banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-02-2004, 02:46 AM   #1
D.Levesque

since the last time I was here. Just finnished watching his 'Live In Reno" DVD and I felt compelled to post again.

Was going on a road trip (picked up a van in Vancouver and driving it back to Edmonton) when I had asked "which GL cd would be the one to get for a first time listener" and most of the responces were directed towards his "Complete Greatest Hits" and thus it's the one I had bought and taken along with me.

Some had 'cautioned' me saying "watch out, this'll get you hooked" and boy did it ever, just sucked me right in and I couldn't be happier that it did! My only regret was not to getting involved alot sooner then I did, missed alot of good listening time. My 5 year old son 'insists' on Gordon Lightfoot and/or Loreena McKennitt for our road trips around town and believe me, I'm not complaining!

I have always been interested in playing the guitar but like it always seems to be I never had the time or this or that came up but listening to Mr.Lightfoot changed all that. I'll never amount to a great player or maybe not even a good player as I don't have the nack (timing, cordnation etc.) for playing guitar but if I can learn to at the very least play Early Morning Rain before I die it'll have made the cause worth it.

Thanks to all of you who answered my (long ago!) post and I'll be lurking!

May Gord win the fight (he is!!) and continue to do what it is he does.

D.Levesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Rob1956

Years ago I saw Gord in Chicago. He had a local singer/songwriter, Bonnie Koloc open for him. I always thought what a great concert it would be if Gord and Loreena shared the bill.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Borderstone

To D.L.-Hi! You know,I too really regret not getting into his music sooner than 2001?!

As I've said in the past,I heard Sundown on the radio the year it came out but I guess being 6 it didn't have much of an impact. A few years later I got Wreck and Carefree Highway and ..Read My Mind,then I actually got Gord's Gold but didn't listen to it a lot. In 1993 I got a great deal on 4 vinyl LP's. $2 apiece! I acquired,Sundown,COTS,S.Time Dream and Endless Wire. Still,even for a few years after that I didn't become a fan or avid listner. It finally took Songbook,which I bought on 8/7/2001,after paying on it for 2 months,that it finally began to click up there. There was more to him than just his hits and a few certain LP's. Then came the 8/6/'02 Phoenix show....all I can say is after hearing and seeing him "live" and then getting to meet him and get autographs,there was no doubt this artist was someone I could relate to 100%!

It also made me think,"Why was I a Neil Diamond fan for so long?" I still like Neil's music but Gord is the true real deal! Better late than never I say but I still wish I'd seen his concerts sooner. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello!

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited January 03, 2004).]
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
DMD3

Welcome back...