banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
JackieColtac

Hello all!

Reading the accouts of Gord's concerts last week was wondering how Gord's guitar playing is now.

I was at 3 of the 4 Massey concerts. Enjoyed them immensely. But was also sad. Not because of the vocals, which on Friday and Saturday I thought were just fine, but was sad that he was unable to finger pick. The strumming was vintage Gord. But it was strange. I was in the front row. His fingers were all moving, but only his thumb was actually striking the strings. In most songs you could not hear the difference. Great band and great improvising by Gord. But in songs with significant six string finger picking it was noticeble. Sit Down Yong Stranger would be the best example. As a guitar payer, mostly because of gord's music, it made me very sad. Though I should add, he never let on any frustration, which amazed me.

Be interested to know if things have improved. I really hope so...Gord, of all people, should be able to play wel!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
banjobench12

Hello all!

Reading the accouts of Gord's concerts last week was wondering how Gord's guitar playing is now.

I was at 3 of the 4 Massey concerts. Enjoyed them immensely. But was also sad. Not because of the vocals, which on Friday and Saturday I thought were just fine, but was sad that he was unable to finger pick. The strumming was vintage Gord. But it was strange. I was in the front row. His fingers were all moving, but only his thumb was actually striking the strings. In most songs you could not hear the difference. Great band and great improvising by Gord. But in songs with significant six string finger picking it was noticeble. Sit Down Yong Stranger would be the best example. As a guitar payer, mostly because of gord's music, it made me very sad. Though I should add, he never let on any frustration, which amazed me.

Be interested to know if things have improved. I really hope so...Gord, of all people, should be able to play wel!
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Banjo - sad sometimes for us; I think a joy mostly for Gord and folks like me who are just overjoyed he's still playing. I know what you mean , though.

We all get old - hey - there is a truism I swore I don't like to use. Good thoughtful post Banjo.
geo Steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Peter Bro10

Banjo, Do you realize you had fantastic seats at the ultimate Gord venue? To experience multiple performances... Wow! I'm turning a mild shade of green here!!!

I hate to admit it, but geo Steve is right, we all get older, provided of coarse we're still alive. I would have to admit that I'm not the young straping studly I once was. I'm sad about that too!! lol

Reality check here... the dude suffered a transeint (sp?) stroke in the midst of a tour(2006), but never canceled a single show. Instead, they improvised and adjusted and did mighty fine, all things considered.

I can't answer your question directly, but it sounds, from reading recent posts of recent concerts, that his picking is improving.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote