banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2000, 11:36 PM   #51
charlene

2much2lose - we were glad to see Roger "all about me" Clemens leave this city. He is one egotistical jerk! I laughed myself silly when I saw he received his series ring with Wells number instead of his!!! TOO FUNNY!
Boomer is playing Big Daddy to the young arms in the bullpen and I think he's enjoying it! You won't get Roer showing anyone his stuff - cuz he's pretty well lost it!
I don't know if I could take it - Gord singing the Canadian anthem - I'd just dissolve into a big puddle right onto the Skydome astroturf! LOL
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited July 23, 2000).]
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 11:59 AM   #52
Ferret Mike

Just catchig up on the latest here.
Mary Ann, please get yourself a copy of Summer Side of Life and listen to it five times in the first week. At least 3 of those times should be when you can really listen. If I'm wrong, well, I can't think of an appropriate punishment but maybe you can.

I've always liked Nous Vivans Ensemble, but being a culturally deprived Yank, I still do not know the literal French translation, though. I do know a little of the history--"On the Plains of Abraham, when they put the lamb to die--You and I were asleep in the rock of ages. . ." If I remember correctly, the pivotal battle of the French and Indian War fought in the 1750's was on the Plains of Abraham, under the walls of Quebec City. The British under General Wolfe won (although Wolfe suffered a mortal wound) over the French and Montcalm and the French basically lost Canada to the English.

All that's from memory, so one of you Canadians feel free to grade my paper.

Incidentally, I was at a party a month or two ago and met a woman originally from Canada, and asked her about the separatist movement and her response was: "Let 'em go!"
I was alittle surprised, but maybe that is a prevailing feeling? I was going to ask about Gord next, but never got the chance. . .

Oh, and did I remember to suggest that MARY ANN MUST HAVE SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE.
Ferret Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 11:59 AM   #53
jay

Just catchig up on the latest here.
Mary Ann, please get yourself a copy of Summer Side of Life and listen to it five times in the first week. At least 3 of those times should be when you can really listen. If I'm wrong, well, I can't think of an appropriate punishment but maybe you can.

I've always liked Nous Vivans Ensemble, but being a culturally deprived Yank, I still do not know the literal French translation, though. I do know a little of the history--"On the Plains of Abraham, when they put the lamb to die--You and I were asleep in the rock of ages. . ." If I remember correctly, the pivotal battle of the French and Indian War fought in the 1750's was on the Plains of Abraham, under the walls of Quebec City. The British under General Wolfe won (although Wolfe suffered a mortal wound) over the French and Montcalm and the French basically lost Canada to the English.

All that's from memory, so one of you Canadians feel free to grade my paper.

Incidentally, I was at a party a month or two ago and met a woman originally from Canada, and asked her about the separatist movement and her response was: "Let 'em go!"
I was alittle surprised, but maybe that is a prevailing feeling? I was going to ask about Gord next, but never got the chance. . .

Oh, and did I remember to suggest that MARY ANN MUST HAVE SUMMER SIDE OF LIFE.
________
Lovely Wendie

Last edited by jay; 05-03-2011 at 04:58 AM.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 07:15 PM   #54
CanadaGirl38

Well, for starters.. EVERYONE should have Summer Side of Life! If I were starting my collection from scratch that would be one of the very first items. In fact the first two GL albums that I bought on CD were that and Don Quixote (on the same day, though technically I picked up DQ first....and if I could have only bought one that day it would have been DQ...)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand - I don't suspect us ol' USA folk would ever get a "this is how it is" answer because it's that type of issue - everybody's got an opinion. I remember talking with some folks on my one visit to Vancouver. There was a popular opinion at the time that if Quebec went their own way that the Maratimes would be eaten up by the US and become states. There were more than a few who felt that Canada would not survive if Quebec left and you'd have a giant US all around it. I don't buy that myself - I think there is far too much of a separate Canadian identity taht just would not allow that and I consider that a very good thing.

That all said, I suspect that I'll not live to see the day of an independent Quebec - too many issues to block it. Then again, what do I know? I never would have predicted teh Berlin Wall coming down....
CanadaGirl38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2000, 07:15 PM   #55
fezo

Well, for starters.. EVERYONE should have Summer Side of Life! If I were starting my collection from scratch that would be one of the very first items. In fact the first two GL albums that I bought on CD were that and Don Quixote (on the same day, though technically I picked up DQ first....and if I could have only bought one that day it would have been DQ...)

Anyway, back to the subject at hand - I don't suspect us ol' USA folk would ever get a "this is how it is" answer because it's that type of issue - everybody's got an opinion. I remember talking with some folks on my one visit to Vancouver. There was a popular opinion at the time that if Quebec went their own way that the Maratimes would be eaten up by the US and become states. There were more than a few who felt that Canada would not survive if Quebec left and you'd have a giant US all around it. I don't buy that myself - I think there is far too much of a separate Canadian identity taht just would not allow that and I consider that a very good thing.

That all said, I suspect that I'll not live to see the day of an independent Quebec - too many issues to block it. Then again, what do I know? I never would have predicted teh Berlin Wall coming down....
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 11:04 AM   #56
Tom

Hi all!
I've been the proverbial "Mountains and Mary Ann" this past week in North Carolina so I'm just now responding to all these great posts. Wow! I didn't know I'd have everyone digging into their history books for answers to my question about Quebec. Thanks Jay, Char & Fezo for those bits of Canadian history.
Jay,
Just to ease your mind . . . I have been trying for ages to find "Summer Side of Life" but can't find it anywhere. That one and "Salute". I feel so unworthy!!!
Fezo,
If anyone can be called spoiled with pennent fever it's those DAMN YANKEES!
(Sorry, 2Much)The Braves might have been in the World Series 9 years running, but they always start to fall apart in the second round of NLCS so by the time they reach the WS, they're already on the skids. Maybe this year, huh?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 11:04 AM   #57
Mary Ann

Hi all!
I've been the proverbial "Mountains and Mary Ann" this past week in North Carolina so I'm just now responding to all these great posts. Wow! I didn't know I'd have everyone digging into their history books for answers to my question about Quebec. Thanks Jay, Char & Fezo for those bits of Canadian history.
Jay,
Just to ease your mind . . . I have been trying for ages to find "Summer Side of Life" but can't find it anywhere. That one and "Salute". I feel so unworthy!!!
Fezo,
If anyone can be called spoiled with pennent fever it's those DAMN YANKEES!
(Sorry, 2Much)The Braves might have been in the World Series 9 years running, but they always start to fall apart in the second round of NLCS so by the time they reach the WS, they're already on the skids. Maybe this year, huh?
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 03:17 PM   #58
Janice

Hey Mary Ann, welcome home.

Unfortunately, Salute is a hard one to find because it is still not released on CD. However, Summer Side Of Life is available as I type at Amazon.com and no doubt it's available at some of the other online shopping sites as well. Since you can't find it locally in the stores, you might want to try one of these places.

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 09:21 PM   #59
Dan

MaryAnn,

I just did some comparison shopping at all the sites listed on Florian's 'where to buy cd's page' and it seems that CDworld has the best prices. I just ordered IYCRMM, Sundown and the United Artists Collection. All three were $9.17 each and with 3-day shipping the whole order was $33.36. I am expecting them to arrive on Wednesday. I will let you know if there are any problems.

Also, my wife just told me that the Media-Play near us just got a bunch of GL cd's in and most of them are $10.75 each. Not a bad deal either.

Does anyone know why the Sunday Concert-Plus cd is so much money?

Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 05:52 PM   #60
chris

Sunday Concert Plus is an import - German I think - so it's more money for that reason. But it also has four more songs than the Sunday Concert album. One of them is Spin, Spin, Spin -- the extra money just for this song is worth it. I don't believe you can get any of these extra songs on any other album. It costs more but more than worth it.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 01:32 AM   #61
J. M. Miller

Charlene,
Your response to the "Quebec question" is brilliant. I believe you are my hero. Unfortunately, the States are becoming less and less "demanding of immigrants," thanks in large part to the pluralism and multi-culturalism of liberals (now being taught in schools at the expense of good old American history). I pray your point of view of assimilation is more widely held than it seems to be these days, or both nations are in big trouble.
Old 08-02-2000, 01:32 AM   #62
J. M. Miller

Charlene,
Your response to the "Quebec question" is brilliant. I believe you are my hero. Unfortunately, the States are becoming less and less "demanding of immigrants," thanks in large part to the pluralism and multi-culturalism of liberals (now being taught in schools at the expense of good old American history). I pray your point of view of assimilation is more widely held than it seems to be these days, or both nations are in big trouble.
Old 08-02-2000, 02:04 PM   #63
jennybryce

Dan, I have had an order in with Amazon.com for Sunday Concert Plus since mid-April. They have been great about communicating with me every month or so to let me know they are having trouble getting it right now, since it is an import. It is one of the few GL CD's that I don't have, so I have been telling them to continue to keep trying to fill my order. Has anybody had better luck recently finding this one? If not, I am content to wait.

Anne
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 02:04 PM   #64
Anne

Dan, I have had an order in with Amazon.com for Sunday Concert Plus since mid-April. They have been great about communicating with me every month or so to let me know they are having trouble getting it right now, since it is an import. It is one of the few GL CD's that I don't have, so I have been telling them to continue to keep trying to fill my order. Has anybody had better luck recently finding this one? If not, I am content to wait.

Anne
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 09:18 PM   #65
Dan

Anne,

I received the 3 cd's I ordered over the weekend today. In fact the United Artist Collection cd's are playing as I write this. I think CDworld shows that they have the Sunday Concert CD in stock. They seem to be very efficient, but I only have used them this once.

Regards,
Dan
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 10:46 PM   #66
just a fan

As mentioned earlier about immigrants, does everone realize that the " Railway" sung about by Gordon in Canadian Railroad Trilogy was built almost entirely by Chinese Immigrants?
Old 08-02-2000, 10:46 PM   #67
just a fan

As mentioned earlier about immigrants, does everone realize that the " Railway" sung about by Gordon in Canadian Railroad Trilogy was built almost entirely by Chinese Immigrants?
Old 08-02-2000, 11:08 PM   #68
charlene

"for every mile of railroad there is a dead Chinese man" is the saying I have heard.
And the mines, mills and the factories were built and manned by European immigrants mostly and here in Toronto that meant almost exclusively Italian. There were many Italian miners up north too. My maternal grandfather of British heritage also was a gold miner in Northern Ontario as was my Italian grandfather. They helped build this country since the mid 1800's and I for one am grateful for their dedication to their new homeland and the sacrifices they made to be here. Things are different today though. That old saying "there's no such thing as a free ride" - ain't true anymore! The using and abusing of this country is rampant by many people and it makes me want to scream at times. "Oh they looked to the future and what did they see...?" The vision is different today. "A dollar a day and a place for my head, a drink to the living, a toast to the dead.....
a reflective Char
Old 08-02-2000, 11:08 PM   #69
charlene

"for every mile of railroad there is a dead Chinese man" is the saying I have heard.
And the mines, mills and the factories were built and manned by European immigrants mostly and here in Toronto that meant almost exclusively Italian. There were many Italian miners up north too. My maternal grandfather of British heritage also was a gold miner in Northern Ontario as was my Italian grandfather. They helped build this country since the mid 1800's and I for one am grateful for their dedication to their new homeland and the sacrifices they made to be here. Things are different today though. That old saying "there's no such thing as a free ride" - ain't true anymore! The using and abusing of this country is rampant by many people and it makes me want to scream at times. "Oh they looked to the future and what did they see...?" The vision is different today. "A dollar a day and a place for my head, a drink to the living, a toast to the dead.....
a reflective Char
Old 08-04-2000, 12:49 PM   #70
charlene

regarding the French/English/Native discussion - I have pics from Orillia of the Samuel de Champlain monument and plaques with the info if anyone wants to see them.
e-mail me at westbrd@sprint.ca
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old 08-04-2000, 12:49 PM   #71
charlene

regarding the French/English/Native discussion - I have pics from Orillia of the Samuel de Champlain monument and plaques with the info if anyone wants to see them.
e-mail me at westbrd@sprint.ca
Char

[This message has been edited by charlene (edited August 04, 2000).]