banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-21-2000, 04:53 PM   #1
ZSmythe

If Gordon Lightfoot were to die, for some reason, or leave this world for life, then what would us fans have to listen to instead. What would the future hold for us who having been listening to his music for all of these years?

Will there ever be another Gordon Lightfoot? Who's gonna fill his shoes?
Old 12-21-2000, 07:47 PM   #2
sandyo

What do you mean, "what would we listen to?" I listen to Gordon every day, he has so very many recordings that I never get tired of any of them and if Gordon were not to record another song, I would continue to enjoy his music forever. Also, beware, as I am sure he has another 50-60 good years left and there are no shoes quite that perfect.
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 08:08 PM   #3
SilverHeels

I seriously doubt any of us wish to even
consider such a thought. Gordon Lightfoot
will never die. He is immortal inasmuch as
his music will live on forever. I for one
refuse to even contemplate a time when he is no longer here with us.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 08:15 PM   #4
supaiblue

Z: It's about time for another name change. Gord has a life -- get one!

[This message has been edited by supaiblue (edited December 21, 2000).]
supaiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 12:16 AM   #5
ZSmythe

Hey Supiablue!!!

You think that I am that DB or Roy guy? Well I am not and if you think that I am and I need a life, think again. I think that "you" are the one who needs a life. After awhile all these people who answer on this discussion form sound pretty much the same.

I think that you just don't like people who are less "Gordaholic" than you are. If there is someone who likes to pick on those who think Gord is a has been or who are less hardcore fans of Gordon Lightfoot, it is probably you. I have a life, and before you call me whatever call me, I think that I should point out that you surf this site too much. This is a free country, so let others who sound the same or different join in. If you want to keep "mistaking" me for DB or Roy or Silver Heels or LAMS or joveski or whoever that "occasionally" surfs this website, than just keep being the geek that you are, otherwise I will ignore you so get lost. Oh and by the way, if you keep surfing this website more and more people will sound the same to you, so get a life and expand your topics otherwise you will find yourself changing your name to "Stupidblue" the man or woman who thinks all man and woman who write on this discussion are the same people.
Old 12-22-2000, 02:23 AM   #6
Rebecca

ZSmythe,
Please don't be ugly.
Rebecca
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 05:16 AM   #7
SilverHeels

ZSmythe: This is a forum for discussion
about Gordon Lightfoot not for abusing those of us who genuinely admire his genius.
I believe you owe Supaiblue an apology
and as it is Christmas it would be the
perfect time to make it. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2000, 06:35 AM   #8
bacall

Dear ZSmythe & supaiblue , please let us not loose sight of what this forum is about . If you want to beat each other to death use e-mail.
As for the question at hand , as long as the music is here , Lightfoot can never die .

------------------
"The house you live in will never fall down if you pity the stranger who stands at the gate"
bacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 01:43 PM   #9
Venomsucker

Yo, guys, I am a friend of the guy known as ZSmythe, He told me where to reach you guys. I know this is a Gordon Lightfoot website and I know this is christmas, but after reading what you guys have written I will hold him away from this website and have him barred from the internet. He is not sorry he bothered on fighting with this Supiablue chickordude and he told me about her and I caught him tryin' to get on this sight after he saw this. I have also disconnected his computer from the internet so he won't talk to you or anyone else. Regarding the others who have as Silver Heels pointed out "abused" Gordon or dissed him for whatever reasons, they are probably gone, and doing other things, so we should have a new law on this website, and I am going to make it official. Anybody who submits replies or topics about Gordon Lightfoot on this website discussion forum, should be a member of the site itself, or a member of his fan club. No unregistered speakers or regular joes aloud. And I hope that whoever that put this site up should enforce that law. If you want to join in as a member, or take part in this, you have to be 110% Gordon Lightfoot fan, and no less. I will leave you with your site your opinions and your musik. I willl Leave 'Lightfoot land' and go to the real world where theres peace on earth. I don't need to hear about this and neither does any of ZSmythes peers.
Old 12-22-2000, 01:50 PM   #10
GL

[Posting deleted]

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old 12-22-2000, 01:50 PM   #11
GL

[Posting deleted]

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old 12-23-2000, 08:01 PM   #12
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

GL,
I debated awhile before dignifying your post with any sort of response, but finally decided I was obligated to.

First of all, let me make a couple of corrections to your comments. I am NOT a "slut" and I am NOT old. And thirdly, Gord and I have been good friends for over 20 years now. However, he has NEVER "banged" me. He has always remained the perfect gentleman (however, the word "gentleman" may be a word you do not know and have probably never heard before. I suggest you look it up in the dictionary at your earliest opportunity.)

I have long ago stopped posting at this site because of people like you. (Those of us who used to post here and enjoy it now hold our discussions at another site where the set-up is designed so that people like you cannot invade with this sort of thing)I have no idea why my name has even been mentioned here. I have not even responded to this thread. I certainly have never attacked YOU and I do NOT appreciate your unwarranted attack on ME. If it gives you pleasure to make the comments you do, then that's your business. Kindly do NOT mention my name again in your filthy-minded dissertations.

And Florian, if you are still monitoring this discussion board, I think it is your responsibility to deal with this sort of goings on. I think you have probably over time flamed most of us who used to post here for what you consider "getting out of line". I honestly feel you should have a word with GL. It's understandable that people can have differing opinions, but just downright slanderous (and untruthful) accusations should not be permitted.

Thank you for listening.

LAMS
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 08:11 PM   #13
sandyo

BRAVO LAMS, and thank you
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 08:12 PM   #14
loveandmaplesyrup

Z....

Since you also mentioned my name, I just want to respond that when I read your first post, I kind of got the impression that you were sincere in what you said. I really didn't see it as a Gord put-down. As much as we hate to think of Gord not being with us, I know that maybe sometimes we have the same question in our minds.

I'm a screenwriter and I know all too well (as does Silver Heels whom you also mentioned) that the written word can sometimes be sadly misconstrued and taken the wrong way. It all depends on your state of mind when you're reading it. (If you're already angry about something, what is written could make you angry because you see it in a different light.) It's so much harder to get across what you want to say when you only have words to put on paper without the voice inflections and body language to go along with it.

If I'm correct and you WERE sincere in what you said, then I'm sure the people here who misconstrued it just made a mistake in understanding you. So please find it in your heart to understand their misunderstanding and have a little forgiveness. We all make mistakes. I don't know about the people who post here now (most of them are strangers anymore), but the ones who used to post here regularly do all share a deep affection for Gord and a love for his music. If that makes us weird, then so be it. But there is a website or discussion board for just about anyone you want to discuss. And people that visit them are just as passionate as anyone here. Please don't judge us harshly because we share a penchant for a certain artist's music.

LOL! Now I probably WILL be beaten about the head and shoulders yet again, but (sigh) so be it.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 12-24-2000, 12:19 AM   #15
2Much2Lose

And that reply from LAMS is a mere shadow of what's in store for 2001, when old scores will be settled !!!!

She's just warming up! Look out world!

YOU GO, GIRL !!!!!

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 01:14 AM   #16
supaiblue

Discovering this site and all of the great people who post here with a genuine respect for GL was a pleasant surprise this year. With that in mind, I would like to apologize to anyone who was a victim of the button my remark pushed.

I will also add that there was no misunderstanding on my part about this topic. This person has written cruel remarks on the GL birthday card, in the guest book, and to members of this site. One of the previous remarks, under one of many names, was a veiled threat to GL or his fans. When I read this topic, I did so with that in mind.

The issues raised have nothing to do with controversy, free speech or fanaticism. Life would be pretty boring without differences of opinion and we would have nothing to discuss. There is alot of room for differing opinion on this board. The real issue is basic respect for GL and the members of this site. Articulating differences of opinion in a compassionate manner is the art of good conversation.

I will continue to speak up if there is antagonism or disrespect to either GL or anyone else. I wish I could claim to be a GL fanatic, but my knowledge does not come close to that of the dedicated fans of this site. Peace To All
supaiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 01:49 AM   #17
Gord

I knew this topic would come up eventually... we all have to go someday and Gordon Lightfoot is no exception... while the thought of that is unpleasant it is a REALITY we as fans will face one day. Hopefully he will be around for a few more years yet... however those of us here who have been lucky enough to meet the man ( me included) can keep his memory alive. I am just fortunate I have listened to his music for the last oh um 27 years LOL... when I am old and grey and in a nursing home 40-50 years from now... I will still listen to Gordon Lightfoot in whatever fashion I can at that time..will CD's still exist then???

Take care
Old 12-24-2000, 01:56 AM   #18
loveandmaplesyrup

Gord,

You and me both. But don't worry about that ole nursing home. You know what the beauty of being in a nursing home is? We'll be telling our stories about Gordon Lightfoot over and over because we won't remember we had already told them. But that'll be okay because the people we tell them to won't remember that we already told them! LOL! So we'll be okay!

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 12-27-2000, 07:04 PM   #19
theotterjudy

You know how there's an old folk's home for actors, veterans, and such? How about one for Gord fans? Then when we all ramble on about Gord, everyone will have stories to share about the good ol' days at concerts, their favorite songs and albums, when they met the MAN himself, and other topics. Wait a minute, that sounds alot like this site!!!
Let's all sign up for Corfid's Home for Gord Fans Only before it gets filled up. I, for one, would be happy to spend my fading years there, wouldn't you?

--theotterjudy

------------------
"the mornin' after blues, from my head down to my shoes..."
-------------------------
"Laughing eyes and smiling face..."
theotterjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 07:28 PM   #20
Rose

A nursing home for Gord fans? Where do I sign up? LOL

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 11:28 PM   #21
charlene

Up in Gord's hometown of Orillia there are lots of "old folks homes" - some are right on Lake Couchiching. I want a room overlooking the water and I would like it painted yellow please.
thanking you in advance,
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 09:16 AM   #22
SilverHeels

I like the idea of the Orillia home and
like my friend I want a view of the water
but I'd like my room painted blue, please.
We can all have access to Corfid to safe-
guard our sanity. OK? Where do I sign?
In fact this should really be a topic on
it's own.
Old 12-30-2000, 09:30 PM   #23
joveski

Boy, I just got back from an intersate trip, and i find this topic. Just a few points

1) What did that guy mean by refering to people who occasionally surf this site? (me being mentioned). Are we the "good" or "bad" ones?. I hope he's not considering us to be Roy et al. I don't have time to "live" here because I'm doing a PhD and part time work and have other bands that I like too. Just because I don't post here every day, it doesn't make me less of a Gord fan. Hell, I listened to EW, COTS, DSR and SSOL all in a row yesterday to relax, and have in a windowpane in my head for some reason - plus i don't post here too often - so, I take it I'm a fan. What's he on about?

2) What's this about another discussion board that was mentioned?

3) With the topic at hand, Gord dying isn't gonna change anything apart from the fact there won't be any new music. He still had the masterpieces that he's recorded. Plus, I don't think he'll be putting out too much new material in the future anyway. Many famous performers have passed away, but they still carry the legend and their music. Plus, it isn't a topic that people like to discuss.

I needed to clear that up!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote