnewland.com

Hey JJ - what about March in Milton????
Old 01-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
jj

where are other tour dates found? timing is iffy, that is wife's birthday weekend (as well as 2 other family members that we'll be hosting) so i'll more likely be at some dinner and chick flick, lol

the worse thing that happened around here was the new movie theatre..it's all all geared to teens and gals!

i usually get me and wife a pair for this local series, but some sell out so quickly, i miss when this JMF and the Hugh's room wasn't to popular, lol

cooincidentally, both Gordon (even he!) and i were on stools in the pack at last Hugh's room, but both our backs got real slouchy after just 2 songs, lol

hey, you can get freebies at last minute can't you? and even a stool with a backrest? lol ...nearly impossible to get to here on a Friday night...timing not good for me, location sucks for you...so where's the full tour listing and would love to hook up for one of these, plus any other board members in the area
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
charlene

So far there's no line-up or other dates for the Tribute Show on-tour.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
gtrrrguy

Hey:
I'm the new guy, so here goes. I noticed on the current GL setlist that he's playing 'The Pony Man' in some shows. (first song I learned on guitar in the late 60's) Glad to hear Gord's health is steady now and his playing is still pretty good. I'll post as I can.
p.s.
If loveandmaplesyrup sees this, please reply and tell us how the show was tonight.
gtrrrguy is offline   Reply With Quote