banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 02:44 AM   #51
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Jenney Rivard scored something like 485!
I had one hit where the penguin soared so high he went off the screen. I thought, "Ahhh. This is the one to break all records!" Didn't work though. He did a nose dive at 207 feet.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

326 for me. 485? That is quite a feet because I can't see how to hit it that far. You have to get enough air but not so much that he nose dives.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:11 AM   #52
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

308.1 so far but I'll have my daughter try it later, that'll work.

Bill
Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 AM   #53
Restless

Great post, Erica/Sundreme. Islamists love death; we love life. Islamists know only how to destroy, to the detriment of all; we create, for the benefit of all. Here's a case where things are absolutely black and white, and anybody who sees gray ought to repair their moral compass.

Gotta get back to swatting that penguin...
Old 01-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #54
brink

315.5 and A LOT of zeros.

[This message has been edited by brink (edited January 25, 2004).]
Old 01-25-2004, 12:59 PM   #55
Jenney

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
326 for me. 485? That is quite a feet because I can't see how to hit it that far. You have to get enough air but not so much that he nose dives.

Yep, not much to do around here lately except hit penquins. The person that sent it to me got in the 500's, she must be even more bored than I was!

Hey, maybe next topic we can talk about religion! Whoo Hoo, that would be fun. Whoops, gotta wipe off my moniter, it's dripping with sarcasm.
Jenney
Old 01-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #56
TheWatchman

That game is actually more fun than actually clubbing baby seals on Saturday afternoons.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:43 PM   #57
TheWatchman

Is Bill going to send a prize to the person who gets the highest score by Feb 1st? if I remember, there is still a CD floating around somewhere. I would offer my "Rubber Soul" CD but I am afraid people would stop playing the game.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:06 PM   #58
Sheila Ann

This penguin smacking is great fun! Have gotten up to 336 but I think my favorite is a nose-dive at 200. Correction...many nose-dives at 200 All I can think of is the little guy in the slicker and hat, riding a tricycle on Laugh In who suddenly tips over...splat! Too, too funny. Mercy...I think I need to get a life. Well...not quite yet...right after I smack a few more 200's
Old 01-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #59
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by Restless:
Great post, Erica/Sundreme. Islamists love death; we love life. Islamists know only how to destroy, to the detriment of all; we create, for the benefit of all. Here's a case where things are absolutely black and white, and anybody who sees gray ought to repair their moral compass.

Gotta get back to swatting that penguin...

Thanks Restless,
Although I'm pretty liberal on most issues, it really frosts my craw when people try to mitigate, downplay and make excuses for the true evil that is Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.
On the subject of the penguin,whose name I deduced to be "Reinhold", I'm addicted to the little feller as well. So far my highest has only been 323.5. I still dont know HOW anyone can possibly get much higher than that,but I guess its possible. It just seems that its programmed not to go past a certain distance. Cathy, Jenny, have you two been able to repeat your highest scores or come anywhere close or was it just a one time thing?
BTW, I mentioned on the newsgroup that anyone who might feel a little guilty hitting a poor defenseless penguin with a big ole Yeti bat, needn't worry about it. Its obvious from his "wheeeeees" and the way he keeps coming back for more that he really enjoys it. Penguins are flightless, so I guess his little trips in the air, via the bat are the only way he can feel like a "real" bird.
Erica
Old 01-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #60
violet Blue Horse

What amazes me these days is that people everywhere feel perfectly comfortable about standing around in a room full of people and mouth statements that are blatantly prejudiced and full of hate. It used to be that prejudice was bad and tolerance of others beliefs and life choices was good. It used to be that mouthing blatantly prejudiced statements in public was not done, no matter what your personal thoughts were.

I find it depressingly sad that prejudice won out over tolerance.

Islam is not an inherently violent religion. The Middle East however IS an inherently violent realm. It has been since the time of Teddy Roosevelt. The politics of the region are to blame, not the religion. Blame the individuals responsible, whom ever you think that might be, but do not blame a religion that boasts many beauties and truths.

