banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
jbt1976

On Linus's website. It's great!
jbt1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
Next Saturday

On Linus's website. It's great!
________
vapor genie vaporizer

Last edited by Next Saturday; 01-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Next Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

Yes, real well done. Gord looks good - are the 'inspiration ladies' in the video family members? Meredith? His grand-daughter?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

Yes, real well done. Gord looks good - are the 'inspiration ladies' in the video family members? Meredith? His grand-daughter?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
rainydayperson

What it say's at Linus Entertainment...ya gotta go there and check it out...wonderful! www.linusentertainment.com (great echo, great strings)

Harmony is Gordon Lightfoot’s 20th album. A stunning collection of new and previously unreleased songs which he has been working on over the last two years. Gordon underwent serious health problems in 2002 and 2003, having literally to stop writing and touring. He was felled, during a concert in his hometown of Orillia, Ontario by a burst artery, had emergency surgery and was in a coma for six weeks. Gordon is still recovering but much improved and very excited about the release of the album.

The story is told by Gordon himself in the liner notes of Harmony: “In early September of 2002 I was playing a two day event in my birthplace of Orillia, Ontario, when felled by an burst artery followed by total blackness. The fall tour was cancelled. When I awoke from that dark slumber a few weeks later, the hospital was already being prepped for Hallowe'en. Even the post operative discomfort had passed. My memory and my thinking felt pretty much normal as my mind recalled a day in the distant past when a muse would say, "don't spin your wheels". The problem right now was mechanical failure. After the visitations of family and friends had been accomplished and put into perspective, I started asking myself how I might go about picking up the slack in my current condition with a bloodshot eye on the future when bingo, I was back in the past, back to the music of course. It's the only real refuge I'd ever had anyway. I remembered months before, having recorded on multi-track, a considerable number of fresh songs, with guitar and vocal only, at two solo sessions in the recording studio. Perhaps my radar was telling me to get ready for a rainy day, I don't know. I remembered that quite a few of those performances had sounded reasonably valid at the time and wondered if they would hold up under scrutiny now, almost a year later. Thoughts about orchestration began entering my mind. We could pick out the best of the practice tracks and use them as basic tracks.”

Producer Bob Doidge and Gordon’s band went to work on the recordings, overdubbing parts and bringing their work to Gordon in the hospital for his approval and changes. The result is Harmony. The title track is a truly haunting ballad, followed by the traveling tale of River Of Light. The first single Inspiration Lady is yet another inspiring ballad of love and adoration. The album ends on a song of hope and dreaming with the song Sometimes I Wish.

Harmony will be released May 11th, simultaneously in Canada on Linus/Warner and in the USA on SpinART/Ryko. Gordon just spent a day filming scenes for his new video Inspiration Lady which will be released to radio and television in March 2004. Following another round of reconstructive surgery, Gordon should be ready to continue touring again by the end of 2004.

Since emerging from the Toronto folk club scene in the early ‘60s, Gordon Lightfoot has recorded 19 albums (14 for Warner Bros. or Reprise Records). He has had five Grammy nominations and has won 17 Juno Awards in his native Canada. In 1970, in recognition of his contributions in furthering Canadian culture, he received the prestigious Order of Canada citation; in November 1997 he was presented the Governor General’s Award—the highest official Canadian honor, which is conferred on very few (Joni Mitchell is another) for their international efforts in spreading Canadian culture. Gordon was also honored as a charter member of Canada’s Walk of Fame and most recently was elevated to the "companion" of the Order of Canada (highest level) in December. Gordon also was just inducted into The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

“Gordon Lightfoot, everytime I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever. "
Bob Dylan

"I don't think anybody before or since has had the impact on Canadian culture, through popular music or folk music, that Gordon Lightfoot has had."
Ian Tyson

"I've always been trying to write songs like Lightfoot. A song of mine like 'Come Monday' is a direct result of me trying to write a Gordon Lightfoot song."
Jimmy Buffett

"Canadian Railroad Trilogy is an extremely fine piece of songwriting. "
Johnny Cash

"Gordon Lightfoot looms pretty large in my life as a writer and an artist in general. I never travel anywhere without at least two of his records with me."
Ron Sexsmith

"Lightfoot's voice is such a part of the fabric of Canada, I know it almost as well as I know my own voice."
David Foster

But besides his albums, Lightfoot has composed a catalog of classic hits—for himself and varied others. The list of artists who have recorded Lightfoot’s songs include Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Sarah McLachlan, Barbra Streisand, Peter Paul & Mary, Harry Belafonte, Jane’s Addiction, Ian & Sylvia, Richie Havens, Glen Campbell, Anne Murray, Nana Mouskouri, , and George Hamilton IV.

Gordon sums up his thoughts about Harmony in the album liner notes: "In the final analysis, the job was what mattered. It was good being preoccupied in a very constructive way with a project in the works; one which would carry itself forward, right up through the artwork and editorial, until it's ultimate completion. A feeling of confidence was in the air. Meanwhile, the simple practice tracks had served us well, and for the first time ever, I had an opportunity to proceed with an album while lying on my back."

rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
classicmixdj

What it say's at Linus Entertainment...ya gotta go there and check it out...wonderful! www.linusentertainment.com (great echo, great strings)

Harmony is Gordon Lightfoot’s 20th album. A stunning collection of new and previously unreleased songs which he has been working on over the last two years. Gordon underwent serious health problems in 2002 and 2003, having literally to stop writing and touring. He was felled, during a concert in his hometown of Orillia, Ontario by a burst artery, had emergency surgery and was in a coma for six weeks. Gordon is still recovering but much improved and very excited about the release of the album.

