banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-05-2001, 09:17 PM   #1
NB

The GL concert in Hudson, NC was two weeks ago tonight and my feet still aren't completely on the ground. I figured this was the place to come to share.

First: Hello, everyone I feel as though I already know all the regulars here. I've been a frequent visitor at this site for at least a year (you are WONDERFUL, Florian!), but just started to join in this week.

This was my fifth GL concert and second time having front row seats...the first time also being in Hudson in March '99. I took a lot of pictures (turned the flash off!), got several good ones that I would love to share if you're interested.

The show was fantastic. The band was tight, and Gord looked more fit and sounded better than he did two years ago. He was very energetic and upbeat, and chatted more than in most previous concerts I've attended.

I didn't have enough wits about me to get a set list (absolutely spellbound), but he did most of the standards they do live (CRT, Sundown, "the song about the boat" , Early Morning Rain, and IYCRRM among them). He included "Heaven Don't Deserve Me" from the Songbook anthology. As others have mentioned in their posts, he talked about four new songs, but only played three of them. His comments are in parenthesis after each title.
Shellfish (about staying motivated)
Nightime (home & family)
No Hotel (a surrealistic hotel) - a really fun and lively tune <--my comment
The fourth, which he did not reveal the name of, is about "unrequited love". Why is it THAT one the piques my interest? Is it because I have a terminal case?

We took our three boys (16, 14 & 12), all of whom were raised on GL, but also listen to the popular music for their age group - and they proclaimed the show to be "awesome".

At the show two years ago, I got my first autographs, not in person, but only by pleading with Barry Harvey..(and pleading, and pleading...)

This time...(dramatic pause) I got to meet the entire band, get their autographs, and finally, met Gordon himself! All of them are so genuine, friendly, self-deprecating...just REAL, if you know what I mean. They put you at ease. I asked each of them to sign a poster I have from Songbook. I also have a large Summertime Dream poster, which I asked just Gordon to autograph. If (God forbid) my house ever caught on fire, I would: 1) Remove my children. 2) Get my family photos. 3) Grab those posters!

My friend, and co-worker, Brad, was there also and brought a Martin guitar that he built from a kit. He got it autographed by Gordon, Terry, and Rick. It is gorgeous! Each of them, separately, protested...they didn't want to "ruin" Brad's guitar. They were adorable.

While talking with Rick Haynes, I mentioned that I had also wanted to attend the next night's show in Greensboro, NC, because each one was about a 90 minute drive from home, but SOMEBODY (gesturing toward my husband) wouldn't let me buy tickets for both nights. Rick asked me did I really want to come and how many tickets would I need, and I told him of course I did, and two, please! The tickets were at the box office, as promised, Friday night..another pair of excellent seats. How lucky can one girl get??? But, I think my backstage pass fell out of the envelope....

The ONLY downside...I was the victim of "karma kickback".
I finally got to have my picture taken with Gord, and as I was getting as close to him as possible and a firm grip on his arm (he had on a great-looking black leather jacket), my friend, Brad, asked if he could get in on the picture. I spun my head around, not unlike Linda Blair, and said, "NOOOOOOOO!" and, lo and behold...THE @*&!$# FLASH DIDN'T GO OFF!!!!

I will never get over this...ever. It was taken outside, at 11PM, so needless to say it's not so good. Thankfully, it was a digital camera and with the software I have I was able to play with it enough that you can tell it's the two of us..kinda. Anyone here FBI? CIA? or know someone? I figure they must have software sophisticated enough...

Did I mention I will never get over it?

Well, I've taken enough time and space, and if you read this far, thank you and God Bless you.

I wish you good spaces,
Bev

NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2001, 09:17 PM   #2
Bev

The GL concert in Hudson, NC was two weeks ago tonight and my feet still aren't completely on the ground. I figured this was the place to come to share.

First: Hello, everyone I feel as though I already know all the regulars here. I've been a frequent visitor at this site for at least a year (you are WONDERFUL, Florian!), but just started to join in this week.

This was my fifth GL concert and second time having front row seats...the first time also being in Hudson in March '99. I took a lot of pictures (turned the flash off!), got several good ones that I would love to share if you're interested.

The show was fantastic. The band was tight, and Gord looked more fit and sounded better than he did two years ago. He was very energetic and upbeat, and chatted more than in most previous concerts I've attended.

