banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lead singer of DaveClarkFive has died

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

LONDON (AP) -- Dave Clark Five lead singer Mike Smith died of pneumonia Thursday, less than two weeks before the band is to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He was 64.

Mike Smith died less than two weeks before his band is to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Smith died at a hospital outside of London, his agent Margo Lewis said.

He was admitted to the intensive care unit Wednesday morning with a chest infection, a complication from a spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed below the ribcage with limited use of his upper body. Lewis said he was injured when he fell from a fence at his home in Spain in September 2003.

Smith had been in the hospital since the accident, and was just released last December when he moved into a specially prepared home near the hospital with his wife.

"These last five years were extremely difficult for Mike. I am incredibly saddened to lose him, his energy and his humor, but I am comforted by the fact that he had the chance to spend his final months and days at home with his loving wife Charlie," Lewis said.

Smith wrote songs as well as singing and playing keyboards for the Dave Clark Five, one of many British rock acts whose music swept across the United States in the 1960s during the so-called British Invasion.

The Beatles are the best remembered, of course, but at the time the Dave Clark Five posed the strongest threat, commercially and critically, to their pre-eminence.

The Dave Clark Five claimed a string of U.S. hits, including "Because," "Glad All Over," and "I Like it Like That." By 1966, the band had made 12 appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show," then a record for any British group.

The group's antics were captured in John Boorman's 1965 documentary "Catch Us If You Can," which followed Smith and his band mates through the English city of Bristol.

While the group -- which broke up in 1970 -- was named after him, Dave Clark himself was the drummer.

The group is going to be inducted in the rock hall on March 10, a ceremony Lewis said Smith was trying to attend.

"We're very unhappy about the whole situation -- it's sad," Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President Joel Peresman said.

He said the ceremony would go ahead as planned, but that there would be "a little extra significance this year."

Said Lewis: "He was extremely excited and honored to have been inducted ... and I am glad that he will be remembered as a hall of famer, because he was in so many ways."

Smith is survived by his wife, Arlene (nicknamed Charlie).
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Lead singer of DaveClarkFive has died

They were a great band, this is sad to know.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Oh how sad. The HoF induction will be bittersweet indeed. Always loved the energy of "Glad All Over" - sigh....
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
charlene

Dave Clark Five on CHUM Chart

1966 Toronto CHUM chart - almost 42 years ago..
week of September 19, 1966
CHUM's Pop Pix is of Gord - Spin Spin is climbing fast on the chart
That week it was at #31 and the previous week it was #40.
Also on the chart that weeks was The Dave Clark Five song - "Satisfied With You" at #26, dropping from #19 the previous week.
Also on the chart are Simon&Garfunkle, Dylan, Donovan, The Beatles, Sinatra, The 4 Tops, The Temptations, The Monkees, Roger Miller, Pozo Seco, Gerry&The Pacemakers, The Hollies, Neil Diamond, The Beach Boys and The Kinks!! omigoodness what a diverse group!

Note:on the back of the chart is a concert at Maple Leaf Gardens..one of the groups performing is Little Caesar and the Consuls..They performed last summer in Toronto at City Hall for CHUM's 50th anniversary..that Lightfoot guy showed up too..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966CHUMchartFront.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	903   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966CHUMchart.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoot-CHUM-Toronto-5-26-07 003.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoot-CHUM-Toronto-5-26-07 016.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoot-CHUM-Toronto-5-26-07 017.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	907  

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Borderstone

It's quite the irony for me. Dave Clark Five's "Over And Over" (#1 Dec. 1965) was the very last #1 song I collected of the rock era. It was Jan. 1991 at the time and that song had been on top just 25 years (& a few days) before. I have their 1960s "Best of LP" but i still want to have "all" of their hits.

I wonder if this incident will open the eyes of the people at The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame,in that,they should not wait so long to give these classic yet aging acts their due. Had they been inducted sooner,Mike Smith could be there.

Thanks for your fun songs,that I heard on oldies radio for the first time in the early 80s and may you rest in peace.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
Nightingale

I am really sorry to hear about this. They were such a great band and one of the very first that I fell in love with.

I agree with you Borderstone. It really is a shame that he won't be there for his night of glory. He deserved to see how much people loved him and appreciated his contribution to the world of music.

May he rest in peace and my prayers and thoughts are with his loved ones.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
It's quite the irony for me. Dave Clark Five's "Over And Over" (#1 Dec. 1965) was the very last #1 song I collected of the rock era. It was Jan. 1991 at the time and that song had been on top just 25 years (& a few days) before. I have their 1960s "Best of LP" but i still want to have "all" of their hits.

I wonder if this incident will open the eyes of the people at The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame,in that,they should not wait so long to give these classic yet aging acts their due. Had they been inducted sooner,Mike Smith could be there.

Thanks for your fun songs,that I heard on oldies radio for the first time in the early 80s and may you rest in peace.
Same thing happened with Dusty Springfield.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote