banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 05-02-2000, 12:13 PM   #1
Woman's World Magazine

I am a researcher for Woman's World magazine, and I read about you in the Toronto Star. The magazine may be interested in doing a story about you. Please send an e-mail to me at nminikes@bauerpublishing.com. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2000, 01:06 PM   #2
Florian

For those of you who want to catch up on this story:
This article appeared in the Toronto Star on March 22nd, 2000:

Internet friend saves man's life
Gordon Lightfoot fans plan to wed, want him there
By Betsy Powell
Toronto Star Entertainment Reporter

[i]"If you could read my e-mail . . ." [i]

Canadian singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot might want to consider changing the lyrics to his '60s hit "If You Could Read My Mind" after one of his fans saved the life of another while chatting on a Lightfoot Web site.
Engineer John Fowles of Sherborne, a village of 9,000 in Dorset, was in a chatroom with fellow Lightfoot devotee Susan Harrigan of New Jersey when his typing became irregular.
"My leg had been funny all day, and my left arm, and that night we had a regular chat session going," Fowles said yesterday from Dorset County Hospital.
Harrigan, a social worker and former stroke rehabilitation worker, knew something was wrong with Fowles. The couple met last November in Toronto while attending one of Lightfoot's semi-regular Massey Hall concerts.
"She said it `sounds like you've had a stroke. You better get to the hospital or phone a doctor,' " Fowles recalled of the Jan. 30 incident.
Fowles called a nearby emergency ward and was admitted that night to hospital, where a scan confirmed Harrigan's diagnosis.
He's been recovering there ever since.
"I'm getting around in an electric wheelchair," he said.
When Harrigan, 44, flew to England to visit her cyberspace patient, Fowles, who turned 59 last week, proposed marriage. Now the couple wants to invite Lightfoot to their nuptials, planned for late June in England.
"It would be fantastic, wouldn't it?" said Fowles, who became a fan of Lightfoot after seeing the singer in a Montreal coffee shop during Expo '67. Fowles lived in Montreal for six years and became a Canadian citizen.
Lightfoot is on tour in the northeastern United States and couldn't be reached for comment.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2000, 02:00 PM   #3
potter

Awesome story! Proof positive that Lightfoot fans are of a kindred spirit. I invited two celebs to my wedding, GL and Sean Connery,unfortunately neither responded, they probably receive numerous invitations from their droves of faithful fans.

I did, however, have GL played throughout the entire dinner hour of my reception. He sounded great on the wedding video.

have a great day.

potter

potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

trying to find something else I refound this
today. For the record we never responded to Woman's World but Gord was well aware that the Toronto Star reporter had tried to contact him and no Gord was too busy with the Reno video to come to our wedding in Sherborne, Dorset, England in June 2000
(I had this dream of using my story for publicity for Gord so that he'd decide to tour the UK again not having done so since 1981. In 1999 I told him he should fly by Concorde but the following year one crashed in France!!!
John Fowles, Most happy now in New Jersey
Added 2 May 2011
Later still Gord mentioned somewhere (on stage I think whilst introducing "If Children Had Wings") that when Brita was in Europe with the two childrren he had flown over on s Concorde to see them

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-02-2011 at 02:33 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
brink

Great story John, I had no idea that happened to you. You certainly lead an eventful life! Good that you and Susan found each other or your story could have had a very different ending.

edited for spelling!

[ November 25, 2005, 15:48: Message edited by: brink ]
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Oma

Wow, what a neat story! I hope you are doing well...both of you!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
Char1

John and Susan are THE most adorable couple - toooo cute for words!
Their story is better than a Hollywood movie and I am so happy they can be counted as my friends.
Char
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Further to my "fantasies posting I just refound this topic in which somebody named "Florian" very kindly reproduced the text of The Toronto Star article whilst it was online for a short while
John Fowles
OK I'll shut up now!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
Sydney Steve

Our John wrote:
Quote:
Further to my "fantasies posting I just refound this topic in which somebody named "Florian" very kindly reproduced the text of The Toronto Star article whilst it was online for a short while
John Fowles
OK I'll shut up now!!
When "The Master" , our John shuts up we know it is time to listen !
This post's content in my opinion is not only the best (to my knowledge on Corfid) but in the running for one of the very best stories on the cyberwaves anywhere at any time.
Our Corfiders were understandably keen to tell me this wonderful story (in hushed tones) when I first got to know them a few months back . It is a fairytale for the cyber age... ...
Onya Susan & John !

[ November 26, 2005, 04:30: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]