banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-05-2001, 06:36 AM   #1
ChristopherPennington

Does anyone else think that what with all the changes in country music over the years, Gordon Lightfoot's music could easily fit into what they're playing these days? I don't understand why I have never heard one GL song on a country station....
ChristopherPennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 06:36 AM   #2
70sFan

Does anyone else think that what with all the changes in country music over the years, Gordon Lightfoot's music could easily fit into what they're playing these days? I don't understand why I have never heard one GL song on a country station....
70sFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:01 AM   #3
WillieMaysFan

Actually, I believe that Gord's music, new and old, could and should get air time on a number of different radio station genres. But we don't hear Gord's music anywhere near as often as we should on any station, at least here in America. I think it just comes down to what the majority of the fans want to hear. It's unfortunate, but I believe that the overwhelming majority of fans out there, especially in the U.S., fall for the "big names" (not that Gord isn't, but you know what I mean) and they aren't bold enough to listen to anything but what's in style. If the stations want to stay in business, they had better play the current fads.

I don't want to sound like I'm downing all currently popular music. I am a country fan and a lot of it is really good, however, I think it would be hard to convince a DJ to give Gord airtime instead of the Dixie Chicks or Tim McGraw. The whole thing is really typical. The problem I think is that Gord just writes from his heart and the melodies are in his own unique style. That's the problem, Gord has such a unique style of music that you're left with the question, what station should be playing this stuff? The answer is easy, it could be played on a lot of stations and it happens all the time. We hear Faith Hill on pop stations constantly. But then, Faith is in the limelight right now and is singing those catchy tunes that the public grabs on to. Gord's music is so deep that sometimes it takes a few listens to really appreciate how good it is. There are Gord songs that I didn't really think much of at first, but now some of them are my favorites and I wonder to myself what the hell was going through my head the first few times I listened to them that I didn't see how incredibly talented Gord is to have written them. But the general public and the radio stations aren't going to give a song that kind of a chance. He did have that success in the past, though, with tunes like If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown, Carefree Highway. Most people aren't interested if a song doesn't catch their attention right away. And notice how you don't seem to hear Gord singing Early Morning Rain on an oldies station, but you might hear Peter, Paul, & Mary's version. This is kind of good for us in a way, it makes Gord's music all the more special to listen to.
WillieMaysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:01 AM   #4
young stranger

Actually, I believe that Gord's music, new and old, could and should get air time on a number of different radio station genres. But we don't hear Gord's music anywhere near as often as we should on any station, at least here in America. I think it just comes down to what the majority of the fans want to hear. It's unfortunate, but I believe that the overwhelming majority of fans out there, especially in the U.S., fall for the "big names" (not that Gord isn't, but you know what I mean) and they aren't bold enough to listen to anything but what's in style. If the stations want to stay in business, they had better play the current fads.

I don't want to sound like I'm downing all currently popular music. I am a country fan and a lot of it is really good, however, I think it would be hard to convince a DJ to give Gord airtime instead of the Dixie Chicks or Tim McGraw. The whole thing is really typical. The problem I think is that Gord just writes from his heart and the melodies are in his own unique style. That's the problem, Gord has such a unique style of music that you're left with the question, what station should be playing this stuff? The answer is easy, it could be played on a lot of stations and it happens all the time. We hear Faith Hill on pop stations constantly. But then, Faith is in the limelight right now and is singing those catchy tunes that the public grabs on to. Gord's music is so deep that sometimes it takes a few listens to really appreciate how good it is. There are Gord songs that I didn't really think much of at first, but now some of them are my favorites and I wonder to myself what the hell was going through my head the first few times I listened to them that I didn't see how incredibly talented Gord is to have written them. But the general public and the radio stations aren't going to give a song that kind of a chance. He did have that success in the past, though, with tunes like If You Could Read My Mind, Sundown, Carefree Highway. Most people aren't interested if a song doesn't catch their attention right away. And notice how you don't seem to hear Gord singing Early Morning Rain on an oldies station, but you might hear Peter, Paul, & Mary's version. This is kind of good for us in a way, it makes Gord's music all the more special to listen to.
young stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 04:29 PM   #5
moltaire

May I chime in on this very interesting thread?
I agree with y'all on Gord's music being thoroughly appropriate for country radio.
I've seen at least one critic use the word "timeless" to describe Gord's basic style; accordingly, his work in the folk-country vein endures rather than burst and fade. To my ears, the only material which sounds dated (forgive me...) on "Songbook" represents the synthesizer-heavy material from the early- and mid- 80s, when Gord was nodding to the trends of the era. I think his '90s CDs -- "Waiting for You" and "A Painter Passing Through" -- are so much more listenable because he returned to that intimate sound which marks him as a confident artist.
moltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 05:40 PM   #6
Brenda

Lyrically, Gord's music is far too sophisticated, particularly for current country radio. Or any current radio for that matter. A few years ago, Gord's steel guitarist Pee Wee Charles left Gord's employ and he chose not to replace him. I think it was because he did not want to begin being defined as "country" much the same as a few former pop singers (like Kenny Rogers) made the switch from pop to country as a way of continuing their careers. Rogers was mostly "washed up as a pop performer before going into country, although his background included country. No, I'm afraid Gord doesn't really belong on current country radio and it's not because he lacks talent. Merle Haggard is my favorite country singer of all time, and can't get played on country radio. Additionally these two are much older than most country peformers today.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 05:40 PM   #7
Westernstar9

Lyrically, Gord's music is far too sophisticated, particularly for current country radio. Or any current radio for that matter. A few years ago, Gord's steel guitarist Pee Wee Charles left Gord's employ and he chose not to replace him. I think it was because he did not want to begin being defined as "country" much the same as a few former pop singers (like Kenny Rogers) made the switch from pop to country as a way of continuing their careers. Rogers was mostly "washed up as a pop performer before going into country, although his background included country. No, I'm afraid Gord doesn't really belong on current country radio and it's not because he lacks talent. Merle Haggard is my favorite country singer of all time, and can't get played on country radio. Additionally these two are much older than most country peformers today.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 09:12 AM   #8
ChristopherPennington

I definitely agree that Gord's music and lyrics are much more sophisticated, deeper, etc. - should we just sum it up as better? - than alot of what is being played on country stations, still they seem like the relative best fit to me. I often find myself explaining to people who claim to "know" Gordon Lightfoot that it is the songs they've never heard of that I really love rather than the hits that they're familiar with. It just seems a shame that more people will probably never get to hear them.
ChristopherPennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 09:12 AM   #9
70sFan

I definitely agree that Gord's music and lyrics are much more sophisticated, deeper, etc. - should we just sum it up as better? - than alot of what is being played on country stations, still they seem like the relative best fit to me. I often find myself explaining to people who claim to "know" Gordon Lightfoot that it is the songs they've never heard of that I really love rather than the hits that they're familiar with. It just seems a shame that more people will probably never get to hear them.
70sFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 11:55 AM   #10
chnt92.3fm

I host a 70s radio show on saturdays 2pm/7pm
and gord songs are heavealy requested ex....
don quixotte,me and bobby.
Old 06-09-2001, 11:55 AM   #11
chnt92.3fm

Old 06-09-2001, 06:54 PM   #12
scottwp

I am happy that Gordon's music is not played on country music stations. Most of them only play the overproduced, overhyped top 40 pap that is endlessly repeated on mainstream country stations. Did anyone watch the CMA award show this year? Most of it made me want to barf!!
If you want to hear real county music, you have to look for a station that plays Americana. We fortunately have a great one here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, 95.3 FM, "The Range". Check it out on the internet at www.khyi.com.

Unfortunately, the Americana stations don't play Gordon either. I think part of the reason is that he limits his tours to the East and West coasts and upper midwest here in the US. He doesn't come to the Southeast or Southwest at all. He's only performed in Texas once in the 20 years that I have been here.
scottwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 06:54 PM   #13
Steve

I am happy that Gordon's music is not played on country music stations. Most of them only play the overproduced, overhyped top 40 pap that is endlessly repeated on mainstream country stations. Did anyone watch the CMA award show this year? Most of it made me want to barf!!
If you want to hear real county music, you have to look for a station that plays Americana. We fortunately have a great one here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, 95.3 FM, "The Range". Check it out on the internet at www.khyi.com.

Unfortunately, the Americana stations don't play Gordon either. I think part of the reason is that he limits his tours to the East and West coasts and upper midwest here in the US. He doesn't come to the Southeast or Southwest at all. He's only performed in Texas once in the 20 years that I have been here.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 11:38 PM   #14
bjorn

quote:Originally posted by chnt92.3fm:

But do you play him as much as the number of requests would seem to deem fitting?
Erica
bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 11:38 PM   #15
Sundreme

quote:Originally posted by chnt92.3fm:

But do you play him as much as the number of requests would seem to deem fitting?
Erica
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 11:18 AM   #16
chnt92.3

quote:Originally posted by Sundreme:
Erica
our station is community based so our hands are not tied,and being a gord fan im able to play
pre and post 70s gord.

Old 06-10-2001, 11:18 AM   #17
chnt92.3

quote:Originally posted by Sundreme:
Erica
our station is community based so our hands are not tied,and being a gord fan im able to play
pre and post 70s gord.

Old 06-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #18
Brenda

quote:Originally posted by Steve:

I can't comment on the East Coast, but even here out west his touring of the major cities in California is rather limited. He has not played the San Francisco Bay Area (including San Jose) for years, rarely hits Sacramento, and plays few major venues in Southern California. He does hit medium sized towns like Fresno and Bakersfield, but he can only play where the promoters will book him. Promoters in the major cities in California will not book him anymore. It is roughly the same in Oregon and Washington.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 03:06 PM   #19
Westernstar9

quote:Originally posted by Steve:

I can't comment on the East Coast, but even here out west his touring of the major cities in California is rather limited. He has not played the San Francisco Bay Area (including San Jose) for years, rarely hits Sacramento, and plays few major venues in Southern California. He does hit medium sized towns like Fresno and Bakersfield, but he can only play where the promoters will book him. Promoters in the major cities in California will not book him anymore. It is roughly the same in Oregon and Washington.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 04:23 PM   #20
mytoyota@earthlink.net

Chnt92.3fm,

What city is this radio station in? Do you broadcast on the web?
Thanks,
Kim

posted June 09, 2001 11:55

------------------
paperback dreams . . .
mytoyota@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 10:56 PM   #21
chnt92.3

quote:Originally posted by mytoyota@earthlink.net:
Chnt92.3fm,

Thanks,
Kim

were a small rural community in quebec. were all of 50 watts,thought air one of the better 70s request shows around

Old 06-14-2001, 10:56 PM   #22
chnt92.3

quote:Originally posted by mytoyota@earthlink.net:
Chnt92.3fm,

Thanks,
Kim

were a small rural community in quebec. were all of 50 watts,thought air one of the better 70s request shows around

Old 07-17-2001, 10:16 PM   #23
Simone

The way I understand it, Lightfoot went to Nashville in 1971 to see if his "style" fit into what was going on there at the time. It was there he recorded the "Summer Side of Life" LP with some of Nashville's biggest session men. They included Hargus "Pig" Robbins, Charlie McCoy, Roy "Junior" Husky, and Vassar Clements. If you listen to "Redwood Hill," the Nashville influence is very noticeable. I, for one am glad Lightfoot never did get a foothold in country music. I am a huge fan of older country, but have not listened to any in the last five years because it has gotten so bad. I admire the fact that Lightfoot is in a class by himself. "Timeless" is a great word to use. Sometimes he is a little country, but he is a whole lot of other things as well, and that is what I admire about him.
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:16 PM   #24
Chris in Virginia

The way I understand it, Lightfoot went to Nashville in 1971 to see if his "style" fit into what was going on there at the time. It was there he recorded the "Summer Side of Life" LP with some of Nashville's biggest session men. They included Hargus "Pig" Robbins, Charlie McCoy, Roy "Junior" Husky, and Vassar Clements. If you listen to "Redwood Hill," the Nashville influence is very noticeable. I, for one am glad Lightfoot never did get a foothold in country music. I am a huge fan of older country, but have not listened to any in the last five years because it has gotten so bad. I admire the fact that Lightfoot is in a class by himself. "Timeless" is a great word to use. Sometimes he is a little country, but he is a whole lot of other things as well, and that is what I admire about him.
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:04 PM   #25
joe markley

Great topic !!!!!!!!!!!!. But I don't agree. Todays country music reminds me of bad 70's pop. Formulated, mindless crap. Lightfoot simply is too good for that genre. Hell, he's had enough hits and made more money than he can ever spend. I think when all is said and done, his career and the integrity he's brought to it will stand very tall in the annals of music.

joe markley is offline   Reply With Quote