banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
brink

Taking into consideration the vocal range that Gord has now; What songs would you like to hear in the 2006 tour. Any you would like dusted off and played anew again?

I would like to hear Home From the Forest live.

[ October 27, 2005, 12:19: Message edited by: brink ]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
seafarer62

I have always wondered why GL doesn't reserve one or two songs in his sets for "obscure" songs that he would perform for a month or so, and then rotate some more.

As I recall, he did this in the late 1990's when "On Susan's Floor", "That Same Old Obsession" and "Sit Down Young Stranger" made set lists.

And he did it at the Aurora, IL concerts in mid-August when I heard "Bitter Green" for the first time ever, after 28 concerts.

Hope he does more of this to keep us newsgroupers happy and wondering what he will do next.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
Borderstone

I think I'd like to hear him "dust off" a good portion of the UA years,maybe The Way I Feel and Steel Rail Blues as well as throwing in the rarity "You'll Still Be Needing Me".

Definetly go deeper into his 70s LPs and sing Saturday Clothes,Me & Bobby McGee,Minstrel Of the Dawn,(wont happen) but almost all of "S.S.O.L" LP,Mother Of A Miner's Child,It's Worth Believin',Somwhere USA,Is There Anyone Home?...I guess you get the idea!

I hope Gordon does and by the way,if Mr. Lightfoot is reading this....please,come to Phoenix again...pretty please? Huh,will ya huh? :D
Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Oh yes, pleeeease!!!! Me & Bobby McGee is one of my all time favourites, I have to admit. And while we're on that album, would you also play SDYS for me, Mr. Lightfoot????

What about The Watchman's gone? Did he do that song recently? I also would like to hear "whisper my name", although it probably has too many high notes in it, I myself struggle to sing along...

Ahh well, there are too many songs I would love to hear, preferably when he comes to Minnesota next year...hopefully.

I usually really have a knack for songs, where his accoustic guitar stands out, I really love that.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Jenney

He did Watchman in Portland, and the night before did Minstrel. I can't remember the last time I heard him do Bobby McGee, if ever.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Oh, YES! YES! Please Saturday Clothes!!!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:48 AM   #7
<jbt>

"changes", i'm dying to hear them do"changes".
i talked to gord and he told me that phil ochs taught him the chords of changes on the back steps of a toronto coffee house.
i met and talked to him yet again and he said that he "should try to put that into the repertoire". probably won't ever happen, but that's the song that i long to hear!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
joveski

i'd love to see the auctioneer return in the encores sections, but it wont
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
<formerlylavender>

I hope he does Bitter Green on Friday. I know he's been doing it in concert, but he didn't include it at the Keswick. I'd love to hear it live.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:37 AM   #10
Sydney Steve

"Summertime Dream" ? (came the forlorn and hopeless ) cry...
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
Long River

I think a good song to start each concert would be "If it Should Please You" cause that's what he does. And I'd love to hear "The Watchman's Gone".
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #12
Robby Lake

"The Watchman's Gone" for sure.
"If It Should Please You"Would be a wonderful gig opener.Perhaps it would not be to tough on the voice box.Her are some other songs that are buried in boxes,which do not require streching to reach notes,that I would love him to bring back."Long Thin Dawn",Can't Depend On Love",
Old 10-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #13
Minstrel Man

To Sydney Steve:

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but a while back in an interview, Gord said that he avoids playing songs that are in the key of C. For some reason, he finds that key somewhat awkward. This was enlightening for me. It may explain why he never plays Summertime Dream. Summertime Dream is clearly set in the key of C. Another consideration is that the song is a little higher in the register at certain points. When I heard that comment I went into some mourning as I began to think of songs that are done in the key of C that we may never hear. Mind you, there aren't that many.

MM
Minstrel Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #14
Sydney Steve

Thanks Minstrel Man. No I didn't know that. My musical knowledge is hopelessly inadequate.
All I remember about music theory was the length of my Music teacher "Miss Macgregor" 's skirt which was slightly bigger than the average handkerchief..
(Yikes my breathing has changed and I'm fogging up the screen !!!!)

I did surmise it may be a little high in parts as I had noticed by gut feel that a few of those that are higher seem not to get played...

Your info. has an upside for me ...At least it is not, ( as I secretly feared ), that he doesn't play it 'cos he hates the song....

[ October 28, 2005, 12:05: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 10-28-2005, 11:32 PM   #15
Molly

I would like Same Old Loverman - but it has too many high notes.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #16
Robby Lake

Well,I know as a guitar player myself,that most everything Gord does is with a capo on the 2nd. fret.Once in a while it is on the 3rd.And once in a very blue moon he will play without it.
The song "Summertime Dream" is in the Key of "D".
He plays it in "C",with the capo on the @nd. fret,
so in reality it is brought up to "D".
If Lightfoot blays a song in "C" it's very likly that he means:the A chord with the capo on the
3rd fret!
The song "Beautiful" for example,was recorded in the key of C,He probably does it now a half step lower in B.
Another example of this would be "Canadian- R.R.Trilogy".The 12string guitar use to be set with the capo on the 3rd fret.He would play the song in the key of "F" as a D chord.I believe that ever since Gord's Gold in '75 he has done it in E.It's all about the voice!
I was back stage after one of his shows and being somewhat familiar with the fact that I'm young and perform almost all of his material when I play out,he surprisingly asked me a weird question.
Gord asked,"Do you use a capo for Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
And I answered,"Yeah..offcourse.
He then said,"Well,people that use the capo;they're a dyin' breed!
Robby Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #17
kaibab

I saw/heard Lightfoot perform in Aurora -- first time ever. He did Bitter Green near the end of the performance. It was a real strain for him so I didn't enjoy that piece. Bitter Green should be permanently dropped if done in that key. I'd like to see him pay more attention to songs done in a lower key, after all he is a baritone. In doing so, he could incorporate many more of his 'obscure' tunes. It would be a more pleasing concert. I paid close attention to his singing that night and felt he 'spoke' many of the lyrics rather than singing them. This may be a function of high notes. Also, there are many opportunities to modify the music so that some of the lines and notes "come within range".
kaibab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #18
jeffyjo

I would love to hear "All I'm After", and "Same Old Obsession".
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #19
Harmony

MayI
Someone To Believe In
Harmony
Rainbow Trout
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #20
Valerie Winslow

If Gord sang "I'm Not Supposed to Care" I would just melt or freeze, I'm not sure which but sure would love to find out!!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #21
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Well I'd like to hear GO GO ROUND but I'm not holding my breath.

On that note does anyone remember when the concerts for 2005 started to be announced? I can't recall and I sure would like to start lining up some 2006 trips as soon as they get announced, assumimg for the moment that there will be a robust schedule in 2006. John Fowles is working on some ideas for badges that could be used to identify each other. Some more corfid get-togethers would be nice.

I must confess I don't feel right with no GL tickets in my closet (for future dates that is, stubs I have,LOL).

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 PM   #22
<TC>

I agree with LongRiver, "if it should please you" would be a great song to start out a concert with. However...The song that's been going through my mind today that I'd like to hear "live" is, "Rosanna". Do you think 2005 Gord could pull it off? I'm not sure but I'd love to hear him try. TC
Old 11-06-2005, 02:01 AM   #23
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

http://www.lightfoot.ca/2006.htm for 2006 tour dates.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 AM   #24
Molly

There is nothing listed there just that private concert, will he be touring in 2006?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #25
Auburn Annie

Probably but they haven't nailed down dates and venues yet. They'll be added when that's figured out.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote