banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
seafarer62

Default Minneapolis, MN Set List- Sept. 17

Hello again everyone- the headline from this show is that Gord gave a commanding performance at the State Theatre in downtown Minneapolis.

My wife and I were celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary and had dinner at Azian Kitchen- a newer Asian place downtown. (Very good meal.) The State Theatre is in the heart of downtown, near to the Target Center (basketball arena) and Target Field (Twins baseball). Downtown was really hopping on a mild and pleasant Saturday night. The theatre itself was restored about 20 years ago. Very ornate and full of Renaissance paintings of naked ladies being attended to by winged child angels and cherubs. The theatre also has a couple of balaconies like out of "Romeo and Juliet". Pretty high class for a farm boy from northern Minnesota.

The theatre was full on the main level. I did not get a good view of the balcony, but during intermission, I went up front and it looked fairly full. The crowd was a little slow to get seated and the concert started at about 8:05 p.m. Gord came out in the blue velvet jacket, black jeans and cowboy boots to start in. Here is the set list:

1) Did She Mention My Name
2) Carefree Highway
3) Sea of Tranquility
4) Never Too Close
5) A Painter Passing Through
6) Let It Ride
7) Christian Island
8) Shadows
9) If Children Had Wings
10) Beautiful
11) Hangdog Hotel Room
12) Ribbon of Darkness
13) Sundown
14) Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Intermission
15) Sweet Guinevere
16) Cotton Jenney
17) Ringneck Loon
18) Home From the Forest
19) Waiting For You
20) Make Way for the Lady
21) Fine as Fine Can Be
22) If You Could Read My Mind
23) Restless
24) Baby Step Back
25) Canadian Railroad Trilogy
26) Encore: Rainy Day People
27) Encore: In My Fashion

The tone for the show came at the very beginning. Right before he was about to sing, a woman very sincerely, but loud enough simply said, "Gordon, we love you." He said thank you and that "we love the work."

I thought Gordon started vocally very strong but he really struggled with "Painter Passing Through" In fact, he unexpecetedly did not sing the fourth verse and we could see the band members look at one another to close the song off. It's too bad because it is verse 4 that is the powerful statement of the song.

Gord did not make mention of Terry's passing, but just introduced as Carter as the new lead guitarist. I wonder how many in the audience were even aware of it as Terry sat by Gord's side going back to Twin Cities performances I attended in the 1970's.

He introduced "Children Had Wings" that he was separated from his two children for two years by the ocean. He wished they had wings he said. The first set ended with several 12-string songs that set the place rocking.

Sweet Guinevere is a soft ballad that I believe had never been played in the Twin Cities. After Cotton Jenny, he grabbed his other 12-string and sure enough a pleasant surprise was in store. Right before "Ring Neck Loon," a woman up front yelled out, "Gordon, I want to have your baby." Gordon was caught aback, looked around at the band members, and came back to the mike and said, "Thanks, but you don't have to worry about that." The Minnesota state bird is the Common Loon, so it was appropriate that Gord then said, "I am surrounded by loons!" He did a full-length version of "Loon", where sometimes I have heard him do a shortened version of it.

My wife appreciated hearing the rare, "Home From the Forest" and "Fine as Fine Can Be". Again, I don't recall Gord doing those songs here and I haven't missed a Twin Cities concert since 1978. Before starting "Home From the Forest", he said that they haven't done this song in a "month of paydays."

He was a bit hoarse during Baby Step Back, so I wondered if he would try the Trilogy. But sure enough, he did. Before "Trilogy", he said, "This will be interesting, we are going to do the Trilogy." Like a locomotive, he chugged his way through the high notes towards the end.

The standing ovation crowd welcomed the guys back. He said that they were so glad to be in Minneapolis again and very politely thanked us for coming out. The guys then proceeded to do a double-encore with Rainy Day People and In My Fashion. At 10:05, the lights come up and the minstrel of the dawn was gone.

I would give the concert 9 out of 10. It was a tremendously energetic concert. My wife loved the ballads. I was hoping for "Old Dan's Record's" and "Song for a Winter's Night", but there are always good songs left unsung at every Gordon concert. On Saturday, he left out Don Quixote, 14 Karat Gold and Clouds of Loneliness. He had done 10 different songs from Friday night in Mahnomen. There were just minor lyric mistakes- this guy is incredible for age 72- I don't know how he does it. He is an inspiration for me in my own work to keep working hard, practice what you need to know, and that one has gotta press on.

So now I'm going to watch the Minnesota Vikings football game, then drive to Duluth, enjoy a third and final night of Gord, and get back home after midnight. God willing, I will post a set list in the morning before I go in to work. Talk to you later, everyone. John
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Minneapolis, MN Set List- Sept. 17

He's a modern day miracle for sure. All accounts have been great-the shows are energetic and crowds appreciative. Doesn't get better that! thanks for posting your thoughts and set list.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Thanks for the great review (always a pleasure to read) John.

I was hiding behind a column and video taped 1,5 songs... After Ringneck Loon I was ready to go back to my seat when Home from the Forest came, so I unfortunately missed the beginning. Was a highlight for me, lovely song - it should stay in a regular rotation. His voice sounds fabulous!

Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
Dream Street Rose

Awesome Claudia, thank you so much for sharing.

DSR
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
charlene

thanks Claudia!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Tim

I love "Home From the Forest." That was the one song omitted from the Springfield, IL concert that I wish he had done when I saw him last week. But Gordon has so many jewels, every concert is bound leave one or two out that someone was hoping for. Regardless, in this video, it was a great treat to see him introduce the band. Thanks so much, Claudia, for posting.