banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
seafarer62

Is anyone else a little surprised that Gord is not performing more songs from "Harmony" in concert? From my memory, the most recent album usually had 3 or 4 songs performed.

Also a little surprised that there hasn't been more song rotation in general since Gord's return from his illness. I imagine that he has about 40 songs that he is ready to do and that he will do about 25-28/concert.

Anyway, my wife and I will be attending Sept. 15-16 in Harris, MI and my son and I will be going to Minneapolis, MN on Sept. 17. If I can get a ticket, I plan to go to Wausau on Sept. 19. I need to check but I think these will be concerts #31 - # 34 for me. Never get tired or lose the thrill of the first concert way back in 1979.

I will be posting set lists and concert reviews as soon as humanly possible when I get back home to my computer.

Thanks to all for the set lists. They are the glue that really makes me feel like I was there.

John/ Forest Lake, MN
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:18 AM   #2
joveski

i find that weird too. there's usually been 1 or 2 songs from the album in his current sets
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Jesse Joe

Yes Seafarer62, I am surprised to hear that there is not enough songs from Harmony. But I always said that his best work was in the early days. Early Lightfoot, pretty hard to beat.

Take an Album like East Of Midnight, over produced. But I heard a few songs done in concert, and they sound just great.

I got a recording, of the songs, East Of Midnight, and TWOTEF, small arrangement. Only him and Terry on guitars, sounds fantastic...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
swede

When I met Gord after one of his Massey concerts a year ago May, I said I thought that Harmony was a great CD and wished he would do more songs from it in concert. His reply was along the lines of he can only fit in so many songs at a concert. I do wish, however, he would substitute more Harmony songs for some of the older material.
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I'm not sure if it's technically a majority but a large part of the audience, in my experience lately, seems to be waiting for the "hits". If that is the case he needs to keep them happy. Most of the "singers" in the audience don't seem too schooled on much recorded in the last 25 years.
I'm not, by any means, being elitist. He makes his living from those folks as well as us. If he didn't satisfy them he'd be up the creek in his canary yellow canoe. They tell their friends and so on.

It'd be great if all the concert-goers were hardcore fanatics but I just don't think so.

"I went to a Garden Party..."

Bill

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

[ August 09, 2006, 10:11: Message edited by: BILLW ]
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
"I went to a Garden Party..."

Bill

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same
A great quote Bill
from the 1972 hit song of the same name by the late great Rick(y) Nelson, no not Willie's son.
But one of my early 1950's favo(u)rites along with Buddy Holly and the Everlys
I recorded a great PBS documentary on Ricky
last year and his sons revealed that, if I remember correctly Ricky wrote that song "Garden Party" after a Madison Square Gardens concert
primarily to express his dismay that his fans were ignoring his later and then current work(with his Stone Canyon Band) in favour of his long list of hits.
Indeed I have just read on:-
http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=159
"One of the biggest hits of his career, "Garden Party," pointedly rejected the notion that he would allow himself to be relegated to a nostalgia act"
So yes Jesse-Joe though I too share your taste for 1960's nostalgia you have to understand how Gord feels (rather like Ricky)
John Fowles
Now here is a challenging thought had he not ate and drugged himself to death I wonder what Elvis's later works would have been like?
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Yes John, I often think about just that. What would have Elvis, done at 67 years of age.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
charlene

Elvis would have been 71 on Jan.8.
He was born in 1935.
And Ronnie Hawkins was born two days after Elvis in Arkansas.
Not sure what Elvis would have sung had he stuck around....maybe a new Lightfoot tune or two...there's some he could have pulled off...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Elvis doing Flyin Blind, "Jessi-Jo says you had better not go...Thank-you very much." :D

[ August 09, 2006, 15:27: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]