banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee
Default Darcy Farrow (not GL, but he sang it)

This is only tangentially related to Gord, but sometimes people do post something about other artists here in the main forum, so I am doing so and beg your indulgence (Char, forgive me).

Darcy Farrow is one of the songs that Gord sang live early in his career (late 60s); unfortuntely he never recorded it although many internet "bios" of the songwriter (Steve Gillette, who wrote the song with his friend Tom Campbell) say that Gord recorded a Gillette song. I once asked Steve about that, and he said that he didn't know where that error came from, but yes it must be Darcy Farrow that some people think Gord recorded, and he would be honored if Gord ever did.

The video is from a recent performance, with his wife Cindy Mangsen. I have been asking Steve for a video of Darcy Farrow for at least a year and a half, and he keeps saying he has something somewhere. Somebody has just posted several high quality videos and this one - my favorite song of his - is just a sample. The song was recorded first by Ian & Sylvia, on the same album as the two Gord songs. Quite a wonderful album it was. The most famous recording of the song is John Denver's, who is often thought to be the songwriter. I think this live performance shows that - like Gord with his songs - Steve performs his own songs better than anyone else!

For you guitar players, notice Steve's playing style. He holds the pick with two fingers, and fingerpicks with the others. He's not the only person who does that, but he sure brings it to a high level of perfection!

Their web site is in my signature below, if you want to know more about them or check their tour schedule.

Last edited by vlmagee; 10-28-2008 at 09:36 AM.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
talbot10

Default Re: Darcy Farrow (not GL, but he sang it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
YouTube - STEVE GILLETTE and CINDY MANGSEN AT THE COOK SHACK (Part 1)

This is only tangentially related to Gord, but sometimes people do post something about other artists here in the main forum, so I am doing so and beg your indulgence (Char, forgive me).

Darcy Farrow is one of the songs that Gord sang live early in his career (late 60s); unfortuntely he never recorded it although many internet "bios" of the songwriter (Steve Gillette, who wrote the song with his friend Tom Campbell) say that Gord recorded a Gillette song. I once asked Steve about that, and he said that he didn't know where that error came from, but yes it must be Darcy Farrow that some people think Gord recorded, and he would be honored if Gord ever did.

The video is from a recent performance, with his wife Cindy Mangsen. I have been asking Steve for a video of Darcy Farrow for at least a year and a half, and he keeps saying he has something somewhere. Somebody has just posted several high quality videos and this one - my favorite song of his - is just a sample. The song was recorded first by Ian & Sylvia, on the same album as the two Gord songs. Quite a wonderful album it was. The most famous recording of the song is John Denver's, who is often thought to be the songwriter. I think this live performance shows that - like Gord with his songs - Steve performs his own songs better than anyone else!

For you guitar players, notice Steve's playing style. He holds the pick with two fingers, and fingerpicks with the others. He's not the only person who does that, but he sure brings it to a high level of perfection!

Their web site is in my signature below, if you want to know more about them or check their tour schedule.
I love that song. A great true acoustic performance by Steve and Cindy.
really nice vocals.
Bill
Old 10-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
SherylKat

Thanks for the background on this great song, Val! I DID think John Denver was the songwriter...I can't imagine GML singing it!

SherylKat
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
brink-

Val, I think I saw this on PBS. Isn't it recorded in Breckenridge? I seem to remember this vividly.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
vlmagee

Deb,
"Performed at the Cook Shack in Union Grove, NC, September 11, 2008" (credit at You Tube). The only thing I can think of that might have been broadcast on PBS was a Mountainstage performance at the Kennedy Center from about 2000. Mountainstage has that video online and Steve & Cindy link to it from their web site, but the quality (I think the encoding, not the original video) is dreadful.

And Sheryl, I most definitely can imagine Gord singing it. It's a story song, isn't it? With a beautiful melody and music adaptable to different arrangements.

My guess is that Ian Tyson taught it to Gord. We know he taught him Nova Scotia Farewell and, interestingly, this song (Darcy Farrow) was written as a class project to imitate an old traditional ballad. I can hear Gord singing it (in my head). Boy, that's something I wish were on a bootleg somewhere!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
jj

love that guitar style and her voice creates a very nice blend

when GL sang it early on, did Terry (W) sing the harmony?

...so much little known but well seasoned talent throughout north america's (and beyond) folk/coffee houses...or in just plain old basements
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
vlmagee

As far as I know, GL sang it in the mid and maybe late 1960s, making it pre-Terry, and probably pre-Rick. He may have performed it only solo. He didn't have enough original songs for a full concert until 1968, so his early shows included many of the folk songs popular then. (Edit) Now I realize you are asking about Terry Whelan. The song was after the Two Tones era. I think it was written in 1965.

Glad you enjoyed the music! I thought that people here would appreciate it.

Last edited by vlmagee; 10-29-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
jj

oh, by Terry (W) I meant Whelan...didn't know if it was the duo era

thanks again
Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
vlmagee

JJ, just so you know, I realized you meant TW and added the edit before you posted again! What are we both doing on here anyway? This is almost a chat!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmagee View Post
What are we both doing on here anyway?
funny, the big boss just came by and made a similar comment, oh well
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #11
lighthead2toe

Very nice topic Val and about a very nice song.
The John Denver version is my favorite as I'm a big fan of his.
Tempo is the big struggling point I've encountered learning this tune and it's of the utmost importance as I've realized in order to fit all those sweet licks in there leaving enough breathing space to appreciate them.

You might say I'm a bad tempoed guy so the metronome has helped immensely.
That tune flows so beautifully.
Recently I bought the DVD "Learn to Play the Songs of John Denver" as taught by "Peter Huttlinger." He was the lead guitar player in John's band and this DVD gives a step by step instruction guide on haw to pull off those cool notes. "Rocky Mountain High" is on there as well and I really like that one also.
He has a DVD of Gord's material available with eight tunes.
The web site is: www.homespuntapes.com. Stay loose. Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
nodrog

Pretty harmony !!! beautifull song
nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 AM   #13
Nightingale

Val, thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed hearing this great song. What beautiful harmony and style they have.
Yes, I can hear that it has a rather odd tempo. I bet that would be difficult to learn.
Very nice.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
Nightingale

Hi nodrog and welcome to corfid.
Hope you enjoy your time here.

Anne
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
vlmagee

If anybody wants to learn to play it as Steve does, he has a CD that teaches guitar playing (How To Play Guitar Like I Do). Yeah, right. I wish. But one can learn a lot from it even if one doesn't ever reach his level. The CD starts with the basics and builds on that, and teaches several songs in detail including Darcy Farrow. (Sad to say, I never got past lesson 3 ...). The CD is available at their web site, along with a songbook of songs Steve has written or co-written. (And, if you get the CD, you get a link to a web page with tab for the guitar solo in Darcy Farrow).

Here's a link to the CD description:

How To Play Guitar Like I Do

and the web site at www.compassrosemusic.com

Tags
cindy mangsen, darcy farrow, steve gillette