banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 09-20-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

CP Entertainment News

Crocodile Hunter: the final show - this time in Steve Irwin's honour

http://video.sympatico.msn.com/v/en-...t_en-ca&fg=rss

Bindi Irwin, daughter of Steve Irwin, reads out a speech about her father at his memorial service. (AP Photo/Steve Holland, POOL)

BEERWAH, Australia (AP) - "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was remembered Wednesday for his "great zest for life" at a public memorial service for the beloved conservationist and entertainer.

"We have lost a friend, a champion," actor Russell Crowe said in a recorded tribute. "It will take some time to adjust to that." Prime Minister John Howard, among the 5,000 in attendance at the Australia Zoo for the ceremony, remembered Irwin for his love of Australia.

"Steve Irwin touched the hearts of Australians and touched the hearts of millions around the world in a very special way," said Howard.

"He did that because he had that quality of being genuine, of being authentic, of being unconditional and having a great zest for life.

"Throughout his all-too-short life he demonstrated a love for the two things that ought to matter more to all of us than anything else - his love of his family and his love of his country."

A exuberant television entertainer and conservationist, Irwin, 44, died Sept. 4 when the barb from a stingray pierced his chest while he was filming for a TV show on the Great Barrier Reef. His family held a private funeral service for him Sept. 9 at Australia Zoo.

The ceremony Wednesday featured footage of the hugely popular television program that coaxed laughter from the attendees.

As expected, there was one empty seat at Irwin's personal stadium - the one set aside for the late and hugely popular "Crocodile Hunter" himself. On the stage sat Irwin's widow, U.S.-born Terri, and their two children, Bindi, eight, and Bob, two - all dressed in Irwin's favoured khaki outfit. It was their first public appearance since Irwin's death.

"Please do not grieve for Steve, he's at peace now," said Steve's father, Bob Irwin.

"Grieve for the animals. They have lost the best friend they ever had and so have I."

Later, Bindi Irwin told the crowd at the ceremony she had the "best daddy in the world."

"I will miss him every day," she said.

Flags on the Sydney Harbour Bridge flew Wednesday at half-mast and giant television screens were set up in Irwin's home state Queensland for people to watch the service. Three of Australia's main television networks carried the hour-long ceremony, which was made available to U.S. and international networks and which family officials said could be watched by as many as 300 million people.

One of Irwin's favourite Australian country singers, John Williamson, sang one of the naturalist's favourite songs, "True Blue."

At the end of the ceremony, Irwin's utility vechicle, packed with camping gear and his favourite surfboard, was driven from the stadium - through an honour guard of Australia Zoo employees - to an encore singing of "True Blue."

After the truck left the stadium, a group of employees spelled out Irwin's catchword "Crikey" in yellow flowers on the ground.

Crowds began lining up Tuesday night for the start of the memorial service. Later, under sunny skies just before the start of the ceremony, dozens of television satellite transmission trucks were parked outside the zoo, a flora and fauna park owned by the Irwin family since 1970.

Irwin's death set off an unprecedented outpouring of grief. Tens of thousands travelled to the zoo near Brisbane to drop off flowers and other mementoes, many of them signing khaki shirts instead of a condolence book.

Since Irwin's death, his conservation charity Wildlife Warriors has seen a surge in donations and its website has received millions of hits.

As part of the public memorial entitled "He Changed Our World," actress Cameron Diaz said in a video presentation that Irwin was incredibly popular in the United States.

"America just flipped for him," said Diaz.

"Every kid was in love with the idea of being him."

Actor Kevin Costner said Irwin put himself "out there" for everyone to see.

"He was fearless," said Costner in the video tribute.

"He let us see who he was. That is being brave in today's society."

[ September 20, 2006, 05:28: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

I watched it "Live" last night, it was very emotional.

Really touching when Bindi Irwin, daughter of Steve Irwin, read out a speech about her father at his memorial service. She hung in there, really cool. ~Jesse-Joe~
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I watched it too. It amazed me that she could get up there and talk about her father, and keep her composure. I know I sure didn't as I was watching it!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
catmanron

When they packed Steve's Ute for the last time, and sang "True Blue", I couldn't see the screen through the tears, very moving.

All the best.. Ron.
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
brink-

Quote:
Originally posted by catmanron:
When they packed Steve's Ute for the last time, and sang "True Blue", I couldn't see the screen through the tears, very moving.

All the best.. Ron.
I thought it was very tasteful, some very somber moments, some very funny moments. The cameras were kind and didn't focus on his family too often. It was a very unique service - much like the man himself.
His daughter was so calm and collected and spoke from the heart. Everyone did. It just breaks my heart everytime Wes speaks.
My grandson was very upset over his death, as many were, but when he called me to tell me he said that even though he was dead he was still his friend. He also asked me what Bindi and Bob were going to do now without their Dad, and Terri doesn't have a sweetie anymore. He is only five.
Steve Irwin kept teaching, even after death. He taught the young ones to grieve.

[ September 21, 2006, 06:02: Message edited by: brink- ]
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote