banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
John Doe

At WolfgangsVault.com they are selling a photo of Gordon Lightfoot by Jim Marshall. I will try to paste the url here but if I fail you can search for wolfgangsVault.com
(Wolfgang is the birth name of the late music impresario Bill Graham)
It's worth looking at but no way would I spend $6000.00 for a photo of anyone.
Enjoy. http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Catalo...8-7101a3b1d73d
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
miketouhy

yeah it is an interesting one.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
Borderstone

I agree but I gotta say....there's so much sunlight on his head,it looks like someone gave him a bad haircut! Or it's just a bad hair day.

Hmmmmmmm......
"Now you know I take good car of my locks,
I use shampoo and con-ditioner!"
"You still seem amused but I am confused...
"what-cha staring at me fer?!"
"Baby bad hair,baby bad hair!"
"Bad hair-cut or bad day!

(Feel free to continue it if you like. )

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

To save time for those yet to see this I will do what Mr Doe should have attempted
i.e. ascertained the actual picture's address then put [img] in font and [/img] after that address like so:-

John Fowles

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 24, 2005).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
John Doe

Pardon me all over the place. Though I will admit I'm kinda computer illiterate. You sound like a patient soul, do those instructions work the same on a Macintosh computer? Thanks for your help.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #6
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by John Doe:
Pardon me all over the place. Though I will admit I'm kinda computer illiterate. You sound like a patient soul, do those instructions work the same on a Macintosh computer? Thanks for your help.
Yes I have everlasting patience having tutored several previously computer illiterate folk here on displaying pix
The best advice is to tell you to go to the bottom of this page and "hop to" the test forum then practice there where there are already several test topics to which you can reply.I see no reason why having the disadvantage of using a Mac should stop you. After all the UBB code I used [img] is a simple variation of HTML which all browsers can interpret regardless of platform
One further thought if you register first then post you can then delete your own post and nobody will ever know you are a dufuss!!
Oops sorry you are a member already
good on you

Cheers
John Fowles

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 25, 2005).]
Old 02-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
Ducaire

It looks kind of like his head is on fire. I guess there were too many song lyrics to remember! (Just kidding)
Old 02-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
Sentimental

Only now do I see an elbow growing out of his ear and a guitar growing out of his eyebrow. I love this picture!
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by Sentimental:
Only now do I see an elbow growing out of his ear and a guitar growing out of his eyebrow. I love this picture!

Well, now that you mention it, I see that it is a picture of Lightfoot playing guitar, superimposed on the head shot. Probably the same photo, as the superimposed shot is the same profile view. For $6000, I'd rather have two "normal" photos, thank you.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at mageenet.biz, Hamilton Camp's Offical Web Site at hamiltoncamp.com , and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com. Also visit Dr. Jack's Lightfoot page.

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited February 26, 2005).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #10
Jenney

I think this is a great piece. The symbolism of what is really going on inside his head to me is what makes this. In many ways I think this print captures Lightfoot in a way no other picture ever has.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
jj

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:
Well, now that you mention it, I see that it is a picture of Lightfoot playing guitar, superimposed on the head shot.

well, now that you mention it, i see that if you turn your head sideways you can see an old woman, amazing stuff!...i think it's worth every penny, val...this guy's genius!

jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
charlene

i like the pic too but if I was paying that price I'd want a "Lightfoot" signature instead of the photographers!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by jj:
well, now that you mention it, i see that if you turn your head sideways you can see an old woman, amazing stuff!...i think it's worth every penny, val...this guy's genius!

Were those fireworks in the background?

Old 02-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
Borderstone

It's strange. On Ducaire's I can see Lightfoot w/Guitar clearly within Lightfoot Looking on. ..but in the next 2 pics after,I can't see the superimposed image at all. Or is this two different pictures?

By the way,I think it would have made a great LP cover,maybe a second choice for,"Back Here On Earth"? Or even his U.S. debut? Huh? Been me. Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
It's strange. On Ducaire's I can see Lightfoot w/Guitar clearly within Lightfoot Looking on. ..but in the next 2 pics after,I can't see the superimposed image at all. Or is this two different pictures?

By the way,I think it would have made a great LP cover,maybe a second choice for,"Back Here On Earth"? Or even his U.S. debut? Huh? Been me. Later!

I noticed that, too. The picture I posted looks different, but as far as I know, there's only one picture; I used the reply w/quote option...
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #16
Rob1956

I think I know what the photographer was trying to do, but the image is poorly composed. I looks like someone blew up Gord's head or something. I can't offer a remedy, but just as an observer, it just does not work.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
Long River

I had to look at this for a few extra seconds to find that I really kind of like it. The sunlight does seem to distract at first but it is an interesting photo. It took me a few more seconds (had to tear myself away from that gorgeous face) to see that he's standing on a road, which immediately brought to mind several of his songs - Carefree Highway, Hi'way Songs, Mountains and Maryann and several others that I associate with his wanderings.

A troubadour traveling the land, sharing his songs in little towns.

Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #18
closetcanadian

To me it appears he is standing on a railroad track, not a road. Interesting photo but the asking price is absurd.
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #19
Long River

Yes, you're right, it does look like a railroad, which seems just as appropriate for him, Steel Rail Blues, Canadian Railroad Triology.

For $6,000, I'd like the 2 normal photos, Gord's signature and a private concert. Actually, I'd skip the photos & signature and just listen to him sing all my favorites. But then I'll be doing that this August.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #20
johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by jj:

well spotted Jimbo but.....

I tried rotating the original pic in MGI Photosuite but just could not see the old woman even though I could discern the nose and chin features in the upright picture:-

Eventually it clicked into place but for the benefit of anybody else similarly challenged
I have now rotated and cropped the original to make the old woman rather clearer:-

John Fowles
"I'm speaking tongue in cheek.so how can anyone understand you??
copyright Richard Lederer

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited March 04, 2005).]
Old 03-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #21
johnfowles

Well spotted Walter.It took ages for the penny to drop and meanwhile that Jones rascal has been laughing his socks off as he the image manipulating genius that he is had
carefully doctored the original sothat he could make his point about the old woman viz:-
I had uploaded Jimmy's version of the original jpg (albeit rotated) to my own site:-

jj had used the upload4free service
and comparing it to the "original" you can now clearly see that his uploaded version has had the superimposed picture "beheaded" and he added a false eye:-

This is the "original":-

Great idea Walter thank you kindly.
I was looking for inspiration for my planned "Not Songbook" box set artwork and this picture is ideal!!

------------------
starts at

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited March 02, 2005).]
Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #22
jj

sorry, JF, lol...well, better late than never

i thought that was obvious but i think nobody got it or maybe they did and just did the usual lol...i was just inspired at some point last weekend as people were talking about what they saw when they looked at pic and it reminded me of some of my fave optical illusion pics (i used to love going to the Ontario Science Centre and eating up all that sort of stuff)

anyhow, i thought the 'old woman' one was famous (so i landed her on Gord's sunburst head for a gag ) but maybe not...when i was little all i could see was the old woman but i notice as i get older that now all i can see is the young woman, lol

note: the reason i took so long to reply was that i got sidetracked...i went to search and typed in 'optical illusions' innocently but landed a bunch of naked people pics which had me turning my head sideways and even upsidedown and then backwards...sometimes i think my ISP $charge is a rip off, other times it's a real bargoon! lol
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 PM   #23
brink

It took awhile but I got it finally JJ. I also could only see the little girl.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #24
stationmaster

Hey I finally saw the old hag with the wart on her nose! Whew....................

------------------
"The station is for travelers even you must ride someday"
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #25
charlene

Default Re: Interesting early photo of Gord

here's the photo on Jim Marshall's INSTAGRAM (photo from 1969) https://www.instagram.com/jimmarshal...p/CzxGGCfPVM3/ 1969-gordon-lightfoot-j.marshall photo by char Westbrook, on Flickr
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote