banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 03:22 AM   #1
MatthewBullis

Hello, there's a seller who has a copy of Gord's Gold vol. 2 for me which I ordered, but he says that this is only one record. Is this possible with 18 songs, or was there an abreviated version made?
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 12-05-2003, 03:22 AM   #2
MatthewBullis

Hello, there's a seller who has a copy of Gord's Gold vol. 2 for me which I ordered, but he says that this is only one record. Is this possible with 18 songs, or was there an abreviated version made?
Thanks a lot.
Matthew
Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 AM   #3
TheWatchman

I believe GG-II is only one LP, unlike GG.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Another interesting question Matthew which led me to look at my original Gord's Gold vinyl albums again to recompare to their CD successors.
In particular the original Gord's Gold was indeed a double vinyl album containing 22 tracks (10 on disc 1 12 on disc 2) whereas the CD that is now out of print has only 21 tracks due as the insert smugly states "the track "Affair on 8th Avenue" which appears on the double album and cassette has been omitted so as to facilitate a single specially-priced compact disc". So that's allright then however that disc according to my CD player has a total running time of only 72 minutes 3 seconds. This was obviously long before ways were found to squeeze in rather more since for example all 4 discs in the Songbook box set run around 74 minutes and of course the current "standard" CD-R is 80 minutes. Perhaps Warner/Reprise should reissue Gord's Gold with the full set of tracks. How about it Thane???
Actually the subject of CD and CD-R running times is quite complex involving "lead-in" tracks and error correction provision
The same applies to the new Recordable DVD disks and SACD (Super Audio CD) standards.
Some of you may well be asking what is SACD ??
for details see:- http://www.audiouk.com/sacd.htm or http://sacd.no/
It seems that most if not all Bob Dylan albums have been remastered and issued in "Hybrid CD" format have a look at:- http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:grCpQhDBPVMJ:www.bobdylan. com/remasters/+bob+dylan+sacd&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Going back to the topic.
For the record, as it were, all Gord's Gold disc 1's 10 tracks were in fact newly recorded versions of the original United Artists issues.The situation regarding Gord's Gold Volume II is also interesting. The original vinyl was a single disc affair containing just 16 tracks; of which only "Make Way (For The Lady)" on side 1 and "Baby Step Back" on side 2 are the originals the other 14 tracks being April/May/June 1988 rerecordings and one track ("If It Should Please You") was previously unissued.I surmise that when this was digitised for reissue as a CD someone must have realised that it was rather poor value compared to GG as the CD added two more original recordings namely "Ghosts of Cape Horn" and "It's Worth Believin"
Hence the CD has 18 tracks as you have been offerred
------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 05, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Another interesting question Matthew which led me to look at my original Gord's Gold vinyl albums again to recompare to their CD successors.
In particular the original Gord's Gold was indeed a double vinyl album containing 22 tracks (10 on disc 1 12 on disc 2) whereas the CD that is now out of print has only 21 tracks due as the insert smugly states "the track "Affair on 8th Avenue" which appears on the double album and cassette has been omitted so as to facilitate a single specially-priced compact disc". So that's allright then however that disc according to my CD player has a total running time of only 72 minutes 3 seconds. This was obviously long before ways were found to squeeze in rather more since for example all 4 discs in the Songbook box set run around 74 minutes and of course the current "standard" CD-R is 80 minutes. Perhaps Warner/Reprise should reissue Gord's Gold with the full set of tracks. How about it Thane???
Actually the subject of CD and CD-R running times is quite complex involving "lead-in" tracks and error correction provision
The same applies to the new Recordable DVD disks and SACD (Super Audio CD) standards.
Some of you may well be asking what is SACD ??
for details see:- http://www.audiouk.com/sacd.htm or http://sacd.no/
It seems that most if not all Bob Dylan albums have been remastered and issued in "Hybrid CD" format have a look at:- http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:grCpQhDBPVMJ:www.bobdylan. com/remasters/+bob+dylan+sacd&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Going back to the topic.
For the record, as it were, all Gord's Gold disc 1's 10 tracks were in fact newly recorded versions of the original United Artists issues.The situation regarding Gord's Gold Volume II is also interesting. The original vinyl was a single disc affair containing just 16 tracks; of which only "Make Way (For The Lady)" on side 1 and "Baby Step Back" on side 2 are the originals the other 14 tracks being April/May/June 1988 rerecordings and one track ("If It Should Please You") was previously unissued.I surmise that when this was digitised for reissue as a CD someone must have realised that it was rather poor value compared to GG as the CD added two more original recordings namely "Ghosts of Cape Horn" and "It's Worth Believin"
Hence the CD has 18 tracks as you have been offerred
------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 05, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
hfan

The additional two songs "Worth Believin'" and "Ghosts of Cape Horn" were not added just for the CD. When the album was first released, I bought the Cassette. On my cassette the two songs are there, with a note on the cover which says, "includes two bonus tracks." Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:15 PM   #7
hfan

The additional two songs "Worth Believin'" and "Ghosts of Cape Horn" were not added just for the CD. When the album was first released, I bought the Cassette. On my cassette the two songs are there, with a note on the cover which says, "includes two bonus tracks." Just thought you'd like to know.