banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #26
charlene

Default Re: A New Day - "Classic Rock Meets New Age"

No aplogies from you are necessary Yuri. Franco is a mean little pissant and he's gone.
good riddance to his cruel nastiness.

char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #27
Dream Street Rose

Yea Char,

I agree with you and thank you for making him go bye-bye.

DSR
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #28
John Lister

Franco, may I leave you with this.....may God bless you and give you peace, I harbor no ill feelings towards you, what was done was done, and I wish you well. I would shake your hand but I can't reach Ottawa from here. Peace, bro!

(and Yuri, my friend, you have nothing to apologize about, I thank you for introducing my music to this warm group of music appreciators)

Last edited by John Lister; 03-18-2008 at 10:08 PM.
John Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #29
charlene

John - you embody what is good about the people who post here..we are all good folks, we're fair and kind and generous and protect our own..Franco is welcome back here if he can reign his ego in and play nice.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #30
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco View Post
Better still, please delete my account, it's clear I don't belong here. Sorry for the inconvenience and best regards to all...........peace!
What about this?
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #31
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunklander View Post
Well...do you even like Gordon Lightfoot? If you do, you belong. Too bad you went over the line with your 'critique'...accusations and assumptions, etc. but oh well. Hey - I don't even care for some things I've posted on Corfid (what was I thinking? Was I in a bad mood?)-but I'll feel bad, own up etc., because ultimately, I want to be here because I'm a fan of Lightfoot's music . And I want to be here more because of the wonderful people here.

And this? (Read this again)
Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #32
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by franco View Post
You are an extremely gracious man and I am greatful for your words but this may have gone way too far to save. I am loathe to admit that I can become too tenacious when I am convinced of my position. I regret offending anyone, especially John, however I feel he was overstating his qualifications. That said, in the big scheme of thing what does it really matter.

In any event I've caused trouble, I see that, and will suck it up. Best I resign and bugger off..."like a ghost in a wishing well"

Read this again too.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
Patti

Thought this was important to put onto the second page also.
How about another chance for franco?
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #34
Patti

www.johnlister.ca/anewday

Exquisitely beautiful.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #35
John Lister

And now I can do what I wanted to do from the start...

Quote:
melodically hypnotizing loving this much. Thanks for posting this Yuri!
Thank you for your kind comments, and for recognizing the purpose of this track, to simply BE melodically hypnotizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Very beautiful, a great talent John is. Thanks Yuri !
Thank you Jesse Joe!

BillW: Thank you for seeing the balance in all of this, and I have not 'let the bastards get me down', I've come out a little better prepared for future criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
John,
I was here last night and listened to it and I thought it was very beautiful.
I am not one that enjoys new age music that much and I thought your music went way beyond what I expected...Best of luck and keep smiling....
Yuri, thanks for posting the video...
Nightingale, I appreciate your comments very much as well! Thank you!

Quote:
John is talented and skilled (my EDUCATED, biased and unbiased opinion).
Podunklander, I also appreciate all of what you said too, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
I really enjoyed that song, John. It's good. I'm glad I got to listen to it before you took it down. "Don't let the bastards bring you down" - I like that song too.
Patti, thank you too, everyone on here seem so warm and kind-hearted. I hope I can stick around without it reminding everyone of the recent battling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Just to be clear: I was not calling you a bastard but I am calling you a jackass, Jackass !
Bill
Bill, that literally had me laughing out loud! I needed it by that point in time!

Quote:
I want to be here because I'm a fan of Lightfoot's music . And I want to be here more because of the wonderful people here.
And that's my distinct impression - that the people here are wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Yuri was kind enough to want to share a friends' music and we appreciate it for what it is.
Charlene, thank you for that - the purpose of the video was simply to share the music.

Yuri, again I wish to thank you for introducing me to this wonderful group of music appreciators.

I regret that my being here has caused such trouble, but I realize it was not me instigating anything, I just felt I had to speak up, and that is now history, so I'd simply like to put it behind me and get to know some of you a little better.

I grew up listening to GL, I'm 55 and heard GL tunes on the radio quite a bit when I was a teen. The songs made a lasting impact on me.

One last comment, WOW, is it ever tricky to do multiple quotes in a message! LOL

Last edited by John Lister; 03-19-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #36
podunklander

yeah - how did yo do that John? 1st time I've ever seen someone post multiple quotes like that.

And you're welcome and thank you too. Sorry that Franco posted all those negative things. Hope you don't take any of that too personally. Hey - he called me an extremely gracious man (or something to that effect). Something I don't hear everyday (I'm a girl). So much for his assumptions, eh? (ooops! Can I say "eh" hehe).
Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #37
John Lister

I don't feel so bad, at least franco didn't call me the opposite gender! LOL

You use 'eh?' just like the best Canadian. . .. eh?

Criticisms about a piece of music are to be expected. Being told I am clearly not, this or that, and accused of making fake claims of credentials is quite another thing. It was actually a good lesson for me to learn how to handle criticism better. Plus I got to meet all of you fine people!

I think Yuri felt bad over all of this, but it was certainly none of his fault that this guy appeared to harass me.

As for multiple quoting, I opened the same window in 2 browsers, the one I used to compose my response, and the other to quote each person, then copy and paste it into the response window. I had seen it done on another forum and felt this was the time and place to try it for myself!

Thanks again for being so understanding, you are a very gracious girl! (whew, I got that right!)

With a name like Podunklander, anything is possible!

John
Old 03-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #38
Jesse Joe

Welcome to Corfid John, your among friends here. That video Yuri posted was really great. Hope to get to see and hear it again.

What BillW posted also made me laugh out loud... Funny guy that BillW...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #39
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lister View Post
I don't feel so bad, at least franco didn't call me the opposite gender! LOL

You use 'eh?' just like the best Canadian. . .. eh?

Criticisms about a piece of music are to be expected. Being told I am clearly not, this or that, and accused of making fake claims of credentials is quite another thing. It was actually a good lesson for me to learn how to handle criticism better. Plus I got to meet all of you fine people!

I think Yuri felt bad over all of this, but it was certainly none of his fault that this guy appeared to harass me.

As for multiple quoting, I opened the same window in 2 browsers, the one I used to compose my response, and the other to quote each person, then copy and paste it into the response window. I had seen it done on another forum and felt this was the time and place to try it for myself!

Thanks again for being so understanding, you are a very gracious girl! (whew, I got that right!)

With a name like Podunklander, anything is possible!

John
Was going to be Podunklanderella so there'd be no mistaken my gendah (Bostonian accent...'tis the season ). I bettah watch my 'eh's' though so I'm not mistaken for a Jays fan (eh?). Oh well, if I let one slip be it known as a tribute to my Canadian relatives near and far.

Pam
Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #40
John Lister

Quote:
Was going to be Podunklanderella so there'd be no mistaken my gendah (Bostonian accent...'tis the season ). I bettah watch my 'eh's' though so I'm not mistaken for a Jays fan (eh?). Oh well, if I let one slip be it known as a tribute to my Canadian relatives near and far.

Pam
Hey Pam,

Pudunklanerella is a lot longer than Pam, but has a certain ring to it. Up here in the cold north, we'll be seeing the grass turn green in the next four weeks, then it'll be time for me to dig out my 'sneakahs'. (my attempt at Bostonian accent) I think that's the correct term you use, we call them running shoes, even though nobody really runs in them.

Hey, I have an ex-piano that hailed from Boston from the 1880s but it lives in my ex's house. So I have at least a little connection!

And Jessie Joe, thank you for the welcome! I am looking into upgrading a music website membership so that I can post a video, if that happens I'll be able to link it again. I won't put it on YouTube, too many jerks on there criticizing what they don't understand.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #41
podunklander

Quote:
Hey Pam,

Pudunklanerella is a lot longer than Pam, but has a certain ring to it. Up here in the cold north, we'll be seeing the grass turn green in the next four weeks, then it'll be time for me to dig out my 'sneakahs'. (my attempt at Bostonian accent) I think that's the correct term you use, we call them running shoes, even though nobody really runs in them.

Hey, I have an ex-piano that hailed from Boston from the 1880s but it lives in my ex's house. So I have at least a little connection!

And Jessie Joe, thank you for the welcome! I am looking into upgrading a music website membership so that I can post a video, if that happens I'll be able to link it again. I won't put it on YouTube, too many jerks on there criticizing what they don't understand.
A piano? Boston? hmmmmmmm
Old 03-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #42
John Lister

I know, Boston is like the piano capital of the universe. Perhaps other universes too!

Here's the piano, it's a Hallett & Cumston, but I no longer own it. It weighs about 1000 lbs and was wider than the doorways, a beast to get into the house!

Last edited by John Lister; 03-19-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #43
talbot10

Hi John.
Beautiful Music! You really achived great dynamics with the reordings!
Congradulations!
Bill Hall
Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #44
John Lister

Thank you Bill, I appreciate it!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #45
talbot10

Quote:
Thank you Bill, I appreciate it!

Your Very Welcome John and glad to have you here!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #46
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Just the meathead chiming in. Nice looking piano you HAD there John.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #47
podunklander

I love those Victorian pianos. btw John, I was referring to the supposed sunken piano that so many searched for in an attempt to reverse 'the Curse' ...as in the Bambino's Turns out that venture wasn't necessary but the search continues on..unless -by chance did your piano come from Saugus?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #48
Patti

Welcome, John.

Hey BILLW, I didn't know that was a song, I just liked how you "sang" it. Sounded good. Later I typed it in at youtube and found a song called "Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down" by The Toasters. Catchy tune.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #49
Dream Street Rose

Hey Patti,

If Borderstone had time to post I am sure he could tell you all about the Toasters. That man is amazing with all music trivia.

Welcome to our group, John. I know you will enjoy it here and like your new "corfid family". Thank you for your wonderful contributions.

DSR
Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #50
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
Welcome, John.

Hey BILLW, I didn't know that was a song, I just liked how you "sang" it. Sounded good. Later I typed it in at youtube and found a song called "Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down" by The Toasters. Catchy tune.

Patti,

The lyrics I was (mis-)quoting are from "Bill & Annie" on the album "Running, Jumping, Standing Still" by John Koerner and Willie Murphy. It's widely available after all these years. A partial review here:

Bill and Annie" ramps up the party again, with one of the best choruses on the album--"don't let the bastards wear you down/don't get hassled to a frazzle."

Amazon.com: Running, Jumping, Standing Still:...Amazon.com: Running, Jumping, Standing Still:...
Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote