banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 06-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Holy Moley! Stay safe out there

What is this world coming to, shooting inside Eaton Centre at the food court, on a Saturday night? Wow. So sorry to hear this, one dead, seven injured.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...-dead-16483955
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
niffer

Default Re: Holy Moley! Stay safe out there

It's shocking, isn't it? I was there last May, a lot of us were. So sad and unsettling.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Can't remember the last time I heard of such an inncident ina US shopping center but there've been a few office innidents here in the last week or 2.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
charlene

It was just before 5:30 on a saturday night. Many fans leaving the ballgame including our 3rd baseman were there...he was the first to tweet about it as he was just seconds from the area where it happened in the new food court...Very unusual for Toronto, but it's one crazy gang related incident that has unsettled everyone. The police know who they are looking for..it was a targetted hit on one specific person. sadly, for some reason several others were shot in the chaos. Toronto and surrounding suburbs (GTA) had only 41 murders last year I believe...that's too many but substantially a lot less than many other cities of the same size and population of 5 million. Gangs/guns/drugs/prostitution..welcome to the the big city....and even the small towns 45 minutes from Toronto ... prayers for those injured last night.. http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...-shooting?bn=1
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
timetraveler

I must say that it came as one hell of a surprise to me as well. It came as a figurative slap in the face when I heard about what happened. I can't help but wonder just what sort of a demon possessed the shooter to do such a thing.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
charlene

it seems the two involved were in the same gang..gangs of any kind have a different moral code. that's quite a reaction TT.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ther-says?bn=1
Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
timetraveler

I read the article on the shooting & can only imagine the chaos that had been going on at the time. I kinda wonder just what all Lawrie had to tweet about the event.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
charlene

His tweets are in the article. He was tweeting what was going on. He is followed by many media people and I think he was the first person to 'announce' that this was happening. I saw it when he tweeted it and commented on it to my daughter that something was going on at the Eaton Centre..then he tweeted again with apicture from across the street. It must have been terrifying for those anywhere in proximity to the gunfire and sounds that were going on in the food court area and up the escalators. It's a huge space but low ceilings as opposed to other areas of the centre..very scary stuff. I know when I was there a couple of months ago I found the normal 'din' of people talking, etc. annoying because it was quite loud.