banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-15-1999, 04:08 PM   #1
Bill

I've heard that there is a scene in this Dylan movie in which Lightfoot plays a Dylan song. Has anyone seen it? Or maybe clarify the subject?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-1999, 04:50 PM   #2
Florian

Hi Bill,

I have looked this film up at the All Movie Guide and found a plot synopsis:

quote:
Bob Dylan made this concert film that chronicles a 1975/76 performance of his rolling Thunder Revue. In between songs he, his wife Sara Dylan, along with Joan Baez, Allen Ginsberg, and other counterculture figures perform philosophically based improvisational peices. During the skits, Dylan plays the ambiguous Renaldo, while Ronnie Hawkins and Ronee Blakely play Dylan and his wife. Songs: "Isis, I Want You," "It Ain't Me Babe," "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," "Hurricane," "Romance in Durango," "One Too Many Mornings," "One More Cup of Coffee," "Sara," "Patty's Gone to Laredo," "Just Like a Woman," "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall," "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowland," "When I Paint My Masterpiece" (Bob Dylan), "Chestnut Mare" (Roger McGuinn), "Diamonds and Rust" (Joan Baez), "Suzanne" (Leonard Cohen), "Need a New Sun Rising" (Ronee Blakely), "Salt Pork West Virginia" (Jack Elliott), "Kaddish" (Allen Ginsberg), "Cucurrucucu Paloma" (Thomas Mendez), and "Time of the Preacher" (Willie Nelson). -- Sandra Brennan

They don't mention Gordon Lightfoot, so he probably doesn't have anything to do with that movie.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-1999, 12:31 PM   #3
Florian

Dear Bill,

I do have updated information on this subject:

quote:
All Movie Guide notwithstanding, there is a Lightfoot recording in the movie. It was probably uncredited - which perhaps explains why AMG didn't mention it - but the voice is unmistakeable. The entire recording is only some 1:30-something long, but it is worth hearing.

The song is Dylan's Ballad In Plain D, about the breakup of a long-term relationship (a subject with which Lightfoot can certainly relate). Many Dylan fans marvel that the "mystery singer" in R&C sounds so much better than Dylan does on the studio recording on his album Another Side. Lightfoot only sings a couple of verses, for which he doesn't quite know the words, but he sure makes it sound nice.

The recording was made by Dylan into a handheld tape recorder in an upstairs bedroom at Lightfoot's home the evening of 12/1/75. Lightfoot performed with Rolling Thunder that night in Toronto (the next night too), and invited everyone back to his home for one of his infamous parties of that era. And, as it was a party during his drinking years, I would guess that neither he nor anyone else there was exactly sober.

So you were right; there is a bit of Lightfoot in that movie.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-1999, 06:31 PM   #4
drew

Send a message via ICQ to drew

I have benn looking for a video playable in Scotland of this movie. Any leads welcome.
I have heard that Dylan and Lightfoot are to tour. Do you have any morte information?
Drew
drew is offline   Reply With Quote