------------------
Born once - Got it right the first time. )O(

Old 01-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #61
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
What amazes me these days is that people everywhere feel perfectly comfortable about standing around in a room full of people and mouth statements that are blatantly prejudiced and full of hate. It used to be that prejudice was bad and tolerance of others beliefs and life choices was good. It used to be that mouthing blatantly prejudiced statements in public was not done, no matter what your personal thoughts were.

I find it depressingly sad that prejudice won out over tolerance.

Islam is not an inherently violent religion. The Middle East however IS an inherently violent realm. It has been since the time of Teddy Roosevelt. The politics of the region are to blame, not the religion. Blame the individuals responsible, whom ever you think that might be, but do not blame a religion that boasts many beauties and truths.

And what amazes me is that people want to be so poltically correct that they cannot accept the truth if that truth detracts from their rose colored "everyone is lovely, everything is equal" view of the world.
. You cannot bring up the middle east and then dismiss the fact that it is primarily Islamic. The politics of the region are directly tied to the religion; it has a huge influence on the people there. One can't blame a region for violence as if somehow a geographic area can itself be inherently prone to savagery. Israel is a part of the middle east too. How many Israeli homicide bombers are there? How many Israelis are blowing up airplanes? Of course, when Israel defends itself, some folks try draw a moral equivilant between her actions and the terrorists, but Israel never takes action except out of self defense.
Also, Islamic fundamentalist terrorism stretches far beyond the middle east. It is present all over the world, including Africa, Bali and the Philipines to name a few places. As i said before, it is not all of Islam , nor all muslims that practice terrorism. But to deny that there is more than just a little support for it in the Islamic world or that the majority of organized terrorism today is tied to Islamic extremism is to blantently deny reality.
Erica
Old 01-25-2004, 05:54 PM   #62
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Sundreme:
[snip] Cathy, Jenny, have you two been able to repeat your highest scores or come anywhere close or was it just a one time thing?
Erica

I haven't been able to beat my original high score, which was only 10 feet more than yours, Erica.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Old 01-25-2004, 06:22 PM   #63
brink

315.7 that is .2 farther than my first highest score. Still a lot of zeros and many, many nose dives! Three hours straight Cathy and I have only gone 315 feet. He does seem to like it though.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #64
violet Blue Horse

Truth always has been and always will be a subjective opinion. Someone who emphatically believes otherwise is usually someone engaged in knee jerk reactionism.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sundreme:
[B] And what amazes me is that people want to be so poltically correct that they cannot accept the truth if that truth detracts from their rose colored "everyone is lovely, everything is equal" view of the world.

------------------

Old 01-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #65
Sundreme

Truth is not subjective, it is objective. That is what makes it TRUTH. Some things are correct based on factual realities. For example, it is not merely my opinion that the sun rises in the east and sets in the West, or to be more prescise, the earth rotates in such a way that from the vangtage point of one standing on Earth, it appears to rise in the east and set in the west. These statments are factually correct, which makes them true.
If someone wants to purposely argue incorrectly for the sake of argument, then they can deny the existence of East and West,or say that the earth is really stationary and does not rotate at all, but this does not make them correct, nor does it negate the veracity of the original statement.
Whatever "opinion" I offer is always supported by facts and I state those facts whenever I present an argument.
If someone can offer their own facts to repudiate anything that has been said or that can support their counter-arguments then they should do so. Otherwise, without facts to back up those statements, then it is they who are engaging in the knee jerk reactionism.
Erica

[B]Truth always has been and always will be a subjective opinion. Someone who emphatically believes otherwise is usually someone engaged in knee jerk reactionism.

And what amazes me is that people want to be so poltically correct that they cannot accept the truth if that truth detracts from their rose colored "everyone is lovely, everything is equal" view of the world.

[This message has been edited by Sundreme (edited January 25, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Sundreme (edited January 25, 2004).]
Old 01-25-2004, 10:28 PM   #66
violet Blue Horse

Some truths are true for all such as the sun always rises in the east.

Some "truths" are not truth but opinion. A wish man learns to tell the difference and does not represent one as the other and then claim not to have done so.

A wise man would also read up on Middle Eastern history and the religion of Islam and try to understand the history of it's people before condeming them all as terrorists.

------------------

Old 01-25-2004, 10:56 PM   #67
Sundreme

I dont know who you are suggesting learn about middle eastern history, but if you are refering to me, you are barking up the wrong tree. Believe me, I know about middle eastern history. Middle Eastern history is MY history, it is the history of my people and I know it well.
As far as saying all Middle Easterners are terrorists, I know that I for one, did not do that, so if you are suggesting that, you have now gone from arguing an opinion without facts, to out and out mispresenting others words in order to support your baseless arguments.
You were the one that said TRUTH is subjective, i proved you wrong and you try to change the argument. The facts are that the sun rises in the east, just as the facts are that Muslim extemist are responsible for an inordinate amount of terrorism that exists in the world today. Once again, I challenge you to prove me wrong.
Erica
Some truths are true for all such as the sun always rises in the east.

Some "truths" are not truth but opinion. A wish man learns to tell the difference and does not represent one as the other and then claim not to have done so.

A wise man would also read up on Middle Eastern history and the religion of Islam and try to understand the history of it's people before condeming them all as terrorists.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:34 PM   #68
TheWatchman

you have now gone from arguing an opinion without facts, to out and out mispresenting others words in order to support your baseless arguments.
You were the one that said TRUTH is subjective, i proved you wrong and you try to change the argument.
Erica

She does this all the time. You have blown gaping holes in her argument. YEEE-AWWWW! YEEE-AWWWW! YEEE-AWWWW!

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited January 25, 2004).]
Old 01-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #69
violet Blue Horse

Please, go get a few good unbiased history books and learn what the Colonizing British and the Americans did and have continued to do to "your people" for the last hundred or so years. Learn the history of the resentment anger and frustration of "your people". Don't you owe "your people" that much?

Yes, the majority of true terrorists in the world today are Islamic. It does not follow however, as some on this board have said " Islamic Terrorists is a current that runs through the main stream of many Islamic societies and the Muslims who condemn it appear to be the ones at their societies' fringes". Statistically speaking, the number of Islamic terrorists in this world are few compared to the number of Islamics in the world. The terrorists are the fringe, not the majoirty. I would guess, being generous to your hypothesis, that it's on the order of one in 800,000 considering what a huge percentage of the world is Islamic. Of course right before that statement you said "I'm not saying all Muslims believe this or support this" so it's really kind of hard to tell exactly what it is you believe isn't it?

So no, you did not say all islamics are terrorists. You did say that those islamics who condemn terrorist violence are few and the fringe however. Close though, eh?

Of course what's truly amazing is that I wasn't even talking to you when I made that post about prejudice. Funny though how you thought I was.

I dont know who you are suggesting learn about middle eastern history, but if you are refering to me, you are barking up the wrong tree. Believe me, I know about middle eastern history. Middle Eastern history is MY history, it is the history of my people and I know it well.
As far as saying all Middle Easterners are terrorists, I know that I for one, did not do that, so if you are suggesting that, you have now gone from arguing an opinion without facts, to out and out mispresenting others words in order to support your baseless arguments.
You were the one that said TRUTH is subjective, i proved you wrong and you try to change the argument. The facts are that the sun rises in the east, just as the facts are that Muslim extemist are responsible for an inordinate amount of terrorism that exists in the world today. Once again, I challenge you to prove me wrong.
Erica

------------------

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited January 26, 2004).]

Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 AM   #70
violet Blue Horse

And once again Watchman you get the prize for the most childish post in this subject.

Proud of yourself?

------------------

[This message has been edited by violet Blue Horse (edited January 25, 2004).]