The story is told by Gordon himself in the liner notes of Harmony: “In early September of 2002 I was playing a two day event in my birthplace of Orillia, Ontario, when felled by an burst artery followed by total blackness. The fall tour was cancelled. When I awoke from that dark slumber a few weeks later, the hospital was already being prepped for Hallowe'en. Even the post operative discomfort had passed. My memory and my thinking felt pretty much normal as my mind recalled a day in the distant past when a muse would say, "don't spin your wheels". The problem right now was mechanical failure. After the visitations of family and friends had been accomplished and put into perspective, I started asking myself how I might go about picking up the slack in my current condition with a bloodshot eye on the future when bingo, I was back in the past, back to the music of course. It's the only real refuge I'd ever had anyway. I remembered months before, having recorded on multi-track, a considerable number of fresh songs, with guitar and vocal only, at two solo sessions in the recording studio. Perhaps my radar was telling me to get ready for a rainy day, I don't know. I remembered that quite a few of those performances had sounded reasonably valid at the time and wondered if they would hold up under scrutiny now, almost a year later. Thoughts about orchestration began entering my mind. We could pick out the best of the practice tracks and use them as basic tracks.”

Producer Bob Doidge and Gordon’s band went to work on the recordings, overdubbing parts and bringing their work to Gordon in the hospital for his approval and changes. The result is Harmony. The title track is a truly haunting ballad, followed by the traveling tale of River Of Light. The first single Inspiration Lady is yet another inspiring ballad of love and adoration. The album ends on a song of hope and dreaming with the song Sometimes I Wish.

Harmony will be released May 11th, simultaneously in Canada on Linus/Warner and in the USA on SpinART/Ryko. Gordon just spent a day filming scenes for his new video Inspiration Lady which will be released to radio and television in March 2004. Following another round of reconstructive surgery, Gordon should be ready to continue touring again by the end of 2004.

Since emerging from the Toronto folk club scene in the early ‘60s, Gordon Lightfoot has recorded 19 albums (14 for Warner Bros. or Reprise Records). He has had five Grammy nominations and has won 17 Juno Awards in his native Canada. In 1970, in recognition of his contributions in furthering Canadian culture, he received the prestigious Order of Canada citation; in November 1997 he was presented the Governor General’s Award—the highest official Canadian honor, which is conferred on very few (Joni Mitchell is another) for their international efforts in spreading Canadian culture. Gordon was also honored as a charter member of Canada’s Walk of Fame and most recently was elevated to the "companion" of the Order of Canada (highest level) in December. Gordon also was just inducted into The Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

“Gordon Lightfoot, everytime I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever. "
Bob Dylan

"I don't think anybody before or since has had the impact on Canadian culture, through popular music or folk music, that Gordon Lightfoot has had."
Ian Tyson

"I've always been trying to write songs like Lightfoot. A song of mine like 'Come Monday' is a direct result of me trying to write a Gordon Lightfoot song."
Jimmy Buffett

"Canadian Railroad Trilogy is an extremely fine piece of songwriting. "
Johnny Cash

"Gordon Lightfoot looms pretty large in my life as a writer and an artist in general. I never travel anywhere without at least two of his records with me."
Ron Sexsmith

"Lightfoot's voice is such a part of the fabric of Canada, I know it almost as well as I know my own voice."
David Foster

But besides his albums, Lightfoot has composed a catalog of classic hits—for himself and varied others. The list of artists who have recorded Lightfoot’s songs include Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Sarah McLachlan, Barbra Streisand, Peter Paul & Mary, Harry Belafonte, Jane’s Addiction, Ian & Sylvia, Richie Havens, Glen Campbell, Anne Murray, Nana Mouskouri, , and George Hamilton IV.

Gordon sums up his thoughts about Harmony in the album liner notes: "In the final analysis, the job was what mattered. It was good being preoccupied in a very constructive way with a project in the works; one which would carry itself forward, right up through the artwork and editorial, until it's ultimate completion. A feeling of confidence was in the air. Meanwhile, the simple practice tracks had served us well, and for the first time ever, I had an opportunity to proceed with an album while lying on my back."

classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
seahawk11

Sounds really good...a little like All The Lovely Ladies mixed with Ring Them Bells...man, what a great day...got a free download from Pepsi and downloaded River of Light...I had no idea how much I missed this guy...
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #8
Rosanna

Just downloaded some samples......it's FANTASTIC
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Doug Letcher

Just downloaded some samples......it's FANTASTIC
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #10
vykaniema

wow, I think I'm gonna cry

that was awesome!!
Old 03-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #11
Porter

wow, I think I'm gonna cry

that was awesome!!
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
seahawk11

I almost did cry...I blamed my red eyes on hayfever...
seahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote