banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
mercedes

For all those lost souls who have not got this tour de force in their collection, there's one now on ebay with a "buy now" option of $15.

Go get 'em !!

Mike
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
ricky Jay

OMG!

Well, before this message came about, I had just ordered it last night on Amazon...I couldn't buy a New one (and I always buy New CDs otherwise) because this New one on Amazon was $25 and I just couldn't get the $25 one, because I had wanted to order other things along with it...I ordered a "Like New" version for $7.75, I think...I hope that I don't regret this...the so-called New one said it had a "saw cut on the back insert" and that kind of sounded freaky to me and not really New.

I sure hope that my CD turns out all right though. I was even going to make a thread asking everyone what they thought of the WFY album and to describe it in a nutshell...I kind of wanted a sneak preview of it, that's all... :D
ricky Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Shazia

OMG!

Well, before this message came about, I had just ordered it last night on Amazon...I couldn't buy a New one (and I always buy New CDs otherwise) because this New one on Amazon was $25 and I just couldn't get the $25 one, because I had wanted to order other things along with it...I ordered a "Like New" version for $7.75, I think...I hope that I don't regret this...the so-called New one said it had a "saw cut on the back insert" and that kind of sounded freaky to me and not really New.

I sure hope that my CD turns out all right though. I was even going to make a thread asking everyone what they thought of the WFY album and to describe it in a nutshell...I kind of wanted a sneak preview of it, that's all... :D
Shazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
mercedes

Oh Dear !!

A "sawcut" in the back insert is akin to corner or knife slice cutouts on LP's .... but they're generally much neater ...

WFY is (in my opinion) a masterpiece. Why it remains deleted is beyond me .... there are some remarkable tracks and covers ....

"Restless" / "Ring them bells" / "Wild strawberries" / "Drink yer glasses empty" are just superb songs.

It seemed an eternity had passed between the release of this album and his previous recording so he could have sung the local bus timetable for all I cared and I'd still have bought it. It's warm, engaging, particularly well written (and performed) and deserves to be ranked alongside his more recognisable standards.

Mike
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
ricky Jay

I can't wait for it!

There were snippets of only 5 songs on the Amazon webpage, and when I heard the snippet "Only Love Would Know," I thought to myself, I gotta get this one...
Old 08-02-2005, 12:00 AM   #6
Shazia

I can't wait for it!

There were snippets of only 5 songs on the Amazon webpage, and when I heard the snippet "Only Love Would Know," I thought to myself, I gotta get this one...
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Alberta

I must agree with you Mike. Waiting For You is a masterpiece. In fact, time and time again, I keep coming back to this album and I think I've come to the conclusion that it's actually my favourite Gordon Lightfoot album. The writing is superb, the melodies are deceivingly simple, and I like the sparse, acoustic recording. You can really tell he put a lot of time and effort into the creation of this record, and I believe Reprise could have exploited this record more commercially had they had the vision or the desire to promote GL's music more. Can't believe it's been deleted. It truly deserves more promotion and I encourage anyone who hasn't heard it on this board, to get a copy somehow. It is superb.
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Kenyon

I must agree with you Mike. Waiting For You is a masterpiece. In fact, time and time again, I keep coming back to this album and I think I've come to the conclusion that it's actually my favourite Gordon Lightfoot album. The writing is superb, the melodies are deceivingly simple, and I like the sparse, acoustic recording. You can really tell he put a lot of time and effort into the creation of this record, and I believe Reprise could have exploited this record more commercially had they had the vision or the desire to promote GL's music more. Can't believe it's been deleted. It truly deserves more promotion and I encourage anyone who hasn't heard it on this board, to get a copy somehow. It is superb.
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

I concur with Mike and Kenyon, Shazia. I LOVED WFY. I played it so much, I just about ruined the first one within a month of its purchase, so I had to buy another! At $25 per, it was pricey, for sure. I even tried that famous record store in Toront (Sam's?), but, got back an e-mail which read, "Lightfoot Not Waiting for You." (Meaning they didn't have it it stock.) I can't tell you the punch to my gut I got when I read that! Not nice!! Anyway, hope your copy comes out o.k. Let us know!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #10
ricky Jay

Hi Sheryl, I am so glad I saw your response regarding WFY because I remember you in particular saying a couple of times how much you loved this album. I am so delighted to be getting this, that it isn't even funny. I have to wait a full month now before I can get Sunday Concert (the one with the BONUS tracks though), Summer Side of Life, IYCRMM, and possibly Gord's Gold...the reason for the latter is that I want to finally have all 3 versions of Canadian Railroad Trilogy. I just want to know how all 3 versions sound from one another. It would provide me with some piece of mind!

I'm hanging in there for now...and you can probably expect me to write another thread regarding how I feel about WFY, just like I did with Endless Wire!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #11
Shazia

Hi Sheryl, I am so glad I saw your response regarding WFY because I remember you in particular saying a couple of times how much you loved this album. I am so delighted to be getting this, that it isn't even funny. I have to wait a full month now before I can get Sunday Concert (the one with the BONUS tracks though), Summer Side of Life, IYCRMM, and possibly Gord's Gold...the reason for the latter is that I want to finally have all 3 versions of Canadian Railroad Trilogy. I just want to know how all 3 versions sound from one another. It would provide me with some piece of mind!

I'm hanging in there for now...and you can probably expect me to write another thread regarding how I feel about WFY, just like I did with Endless Wire!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
jeffyjo

When it's in stock, you can get it used for $9.99 at djangos.com, my favorite used CD place. that's what I did.

Jeff
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote