banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Madeleine

Is GL still separated from his second wife or have they divorced? I hope they were able to work it out.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Jesse Joe

"Gordon has six children ages 13 years and older. He's been married twice and engaged twice. He's currently single, but five of his children live in Toronto (one of his son's lives in Los Angeles), so family is always close by."

{This was published May 10th, 2007 in the Moncton Times & Transcript.}

posted 05-10-2007 06:09 AM

[ May 24, 2007, 16:10: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe. ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Madeleine

Hey, Jesse Joe - Thx for the info. GL's path and mine crossed 30 years ago for a couple of years, then we lost touch. I knew him during his wild period and he seemed so unhappy! Hadn't heard about the four other kids and the other wife and separation and health problems until last week. Found lots of info on the net and was "flabbergasted" to learn about the four more kids and health problems, but I couldn't find out whether he worked it out with his second wife. I don't think any woman will ever be able to compete with his real mistress, which is his music. He's truly a unique talent but has paid for it personally. Glad to hear he's beaten the "grim reaper" and made 68 the new 48! Have a great weekend. Sheryl
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse-Joe.:
"Gordon has six children ages 13 years and older. He's been married twice and engaged twice. He's currently single, but five of his children live in Toronto (one of his son's lives in Los Angeles), so family is always close by."

{This was published May 10th, 2007 in the Moncton Times & Transcript.} For the full interview click the link...

posted 05-10-2007 06:09 AM

http://www.canadaeast.com/ce2/docroo...ticleID=140930
Jesse-Joe,

Is there anywhere else to read this article? When I clicked on the link, there is a short portion of the article, and then it said to login, as it was only available to subscribers to the paper. Just wondering.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
charlene

http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=004563#000002

article/interview can be read here
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Madeleine

Louise, thanks for asking about how you can read the entire article, and Charlene, thanks for the extra info regarding how to access the entire article! I could only read a little portion of it, too, and was going to try to figure it out tonight after work.

To me, it is a phenonmenon what effect this man and his music has had over so many people's lives. To me, he was an enigma I never quite understood, but I was SO NAIVE then, too! I was never quite able to "wrap my head" around the fact that this man I had met was so popular and talented and "everybody wanted a piece of him". (I've even kept notes girls handed me to give him backstage, but he didn't want to read them.) I do feel honored for him to have asked me to "hang out" with him a couple of times. I'm sure he's long, long ago forgotten me because I know I was one of probably HUNDREDS but I'll sure never forget the experiences I had! It seems like yesterday (until I look in the mirror and remember what the date is now)! Barry and Pee Wee were always so kind to me as well. Since last week, when I've been trying to catch up on what's happened to him in the 30 years in between since I last saw him and now, he seems to take as much delight in his kids and grandkids as in his music, which is great because he wasn't the happiest person in the world in the late 70's!

Sure glad I found this forum - thx again!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

Thanks Char I was out mowing the lawn. Once again lawn season...
Old 05-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/ultimatebb...=004563#000002

article/interview can be read here
Charlene,

Thanks much!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by skpade012977:
Louise, thanks for asking about how you can read the entire article, and Charlene, thanks for the extra info regarding how to access the entire article! I could only read a little portion of it, too, and was going to try to figure it out tonight after work.

.....Since last week, when I've been trying to catch up on what's happened to him in the 30 years in between since I last saw him and now, he seems to take as much delight in his kids and grandkids as in his music, which is great because he wasn't the happiest person in the world in the late 70's!

Sure glad I found this forum - thx again!
Sheryl,

Yes, he seems to have mellowed and become a person very much at peace with himself, and happy with life. Am so pleased for him. What a long and interesting life he has had. He seems so close to most of his children and grandchildren, and very proud of his son that is the drummer in the band, and is learning to be a piolet. It's may be wierd, by he is the only performer that I pray for everyday, just like our own family members. He seems like so much a part of our family, as we have shared his music, identified with it, and gone to hear him perform for over 30 years now. (My old GL scrapbooks, I treat like sacred books)
Old 05-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Irish

I wonder if he would have had all those beautiful, wistful songs in him, if he hadn't had to endure the heartbreak. Those are the songs that seem the most honest.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
Madeleine

Hey, Irish! I think that's very true about the heartbreak stuff. I was so lucky - I was the ugly duckling in high school who didn't even get asked to the prom, and here eight years later, I had Gordon Lightfoot singing "Beautiful" just to me (with a V.P. from Warner Brothers Records in his suite) a very long time ago - it sure made up for not being asked to the prom! However, since I'm the daughter of a navigator, I tend to lean more toward listening to his songs about sailing. I'm also a hiker, so I like the environmental ones, too, and I'm a history major who has railroad men on both sides of her family, so "Canadian Railway Trilogy" never fails to get to me!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Irish

That's pretty cool. Yeah, I would imagine being serenaded with that song would make up for a lot! As fans, we're so lucky to have a chronology of an artist's life from age 27 to 69 and all the ups and downs in between. You can see the evolution over the years. It's fascinating! It's like reading someone's personal journal (or better yet, having them read it to you!)
Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #13
Dream Street Rose

Hi Irish,

Just wanted to let you know that Gordon is only 68.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
Madeleine

Irish, that's so true he has a gift of expressing in an incredible way what we all go through, what we can all relate to. Also, I think his music will live on because of the WAY he writes: the words he uses, the syntax, are unique, they're from another era. Also, he puts in "surprises" in his music - he will stop when you don't think he will, or go into another rhythm or pitch. My favorite photo of him is when he's looking down at his strumming hand - it's like he's "listening" to something no one else can hear. Also, he just LOVES to play his guitar. He will pick up the guitar and just start playing and sometimes the guys will join in. (I still have a broken "G" string Terry Clements gave me as a joke that broke during one of these sessions.) That's what I found fascinating. It's not his job or his career; it's a TOTAL PASSION, which I think also comes through and why he has so many followers. (Don't get me wrong - he can be as "human" as you or me, too -- he has a wicked, sharp tongue. You don't want to anger him. Hopefully, now he's off the Myers Rum, his temper is better.) I read something on a net site that he has a house in Arizona? He doesn't seem like an Arizona person to me but if he does have a house there, I hope he "does" the Grand Canyon - I was a whitewater rafter and it doesn't get any better than that.

You know what's REALLY FUNNY, I'll be shopping at the supermarket and one of his songs will come on the MUZAK and it just seems so ironic to me. HA - I KNEW that person!

Anyway, I'm so glad you took the time to write, and read this. It was fun sharing a special moment in my life because believe me, it's not something you can just tell anybody about or they'll think you're just a slut or a groupie! Well, back to the 21st century and earning a living! Sheryl (By the way, I'm from Sacramento, California. I went out with another Canadian from Walkerton, Ontario in the early 1980's and almost married him. Are you Canadian or American? Doesn't really matter. Just curious. Americans treat GL a little differently, I think. He really seems to be the "Voice of Canada".)
Old 05-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Irish

Oops
Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
Irish

Hi Sheryl,

I'm Canadian - from the East Coast. Thanks for sharing your memories. Yeah, he's pretty much an institution up here! My Dad often played his records, and that's where I picked up an appreciation for his music. Just about every high school English student in this country studies "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" as a narrative poem.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #17
Dream Street Rose

Irish,

It's okay, we all make mistakes. Even Gordon!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #18
Madeleine

TO IRISH AND DREAM STREET ROSE:

WOW! An icon. By the way, it sounds so trite but I love Canada. I've been in every province except NWT and the Yukon (yup, I've even been to Newfoundland, in about 1959). My favorite I think is Alberta/Lake Louise - love hiking there. As a City, I think Toronto is so cool! Very safe, compared to some of our cities. A big city with a small city feel (at least when I was there last.)

And to Dream Street Rose, You're right - "I'm much too young to feel this damn old."
Old 05-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #19
louisemnnpls

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skpade012977:
Irish, ...... My favorite photo of him is when he's looking down at his strumming hand - it's like he's "listening" to something no one else can hear.

Another endearing trait he has is when he turns his head to the right, when he's playing. He used to do it more in the old days. It's just a Gord thing.

Also, re: Gord on MUSAK. I just stop in my tracks and listen. Or, pretend I'm looking at something, so I have an excuse to hear the whole song.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
Madeleine

Well, this last week has been quite an education, and I'm really glad I found you all to really bring me up to date. I hope one of you got to go to one of his recent Atlantic Canadian concerts, which I guess he was supposed to do in 2002, when he almost bled out (my Dad died that year). If you did get to go, or when you go to another concert, please post it!

As for why I was lucky enough to become what he called his "Northern California friend," it wasn't my sparkling repartee. I think I found out in 1982. I saw Cathy Evelyn Smith on tv after her arrest because she gave John Belushi the speedball that killed him, and I could have been her twin! I guess GL really had a tempestuous relationship with her. I think he was living with his "other Cathy" - Cathy Coonley -- at the time. I told him I was going to be in Ontario and we could meet at the Harbour Castle. He told me, "But Toronto's where I LIVE." (I didn't know what that meant until now, after you all have told me how famous he is up there.) He did stand me up and I got mad and wrote him a really scathing note. About three months later, he called me at my apartment here to ask me backstage to a concert he would be doing at the San Francisco Opera House. Unfortunately, I was at the gym working out and my mother answered the phone and really chewed him out! I bet he LAUGHED! By that time, I was in a relationship and then he didn't have any more hits down here in the U.S., so I just figured he had retired and married Cathy Coonley (who he told me just followed him onto his plane in Florida and moved in with him! I guess she's the mother of Eric.)

So Barry Keene's not his drummer any more?

It's been fun getting reacquainted with his music again. I'm glad I found this website and was able, after 30 years, to finally share this very ironic adventure I had! God does have a sense of humor! I'm just a legal assistant who'd better get back to work! Thanks and best wishes, Sheryl
Old 05-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #21
Jesse Joe

Hey Sheryl,

Barry Keane is still the drummer, Terry Clements {Guitar}, Mike Heffernan {Keyboard}, Rick Haynes {Bass}... Pee Wee Charles is no longer in the Lightfoot Band
Old 05-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
Madeleine

So his son, Eric, is not Gord's drummer, but a drummer? I'm so glad Barry's still with him. He was one of the nicest "gentle men" I've met. Pee Wee was very much like Barry, only quieter. Hope he left with good feelings all the way around.

You gave me a great day, reminiscing about days gone by! Thanks. Hope nothing I typed mistakenly got into one of my legal briefs! That would make for an interesting day in Court.

I read that Gord bought a house in Arizona?!? He just doesn't seem Arizona material to me, unless it's up near Flagstaff or "The Canyon." If it is true, I sure hope he whitewater rafts down the Canyon - I've done it twice, and hiked it twice, and it is one of those very special places on the face of the earth; the water doesn't get much better - course, I didn't do a 500-mile canoe trip like Gord did, either...

Bottom line, Canadians have great taste when it comes to choosing their "icons." Gord IS not only a huge talent but a very special person. For me, it was like what they said in "The Big Chill": "Watch out what you pray for, little girl, because you might just get it." He can make you feel like the most important person in the world, and a simple flirtation seem much more than what it really is!

Now, I think I'll listen to some albums - I like to hear how he changed the arrangements, adding some instruments, subtracting others. (And I'm glad he edited out Cathy Smith's backups!

Enjoy the Summer! Sheryl
Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #23
charlene

I can't recall every reading or hearing about him owning a home/property anywhere other than his home in Toronto.
It seems he's pretty much a homebody when he's not out on tour and doesn't take trips for vacations etc..
Old 05-24-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
I can't recall every reading or hearing about him owning a home/property anywhere other than his home in Toronto.
It seems he's pretty much a homebody when he's not out on tour and doesn't take trips for vacations etc..
Char,
Way back, way, way back, did Gord have a home in Florida? It would have to have been in the 70's or 80's, and I remember him in an interview on public radio. I thought that he said he liked to spend time there, but I don't remember it well, and didn't have the interview recorded.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:31 AM   #25
charlene

I don't remember anything about any homes at any time, anywhere other than in Toronto.

He travels to tour and then likes to be home - way back when he'd come home to write and record..now he comes home to rehearse and be near family and his club.