I didn't have enough wits about me to get a set list (absolutely spellbound), but he did most of the standards they do live (CRT, Sundown, "the song about the boat" , Early Morning Rain, and IYCRRM among them). He included "Heaven Don't Deserve Me" from the Songbook anthology. As others have mentioned in their posts, he talked about four new songs, but only played three of them. His comments are in parenthesis after each title.
Shellfish (about staying motivated)
Nightime (home & family)
No Hotel (a surrealistic hotel) - a really fun and lively tune <--my comment
The fourth, which he did not reveal the name of, is about "unrequited love". Why is it THAT one the piques my interest? Is it because I have a terminal case?

We took our three boys (16, 14 & 12), all of whom were raised on GL, but also listen to the popular music for their age group - and they proclaimed the show to be "awesome".

At the show two years ago, I got my first autographs, not in person, but only by pleading with Barry Harvey..(and pleading, and pleading...)

This time...(dramatic pause) I got to meet the entire band, get their autographs, and finally, met Gordon himself! All of them are so genuine, friendly, self-deprecating...just REAL, if you know what I mean. They put you at ease. I asked each of them to sign a poster I have from Songbook. I also have a large Summertime Dream poster, which I asked just Gordon to autograph. If (God forbid) my house ever caught on fire, I would: 1) Remove my children. 2) Get my family photos. 3) Grab those posters!

My friend, and co-worker, Brad, was there also and brought a Martin guitar that he built from a kit. He got it autographed by Gordon, Terry, and Rick. It is gorgeous! Each of them, separately, protested...they didn't want to "ruin" Brad's guitar. They were adorable.

While talking with Rick Haynes, I mentioned that I had also wanted to attend the next night's show in Greensboro, NC, because each one was about a 90 minute drive from home, but SOMEBODY (gesturing toward my husband) wouldn't let me buy tickets for both nights. Rick asked me did I really want to come and how many tickets would I need, and I told him of course I did, and two, please! The tickets were at the box office, as promised, Friday night..another pair of excellent seats. How lucky can one girl get??? But, I think my backstage pass fell out of the envelope....

The ONLY downside...I was the victim of "karma kickback".
I finally got to have my picture taken with Gord, and as I was getting as close to him as possible and a firm grip on his arm (he had on a great-looking black leather jacket), my friend, Brad, asked if he could get in on the picture. I spun my head around, not unlike Linda Blair, and said, "NOOOOOOOO!" and, lo and behold...THE @*&!$# FLASH DIDN'T GO OFF!!!!

I will never get over this...ever. It was taken outside, at 11PM, so needless to say it's not so good. Thankfully, it was a digital camera and with the software I have I was able to play with it enough that you can tell it's the two of us..kinda. Anyone here FBI? CIA? or know someone? I figure they must have software sophisticated enough...

Did I mention I will never get over it?

Well, I've taken enough time and space, and if you read this far, thank you and God Bless you.

I wish you good spaces,
Bev

Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 10:52 AM   #3
Ferret Mike

Must've been a great evening and experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Don't expect too much sympathy (from me) regarding the picture--at least you got to meet him and grab his arm.
Actually, on reflection, I am sorry that the pic isn't perfect. Would be nice to have such a moment recorded for all time.
Ferret Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 10:52 AM   #4
jay

Must've been a great evening and experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Don't expect too much sympathy (from me) regarding the picture--at least you got to meet him and grab his arm.
Actually, on reflection, I am sorry that the pic isn't perfect. Would be nice to have such a moment recorded for all time.
________
DEPAKOTE ATTORNEYS

Last edited by jay; 05-03-2011 at 05:02 AM.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 12:00 AM   #5
Rebecca

This is a great story, Bev. I'm still in awe of your ability to elicit a kind response from dear Mr. Haynes.
Rebecca
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 08:57 PM   #6
SilverHeels

Bev, that was a great story. And I'm
not surprised by Rick's
courtesy. I've always found him to be
polite and friendly.
Thanks for sharing, Bev.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 11:40 AM   #7
charlene

Hi Bev! I'm so sorry about your pic! The rest of your evenings events sounded terrific though! Thanks for the input!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 11:40 AM   #8
charlene

Hi Bev! I'm so sorry about your pic! The rest of your evenings events sounded terrific though! Thanks for the input!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote