banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
RM

Default What Lightfoot tune fits ?

I ran across a list of the top 100 movie lines of all time. What Lightfoot tune might mesh ?

For example, #1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." might go well with For Lovin' Me. That sort of thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------
1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

2 "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."

3 "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

4 "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

5 "Here's looking at you, kid."

6 "Go ahead, make my day."

8 "May the Force be with you."

9 "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

10 "You talkin' to me?"

11 "What we've got here is failure to communicate."

Last edited by RM; 02-17-2009 at 06:31 PM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #2
geodeticman.5

Default Re: What Lightfoot tune fits ?

[QUOTE=RM;148696]I ran across a list of the top 100 movie lines of all time. What Lightfoot tune might mesh ?

For example, #1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." might go well with For Lovin' Me. That sort of thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Ron, My first crack at this GREAT new puzzles, etc. 'game?' idea, may be a little sketchy at first, until my analogue or metaphor to the songs is in keeping with your intention of the 'connection', so I'll give 'er a try with:

#9.)Given Movie: "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Analogous GL song submit: 'Baby Step Back' in keeping with the potential hazards of driving a car....

Lyrics within submitted song that corrolate - as opposed to the name of song, right ?: I've seen a few but whatever I do, I don't cause no accidents

#9.) Other possibilites:
Song: Steel Rail Blues
Lyrics that gave reason for me to pick the song versus Name:
My good old car she done broke down
'Cause I drove it into the ground

Am I on the right 'road' with my thinking ? Or is the Song's name what I need to be analogous with ? I get a feeling you mean - the overall nature of the GL song/&occurences within the lyrics broadly speaking - with maybe the overall nature of the film/&occurences' broadly speaking ?

I get the connection on your example, which makes me think my last thoughts given in the above paragraph are more the idea. waddya think Hoss ? Go ahead and be frank - I think I'm off target a bit. Good new thread, Ron- Ilike the idea . I even thought, first actually, TWOTEF - not a car - but a he77 of a 'bumpy night'. Is THAT more the idea you've in mind ?

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-15-2009 at 04:56 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #3
geodeticman.5

Default Re: Whay Lightfoot tune fits ?

In comparison to my first two attempts above, is the following closer to what you have in mind ? :

With my ending thoughts above more in mind - the overall intent of the song - with the ...intent not of the whole movie - but of the dialogue extract, broadly speaking - I think.. I am honing in on your target. ?? How 'bout this:

Given movie dialogue extract:

#11.) "What we've got here is failure to communicate."

and in keeping with that dialogue extract:
My submitted song:
IYCRMM

Lyrics close to the intent example:
'And if you read between the lines you'll know that I'm just trying to understand'

Hmm - IYCRMM seemed overall strongly in the nature of the given dialogie, but any one line unto itself does not work. But the whole song is based IMO on a failure to communicate in retrospect in IYCRMM.

Waddya think on that angle ?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
formerlylavender

For #5, "Here's looking at you, kid" - As Fine As Fine Can Be.
For #11 "What we have here is failure to communicate" - Now and Then or Talking In Your Sleep.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
jj

1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." A Lesson In Love,

2 "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." It's Too Late, He Wins

3 "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." Broken Dreams,

4 "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Dreamland

5 "Here's looking at you, kid." Drink Yer Glasses Empty,

6 "Go ahead, make my day." Lifeline,

8 "May the Force be with you." Long Way Back Home

9 "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." End Of All Time,

10 "You talkin' to me?" I Want To Hear It From You,

11 "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Boss Man

great fun, rm...thanks, you complete me...
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Yuri

JJ - I think you nailed them!!
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Am I on the right 'road' with my thinking ?
Since there are no "wrong" roads, you must be. Originally I was thinking in terms of the 'sentiment' of the words, unconnected to the movie, and what Lightfoot tune sort of conveys that feeling.

Here's another : "may the Force be with you" might mesh with the lyrics of All The Lovely Ladies.

It's whatever one wishes to make of it. No rules (although I did consider utilizing the comma rule)
Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Since there are no "wrong" roads, you must be. Originally I was thinking in terms of the 'sentiment' of the words, unconnected to the movie, and what Lightfoot tune sort of conveys that feeling.

Here's another : "may the Force be with you" might mesh with the lyrics of All The Lovely Ladies.

It's whatever one wishes to make of it. No rules (although I did consider utilizing the comma rule)
- I get that connection - and believe YOU nailed it well too. Well - it was YOUR idea lol......

Thanks Ron - I agree with Yuri - I believe jj nailed -'em. Interesting on one note of all Lightfoot's body of work to draw from to think of I find it interesting that jj's shot at this one:

9 "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." End Of All Time, - well, THAT song was my first thought - quite a co-inkindink with jj's thought, but I did not have my 'road legs yet' - until I saw you 'no answer is the wrong one.
So Ron - do you see my connnection in my latter submission - do you find it sympatico with your intent as expressed in quote box above ?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
So Ron - do you see my connnection in my latter submission - do you find it sympatico with your intent as expressed in quote box above ?
Absolutely. IYCRMM fits perfectly....as do jj's and formerlylavender's thoughts. Again, nothing is right or wrong. It's interesting how people see the same thing in different ways.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
geodeticman.5

Ronster: I posted a hyperlink 'copy shortcut' arcane-style at the bottom of the last in-order reply to the 4posts on the new list-o-ten thus far in Lyrics Quizzers - yours - on ....earth ....- to draw game users, and even more likely considering the 13,000 'views' in lyrics - they'll see your 'game?' you have here, in one other venue-level - just trying to help lurk/browse random viewers - and any players in Lyrics Quizzers into this session of yours. Ever since since I have tag'd 'my' game , visible as you know out at the thread name level under gen disc., it has pulled in c3,000 or so MORE 'viewers' of unknown type from the 'net. I don't know whatgood it is doing, but by virtue of thetags (5 max)/thread - we can hopefully cull down to Lightfoot only. Broaden Lightfoot awareness anyhow.

To that end - I Think I tagged it (it re-orders your order in alpha-order) with, uhm, oh crap I can't remember -uhm - "Lightfoot,lyrics,game,folk-legend, geodeticman" but hopefully enough draw-in from the web in general into our corfid - and like I said - 3000 more in a matter of days ! we could really be pulling folkies in more aggressively if we wanted - but does Florian want to is the question. Lightheads find us, as it has been said, true, but IMO there is a large amount of Folk-fluent ppl but either not Lightfoot-fluent(unbelievable but true) even folk-fluent but not internet fluent out there. Maybe even fill a few more seats at concerts, who knows. Can't hurt, unless we get flooded with spammers - which Char scans for everyday - I oughta ask her if she's had an increase in spammers since I flagged quizzers and views shot up like a rocket. hmmm

I am 'geodeticman' in so many other things - MySpace => Grown-up Face-book soon for me, despite horror-stories, other forums I belong to a all kinds, and by uniformly naming myself geodeticman in all of them, it coud draw some users into our thread a little by that, too - from some major large , cerebral bega-blogs, and numerous pwd -entry arenas in math, music, lyrics-only forums,etc, we could snag many more hopefully GL ppl.

.....Man I wish we had a unix-style 'system out' function in Windows to at least a browse level, once you're used to that functionality, it seems archaic in windows vista to have to finish your post, like now, in order to 'peek' out say. at the gen disc list ( I know I know I cam simply open a new window, but the open window sequence for me has new Vista 'Tab' functionality - went to the max with 8 tabs to boot to home in each new window opened

I find them (tabs) more convenient than seperate 'Windows' themselves !!', and it would be much easier if Windows had what we called 'system-out' 2-key sequences with command &return to return to your 'sessions' - not quite a window -on 'Power-User Unix 'Pizza-Boxes' pseudo-dumb terminals, but not quite (for $17,000/terminal &UP BASED ON CRT-SIZE -"Power-StationS" made it seem like you're getting more for that money than WHAT WAS REALLY A MODIFIED TERMINAL-EMULATION semi-dumb terminal - but you GOT A T-SHIRT! - HEY SUCH A DEAL ! -SHIRTS WERE EMBLAZONED WITH 'POWER-USER' LOL - YOU WORE THAT AND PEOPLE THOUGHT IT MEANT POWERFUL STREET DRUGS-ALL BECAUSE OF THE TERM 'USER' AND ITS NEGATIVE 'SMELL-A-SKUNK' CONNOTATIONS IN HIPPY-WORLD BOULDER,COLORADO.lol....

They were just CRT's dumb-terminal emulators, intrinsically inefficient, due to limited through-put of emulation by definition, only difference was a sex'ed up box to hold up the giant 50lb + CRT's with local memory to try to simulate fast thru-put only when entering a keyboard action, all your work was held in local memory thus far in the 'pizza box' cache memory, all in a slim box (eg Pizza Box') under a giant 30" CRT TUBE display - for mapping/survey abstract/carto views in GIS work, back when such an epic CRT TUBE COST c $13,000 MORE -IT WAS AN UPGRADE FROM THE 'INCLUDED' 15" 'SHYEAA' CRT!! -LOL YOU CAN BY AN ENTIRE Small Server for that $ now !

OK - well I hope the link to this 'game' from lyrics helps build user-awareness 4 U ! Hope it helps.

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 02-16-2009 at 03:47 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
geodeticman.5

Ron - I like this thing. How Bout you post 11 or 9 more ? I enjoy it. Nice diversion. See, I don't get to "play" the lyrics game, I get to enjoy lyrics by both commenting on the answers, and having blabbert-mouth in general. But that is going to be ported by very archaic methods into the Corfid.cafe in small talk. So I won't be inclined to blabbert in lyrics, to keep visual and other game continuity easier, and the blabberty in corfid.cafe is catch a person if you can, or just regular old posting, which is cool. But I would definately enjoy noreof this... I'd get a kick out of more of that list of 100. What do you all think ? Ron ? No harm in postin' ?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
jj

7) "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up"...Baby Step Back?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
RM

I had left that one out on purpose. It seemed too specific. "Baby Step Back" works fine.........I think.........
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
imported_Next_Saturday

1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. -- Too Much to Lose
Old 02-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
jj

Quote:
I had left that one out on purpose. It seemed too specific. "Baby Step Back" works fine.........I think.........
the last 5 seconds of the film is what prompted that response:
YouTube - "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

can't believe nothing from Harry Tracey made the cut, lol

if you go to youtube and check out the lines in their actual context (which i just did), there are far more appropriate responses to be had...there's a lot of life left in this one, rm
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
the last 5 seconds of the film is what prompted that response:

can't believe nothing from Harry Tracey made the cut, lol

if you go to youtube and check out the lines in their actual context (which i just did), there are far more appropriate responses to be had...there's a lot of life left in this one, rm
Gotcha....goodness, you're clever. "Baby Step Back" is now in the 'perfect' category.

More appropriate responses ? "Set 'em loose and let 'em roll"

A lot of life left ? You mean the boat is still afloat ? Thanks for the good news.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #17
4LaneStudios

1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." -- That's What You Get For Loving Me
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
jj

Quote:
You mean the boat is still afloat ?
absolutely, but spring thaw, be on the lookout for icebergs

as geosteve suggested, might as well add the next batch

how about Bette Called Me In(Out?)
Old 02-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #19
RM

Next batch : Good luck.....

12 "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

13 "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

14 "The stuff that dreams are made of."

15 "E.T. phone home."

16 "They call me Mister Tibbs!"

17 "Rosebud."

18 "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

19 "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

20 "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

21 "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."
Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
formerlylavender

#13 - "Love means never having to say you're sorry" - Thank You For the Promises
#14 - "The stuff that dreams are made of" - The Pony Man

BTW, I wouldn't touch #21 with a 10-foot pole!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #21
Nightingale

#12 I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Race Among The Ruins.

#13 Love means never having to say you're sorry. In My Fashion

#14 The stuff that dreams are made of. Affair on Eighth Avenue

#15 E.T. Phone Home. Is There Anyone At Home
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #22
Nightingale

#16 They call me Mr. Tibbs! Baby Step Back

#17 Rosebud Tattoo

#19 I'm mad as hell, and I am not going to take this anymore! The Circle is Small

I will have to think a little more about the remaining ones.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #23
RM

formerlylavender, Nightingale,

Those are excellent ! You folks are obviously far deeper thinkers than I.

Maybe jj can come up with something for #21.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
jj

i agree, rm...great job, gals...those are toughies

you know, i can't believe many of these are All Time greats...what I'd like to know is what are the top lines that have become so commonplace that folks use slip them into everyday dialogue...like" I'm Baaack" or my fave, "I'm melting!"

Last edited by jj; 02-21-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #25
jj

ok, hope I don't sink your battleship, rm

12 "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" Morning Glory

13 "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Apology

14 "The stuff that dreams are made of." All I'm After

15 "E.T. phone home." Back Here on Earth

16 "They call me Mister Tibbs!" Too Many Clues in This Room

17 "Rosebud." That Same Old Obsession

18 "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" Always on the Bright Side

19 "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Cold Hands from New York

20 "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Crossroads

21 "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." I'd Do It Again

two of these films I've never seen, another I slept through