banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #1
Big Blue

they listen to Gord obsessively, everyday and never seem to get sick of him? I listened to Modest Mouse the other day and I'll probably listen to some White Stripes today, but nobody else is as good. I don't even listen to the Beatles anymore for Krishna's sake! Everything else I listen to stands up to comparison with Gord and no one can match him. I really do like Leonard Cohen, but his voice is no match for Gord's. Am I alone on this or is the very reason we've all gathered here?
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Big Blue,

I listen to lots of music - but I MUST listen to some Lightfoot daily. Obsessive ? maybe but more likely discerning and in love. With the music, that is. And some days the only type of music I hear is Lightfoot, so I'm with you....

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #3
brink

I need my daily dose of Gord.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 12:17 AM   #4
searam

I have been in the music biz since I got out of high school. I don't listen to any one artist daily, but The Beatles got me started in this crazy business, and Gord inspired me to be a writer. Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Gordon, Gordon, Hare music!!!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
Big Blue

Thanks! I thought I was alone!!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:46 AM   #6
pirateNC

Can't say i'm that obsessed but the wife does get bothered when I only listen to Gord, Buffett, Haggard and the Stones
pirateNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:36 PM   #7
Big Blue

Well okay. Based on the relative definitions contained in this thread, I am obsessed. I listen to him everyday for hours. I fall asleep listening to him. I wake up to him. It bugs me when my girlfriend plays something else like Lyle Lovett or the Dixie Chicks or Peter Gabriel in the car. I'm like, What's wrong with Gord, why don't you want to listen to the Gord mix I made for you? When I'm agitated, she says, You wanna listen to some Gord?
It must be obsession. But I feel justified because it is the best music ever.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #8
DMD3

I usually listen to him everyday. Every now and then though he gets a little old. Whenever that happens, I play Johnny Cash for the next 2 or 3 days and afterwards, Gord sounds as fresh and as new as ever!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #9
Borderstone

I need to hear Gordon Lightfoot so bad,I once tried to push a CD into my forearm!!

Actually,I love GL's music and think he's great but if i listened to him everyday,I'm afraid I'd run the risk of playing it out!

Every few days is enough for me. Later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #10
Mair

How often do I listen? EVERY DAY! (now I've found him again - after so many years!!!) - and there's so much to choose from, how can anyone ever get tired?
Something for every day - and where would I be without my MP3 discs in my car? Essential! The perfect (only!) start to every day - and the perfect end, too. Obsessive - who, me?!? (But I can only get 10 hours on one CD - that means only 174 tracks at the moment, on one disc - decisions, decisions!!!) - Obsessed - who, me?!?
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #11
violet Blue Horse

Oh I feel loads better now. I thought I was bad - nope. I'm not EVEN in your ballpark

quote:Originally posted by Mair:
How often do I listen? EVERY DAY! (now I've found him again - after so many years!!!) - and there's so much to choose from, how can anyone ever get tired?
Something for every day - and where would I be without my MP3 discs in my car? Essential! The perfect (only!) start to every day - and the perfect end, too. Obsessive - who, me?!? (But I can only get 10 hours on one CD - that means only 174 tracks at the moment, on one disc - decisions, decisions!!!) - Obsessed - who, me?!?

Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #12
brink

Borderstone, I have listened to Gord nearly every day for 30 years. I haven't gotten burned out yet.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 PM   #13
searam

I have been listening to all of Gord's earlier albums the last week, since my car was wrecked ( horrible accident! ) and my loaner car only has a cassette player. Awesome!!! He is the best!!!
Sean
P.S. Mair, how is Wales?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:18 AM   #14
Janice

Hey Mair,

Has the mail carrier delivered your Harmony CD yet???
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:17 PM   #15
Mair

Thanks Searam and Janice! Yes!!! Wales is wonderful today - and today, as it happens - it arrived! (what do you think??!?) I've been waiting for so long - I arrived home at 5pm tonight and "Harmony" was there, and has been played straight through six times since then - PERFECT!!! I am just speechless!!!
Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #16
Borderstone

Hi,Brink! You have a lot more patience than I do I guess. I know I "could" listen to him everyday at least for 30 to 60 minutes but sometimes I really don't have time. So,when I do it's a little treat for myself.

I played out most of my music collection over the years and don't want that to ever happen with Gordon Lightfoot! He and his talent are too cool to let that happen,but i don't wish to risk it. Been me,Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #17
Rona

I am just loving Harmony, and play it constantly. I can't get enough! (Hi, all. I
ve never been on an Internet forum before, but I found this recently and was so excited to find all these other Lightfoot crazy people!)
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:27 AM   #18
stationmaster

I usually pop a CD into the computer when I am on this site. Lately it has been all "Harmony" I love it! The posts always look better with a bit of background music.
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:22 AM   #19
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Rona,

Welcome aboard !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:51 PM   #20
GJA

I lissten to him everyday. Can't get enough. And Harmony is soooooooo much better than APPT. At least, that's what I think.
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:19 AM   #21
searam

Welcome, Rona! This forum has a great bunch of folks, worldwide! And they are all so knowledgeable, that if you have any question about Gord, someone will know! Take care!
Sean
Old 06-25-2004, 07:20 PM   #22
Dan O'Malley

I listened to the "Sundown" album a few weeks back for the first time in awhile. Now it is constant!! Even after hearing these songs hundred's of times, i'm still finding new things to appreciate. That must be the mark of a genius! Right now "Seven Island Suite" is doing my head in! (in a good way.)
Dan O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:07 PM   #23
Rona

Wow! Thank you to all the people who have welcomed me to this forum (webring?) I have to admit I don't know how all this works (or even the correct name, possibly.) I was reading some of the other topics, and it seemed like some people have written nasty things, and some people have pretended to be other people. I can't imagine spending the time to come here and be negative. I would think that people come here to celebrate Gordon Lightfoot, and to share with others how much he has been a part of our lives. Anyway, thanks, all, and I'm sure I'll figure this out (and how to add the extra smiley faces, and what the abbreviations mean) eventually!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:21 PM   #24
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by brink:
Borderstone, I have listened to Gord nearly every day for 30 years. I haven't gotten burned out yet.

Consider yourself lucky. Some people get burned out faster than others.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #25
brink

Hi Rona, welcome! If you click on the home button you will come to a place that has IYCRMM and other abbreviations. That will help you, and when you post a reply there is a place on the side that is yellow "Smilies Legend" that is where you can put your smilies in. As far as posters pretending they are other people, that would be DMDIII he is 16 and not yet given to be very serious. The nasty remarks for the most part just run off and we try not to take offense and it really isn't meant like it sounds. After you get to know everybody it will make more sense. Have fun and enjoy the forum.
Brink

edited for that darn spelling!

[This message has been edited by brink (edited June 27, 2004).]