Old 01-26-2004, 06:16 AM   #71
Sundreme

First of all, again I know the history of the mideast. You aren't telling me anything I have not heard. And I look at ALL the sources I can find, even those biased towards a point of view different than the one I might hold. Perhaps you should do the same. I for one, am not afraid to hear how the other side thinks. That's how one learns. As I said, I listen to arab newscasts, and I read Al Jazeera. There is precious little, if any condemnation of terrorism from them at all.
The middle east was colonized yes, so was America at one time. Many peoples were oppressed in this world, it doesnt give them the faintest exuse to go out and commit terrorism. BTW, do not assume that when I say "my people" I mean muslims or arabs. There are other people that came out of that region and "my people" were there long before anyone ever heard of Islam. "My people" were probably one of the most persecuted peoples on the planet, as were many other groups.
The difference is we dont commit terrorism and we dont use past oppressions as an excuse for it.
Again you are changing the argument. First you claimed that I or someone else said that all middle easterners or muslims were terrorists. I never said that and I don't think any one else did. Now you act as if you never claimed anyone said that.
I also pointed out that not all Islamic terrorism is based in middle east. It is a world wide phenomenon. That negates the already unfounded theory that Islamic fundamentalist terrorism is simply a biproduct of the poor, helpless peoples of that region.
The reason I said that not all muslims support terrorism is because, and I'll say it again slowly..."not ALL muslims support terrorism." However, I did say and I do stand by my statement that terrorism and the support for it runs deep through Islamic societies. Does that mean that the majority of muslims support terrorism? Maybe, maybe not. What I do know is that while Timothy McVeigh was villified by his society, Islamic terrorists are celebrated by theirs. What I do know is that the outcry and the protests eminating from muslim communities and individuals against the people and organizations that have commited terrorism has been well, shall we say, "underwhelming."
What I do know is if you condemn terrorism, you dont call the murderer a "martyr", you dont hang his poster on your walls ,celebrate his great deed by passing out candy and you don't congratulate his parents that their child is now a shaheed.
Erica

Please, go get a few good unbiased history books and learn what the Colonizing British and the Americans did and have continued to do to "your people" for the last hundred or so years. Learn the history of the resentment anger and frustration of "your people". Don't you owe "your people" that much?

Yes, the majority of true terrorists in the world today are Islamic. It does not follow however, as some on this board have said " Islamic Terrorists is a current that runs through the main stream of many Islamic societies and the Muslims who condemn it appear to be the ones at their societies' fringes". Statistically speaking, the number of Islamic terrorists in this world are few compared to the number of Islamics in the world. The terrorists are the fringe, not the majoirty. I would guess, being generous to your hypothesis, that it's on the order of one in 800,000 considering what a huge percentage of the world is Islamic. Of course right before that statement you said "I'm not saying all Muslims believe this or support this" so it's really kind of hard to tell exactly what it is you believe isn't it?

So no, you did not say all islamics are terrorists. You did say that those islamics who condemn terrorist violence are few and the fringe however. Close though, eh?

Of course what's truly amazing is that I wasn't even talking to you when I made that post about prejudice. Funny though how you thought I was.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 AM   #72
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
She does this all the time. You have blown gaping holes in her argument. YEEE-AWWWW! YEEE-AWWWW! YEEE-AWWWW!

[This message has been edited by TheWatchman (edited January 25, 2004).]

Now dat's a good one. I'm still laughing picturing Dean and that disturbing yell he gave at the end of his so called consession speech.
Erica
Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 AM   #73
dodecahedron

For crying out loud, life is too short!

Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 AM   #74
TheWatchman

And once again Watchman you get the prize for the most childish post in this subject.

Proud of yourself?

Yes I am! YEEE-AWWWWW!

Old 01-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #75
violet Blue Horse

Yada yada yada yada yada yada. You sure talk alot. But you don't say much.

[B]First of all, again I know the history of the mideast. You aren't telling me anything I have not heard. And I look at ALL the sources I can find, even those biased towards a point of view different than the one I . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

------------------

Closed Thread