banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
Gord

UPDATED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA. REGIONAL CENTRE THUNDER BAY ONTARIO.
2.50 AM EST WEDNESDAY 18 DECEMBER 2002.

GALE WARNING CONTINUED FOR..
EASTERN LAKE SUPERIOR

I read this just now and it gave me the creeps... makes me think of the Fitz!... let's hope any ships out there today read this warning!
Old 12-18-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
Gord

EASTERN LAKE SUPERIOR

I read this just now and it gave me the creeps... makes me think of the Fitz!... let's hope any ships out there today read this warning!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
Gord

Oh yes never underestimate the Great Lakes, they maybe small in comparison to say the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, but they can be fierce in a gale or 40km winds for that matter.

Couple of years ago I was out on Erie with my dad and we had to dodge a water spout, I tell ya I was never so glad to see port in all my life!
Old 12-18-2002, 04:54 PM   #4
Gord

Oh yes never underestimate the Great Lakes, they maybe small in comparison to say the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, but they can be fierce in a gale or 40km winds for that matter.

Couple of years ago I was out on Erie with my dad and we had to dodge a water spout, I tell ya I was never so glad to see port in all my life!
Old 12-18-2002, 05:12 PM   #5
TheWatchman

The Great Lakes are VERY unpredictable. I live right along Lake Erie. About 5 years ago my brother and I were out in a 20' boat that I had and we had to battle 6' waves to get in. Very scary and I too was never so grateful to be on dry land. It was a little fun I have to admit but common sense said to get in ASAP!lol
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:04 PM   #6
LizB

Yes, it's phenominal how unpredictable the
Great Lakes can be. Having grown up on the
shores of Lake Superior we knew many who had some very close calls, and some who weren't even that lucky. My father and uncle were
out one time, when a storm came out of no where. Only by the grace of God did they make it back to shore.

------------------
lam
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 09:04 PM   #7
LAM3346E

Yes, it's phenominal how unpredictable the
Great Lakes can be. Having grown up on the
shores of Lake Superior we knew many who had some very close calls, and some who weren't even that lucky. My father and uncle were
out one time, when a storm came out of no where. Only by the grace of God did they make it back to shore.

------------------
lam
LAM3346E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:40 PM   #8
LizB

Oma,

Grew up in Marquette, Mi. "Oma County", huh?
I like that! Think I may have been through there a time or two. Can remember going though Hurley, Wi. on a Greyhound bus at Christmas time, when there was so much snow, that there were two lanes on some streets, with big snow banks in between...right down the middle of the street.

Living by Lake Superior, one was almost always aware of the Lake......one could hear
it, smell it, identify with it, love it, fear it. Depending on which way the wind was blowing, the temperature would change drastically within a matter of minutes, because of the Lake.

Feel very lonesome for it now. Sigh.......

------------------
lam

[This message has been edited by LAM3346E (edited December 19, 2002).]

Old 12-19-2002, 05:40 PM   #9
LAM3346E

Oma,

Grew up in Marquette, Mi. "Oma County", huh?
I like that! Think I may have been through there a time or two. Can remember going though Hurley, Wi. on a Greyhound bus at Christmas time, when there was so much snow, that there were two lanes on some streets, with big snow banks in between...right down the middle of the street.

Living by Lake Superior, one was almost always aware of the Lake......one could hear
it, smell it, identify with it, love it, fear it. Depending on which way the wind was blowing, the temperature would change drastically within a matter of minutes, because of the Lake.

Feel very lonesome for it now. Sigh.......

------------------
lam

Old 12-19-2002, 09:16 PM   #10
SomewhereupinMichigan

I was in Marquette in late October, LAM. Nothing has changed! It snowed as I was arriving one day and leaving the next!!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #11
LizB

SomewhereupinMichigan,

The snow will probably disappear by May.*lol*

------------------
lam
Old 12-20-2002, 12:35 PM   #12
LAM3346E

SomewhereupinMichigan,

The snow will probably disappear by May.*lol*

------------------
lam
Old 12-20-2002, 12:40 PM   #13
LizB

Oma,

It is beautiful! Reminds me of a lot of
Gord's songs. Am still lonesome for it.
We live too far from Lake Superior now. We are in Minnesota.....about three hours from Duluth.

------------------
lam
Old 12-20-2002, 12:40 PM   #14
LAM3346E

Oma,

It is beautiful! Reminds me of a lot of
Gord's songs. Am still lonesome for it.
We live too far from Lake Superior now. We are in Minnesota.....about three hours from Duluth.

------------------
lam
Old 12-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #15
gwn snyder

We live in Indiana but only a 45 minute drive to Great Lake Michigan. I often drive over to the lake to watch the boats come and go in to the ports,like New Buffalo, Michigan City , South Haven, Sagatuk, and even up to Ludington a few times on a camping trip at the state park there.Somedays the water is so rough it reminds a person of the Ocean,and it can be a very dangerous place for the unexperienced sailor,there have been many shipwrecks over the years that they still uncover through modern research and updated equipment now available. Randy
gwn snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #16
LilHoov

We live in Indiana but only a 45 minute drive to Great Lake Michigan. I often drive over to the lake to watch the boats come and go in to the ports,like New Buffalo, Michigan City , South Haven, Sagatuk, and even up to Ludington a few times on a camping trip at the state park there.Somedays the water is so rough it reminds a person of the Ocean,and it can be a very dangerous place for the unexperienced sailor,there have been many shipwrecks over the years that they still uncover through modern research and updated equipment now available. Randy
LilHoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:44 PM   #17
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

When it comes to Lake Superior it seems wrong to call it a "lake". Lake almost sounds petite. Superior acts like a mini-ocean!
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:44 PM   #18
Rob1956

When it comes to Lake Superior it seems wrong to call it a "lake". Lake almost sounds petite. Superior acts like a mini-ocean!
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 06:49 PM   #19
Restless

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

EASTERN LAKE SUPERIOR

I grew up on the big lakes. There are more dangerous and wilder than the oceans because they are encased within narrow boundaries of land...so the waves bounce off from shore to shore..unlike the ocean. Many of the foreign ship captains who travle the great lakes will have a "local" lake pilot to do the work since they are more experienced. The great lakes have seen thousands of ship wrecks. One storm alone in the late 1800's caused the loss of 1000 ships. (Yes, 1 thousand) The great lakes have more shore line than the east and west coast of the U.S

Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:00 PM   #20
Restless

quote:Originally posted by Gord:

EASTERN LAKE SUPERIOR

By the way I have 1/2 of a life boat seat from the Fitzgerld right here with me. It gives me errie thoughts about men trying to reach it during the storm..
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:28 PM   #21
Danlee

THis happened a few years ago round about the tenth. THe Weather Channel had a special on the current storm with flashbacks to the 75 storm that took the Fitz. On a similar note might I recommend Stan Rodgers White Squall (Same subject different artist)

------------------
Kevin E O'Brien
Danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:28 PM   #22
GJA

THis happened a few years ago round about the tenth. THe Weather Channel had a special on the current storm with flashbacks to the 75 storm that took the Fitz. On a similar note might I recommend Stan Rodgers White Squall (Same subject different artist)

------------------
Kevin E O'Brien
GJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 10:01 AM   #23
Sheila Ann

Gosh, LilHoov, your post brought back some fond memories. I grew up in South Bend/Mishawaka and my great escape was a drive to Lake Michigan to just watch the lake and let my mind wander. Warren Dunes, Benton Harbor/St. Joe and South Haven were my haunts. Winter was always the best but I stayed closer to home at Warren Dunes. One day it would be like a sheet of glass and another roaring waves with ice on the beach.
When I moved to Virginia everyone seemed determined to show me the ocean. OK, so I went. I was a little disappointed because I couldn't see what I was supposed to be seeing! Clearly my friends had never experienced looking at a Great Lake.
A couple years ago my daughter and I drove to Toronto in late October for a wedding. She had been all over the world but had never seen a Great Lake. So I got to 'introduce' her to Erie and Ontario. She was amazed..."How can they call these lakes??? They look like oceans" I was so tickled because it was cold and windy and the lakes had good sized waves. They 'perfomed' very well for this novice viewer
Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #24
fowlesjohn

greetings'

I live not too terribly far from lake Erie in the Western Reserve area of Ohio and tonight the weather forecaster's are saying hunker down it's gonna be cold... I love the lakes and I am so glad to hear all of you talk about this area fondly... same as Gord we love this area and wouldn't leave without a fight (even with the intimidating cold that makes us all shiver and look for warmth). It is still snowing here and we look to have a little more for the season and this joyous holiday! I pray you all have a peaceful season as well.
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:39 PM   #25
gwen snyder

greetings'

I live not too terribly far from lake Erie in the Western Reserve area of Ohio and tonight the weather forecaster's are saying hunker down it's gonna be cold... I love the lakes and I am so glad to hear all of you talk about this area fondly... same as Gord we love this area and wouldn't leave without a fight (even with the intimidating cold that makes us all shiver and look for warmth). It is still snowing here and we look to have a little more for the season and this joyous holiday! I pray you all have a peaceful season as well.
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote