banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Borderstone

I have just come from Ebay to discover that,I have won the bidding war on:
"Lightfoot at Montreax 1976"!!

For a mere $20.00 + shipping etc.

Your currently witnessing one lightheaded "Lighthead"!! :D LOL! Whoo-hoo!!

Awesome! This summer just keeps on gettin' better!
Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #2
joveski

you got gyped.... its a bootleg and people trade it freely
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:49 AM   #3
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

Jov - is there a list of bootlegs you know of so that we can know with certainty that a given CD is money out of Lightfoot's pocket ?

- something none of us want to do ? ( gyp GL)

I would not have known that the Montreaux CD is a bootleg. If nobody here is sure, I bet W. Francis' sight would have a list of illegals so we can avoid innocent, accidental (but exciting ) purchases ?

No reflection on you B-stone - I would have bought it too, w/o knowing, and been really excited, and in good conscience.

If no list of *bad* CD's, then maybe the null argument - is there a criteria for categorically rejecting a Lightfoot recording or compendium/rehash that we can purchase with confidence by applying ?

geo steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

naive me - just occurred to me expos factos that at any given time, such a list would be instantly moot.

because... at any concert, any wanker could do a stereo Nakamichi-type recording; spin-off a quick 1000 or so CD's; and sell 'em at the magic $19.95 plus shipping and "handling" S & H - spinning and hustling.

man am I naive. sometimes, I think I would be sharper if I was quicker to think like a Machiavellian.

To much confidence in my fellow man? The sellers are stealing from Gord. And I would not have known myself if this had not come up.

geo steve
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Some, but not all, of the above MAY be true but you'll still like the CD when you get it B.

This topic has been done a lot in the past but since we're currently 'down' active posters let's see what response this gets. I can see your point gs, if it was a copy of a CD currently offered for legitimate sale. But trading a copy of a concert that never was, and never will be, for sale by GL seems a different thing altogether. It may not be legal but GL can't be losing money on a 1976 concert sold to someone who has purchased every other 'real' CD and would buy it from GL if he was inclined to sell it which he seems not to be. I am not a trader but I have been gifted a few rarities over the years. I would happily buy them from GL but they're not for sale.

I support his career however I can through CD purchases and concert attendance, etc. and when he decides, like others have done, to package his "bootleg series" I will gladly pay for that too.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
TheWatchman

Eventhough it's traded freely, it's still worth some money because it's a recording from a live feed from the soundboard; the quality is fantastic. It's quality is the same that you could expect from buying a live CD in the store (a little more raw, less cleaned up version).

Now B, you can listen firsthand to the off-key backing vocals on several of the tracks. Lightfoot's voice is about the best I've ever heard though.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
DJ in MJ

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Now B, you can listen firsthand to the off-key backing vocals on several of the tracks.
Yes, the backing vocals do sound off-key, but apparently they weren't. Someone had a technical explanation for the reason the sound is deceptive, but I am not musically inclined enough to recall why.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by David (djb):
quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Now B, you can listen firsthand to the off-key backing vocals on several of the tracks.
Yes, the backing vocals do sound off-key, but apparently they weren't. Someone had a technical explanation for the reason the sound is deceptive, but I am not musically inclined enough to recall why. [/QUOTE]right David. you were possibly thinking of Richard's reply to a to a thread on the Newsgroup that starts at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...5a79e46?hl=en&
one posting by andy "glutomota" Thompson reads
"Yeah! and, due to some poor mixing, you get to hear Terry and Rick's 'backing
vocals' at a volume they never were intended to be played at. (this is back
when they miked Terry and Rick's vocals) Some people this this detracts from
the performance, others think it adds something. Its only noticable on a few
songs, and I happen to like it. "
when you have read the opening postings click "show options" and then select "view thread"
and go to the 8th posting which is at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...0009a19?hl=en&
" I plead guilty to the *poor* mixing at Montreux. In those days Gord liked
the harmonies more up front, but not at ensemble level as in a group like the
Byrds. What I found interesting about the venue was that - unlike a normal
concert hall with two main speaker stacks, the room had roof support columns
with multi-directional speakers attached to each column- some 30-40 in all.
When I first walked in, I thought *This is never going to work* (no bass - 8"
speakers). But it did and,to my surprise, I got quite good sound out of it,
IMHO.
--
All the Best,
Richard Harison"
a later posting opines
"As far as why Rick and Terry are not miked any more, if you
ask them why, they just laugh. I think the thought is that if they sing loud
enough, they will be picked up by the other mics on stage. I wish we could hear
them a bit better myself.
Jenney"
John Fowles
P.S.There used to be a web page that listed the songs played.It is no longer there but it was archived by the Wayback Machine at:-
http://www,wayback,notlong.com
and may now be seen at:-
http://web.archive.org/web/200107271...e/1976/337.htm
Note that this is the accurate date and setlist.
I have seen artwork with a terribly gaudy and inappropriate front cover and the back inlay has the wrong year (it says 1977 not 1976)
and 2 glaring song title errors
Cobwebs And Dust s/be Don Quixote
Garden Rag s/be The Auctioneer
I have just found some superior artwork
Note garden rag was poosibly so titled due to this being a Jazz Festival!!

[ July 06, 2006, 11:07: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #9
RM

BILLW,

I think you're absolutely right on this one.

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by David (djb):
Yes, the backing vocals do sound off-key, but apparently they weren't. Someone had a technical explanation for the reason the sound is deceptive, but I am not musically inclined enough to recall why.

The backing vocals sounded off key because that's how they were sung.

If I'm singing into a microphone and singing way out-of-tune, it's going to sound out-of-tune. Makes no difference if the volume is set at high or low, the only difference that makes is how much people are going to hear me.

From what I just read, it was mixed improperly because the volume of Rick and or Terry's microphones should have been reduced so the off-key singing would be blended in and not so obvious.

I'm afraid to say whether or not I even have this CD, but I have heard it before and the off key singing doesn't enhance anything as far as my ears are concerned.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

The same Brooklyn seller that Walter got his Montreux from has surprise surprise!! sprung back immediately with another copy but this time with the rather lower "buy it now" price of US $11.50 plus Shipping costs: US $2.45
He/she has been doing this for months together with his (allegedly imported) Chicago 1973 PBS CD.
I am surprised that nobody has found a way of stopping this exploitation already already
John
It's quite OK after all he/she piously declares that all profits will go to a charity yeah right!!
and then he/she adds "Acceptance of your bid is contingent on your not distributing this CD in any fashion except for personal copies."
so that's all right then!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
TheWatchman

I know that the Johnny Cash estate just about wiped out all forms of infringement on eBay. No matter if it's big or small, if they catch wind of something, they go after it bent of getting it removed.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Mark Knopfler's policy in regards to bootlegs is the best show of fan appreciation. He has no problem with fans coming to his shows and recording or filming them, just so they don't ask to get a live feed because that will never happen. He said he likes to see all the little red lights staring up at him while playing and he knows that anybody that would record something already has everything officially released anyway.

Perhaps Lightfoot can do something like this.
http://www.crowflymusic.com/knopfler/ Clean up some older live performances, or even the upcoming Massey shows...

I've purchased 2 concerts, and one of them I purchased a 2nd time because I reached the maximum amount of burns. The Nashville show blows away, and I mean blows off the face of the map any live recording I've ever bought as an official release. Eventhough it's a digital download, it's very, very clean and crisp. Burning at 1x (if your burner will not burn @ 1x, then 4x max) will preserve the quality.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
Jesse Joe

Hey, good for you Borderstone. I myself do have that one plus a whole lot more from 1967 to today.

There very enjoyable, makes you wonder why GL doesn't, put some of those on his CD's, to sell in stores. I guess he doesn't have too. Im sure they would sell like hot-cakes, or pan -cakes?

But it's like John said, someone is profiting of the lightfoot music.

Many people have all of those but for free. "The money goes to some charity," :D Yeah, like strait in there pockets.

[ July 07, 2006, 06:07: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #14
joveski

there's a list of common bootlegs here:
http://www.lightfoot.ca/bootlegs.htm

there are also other various audience recordings around.
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
RM

TheWatchman,

That's an interesting idea.

A while back, on another site, there was an offering of his 1987 New York Folk Festival performance, audio only. It was great. Why he wouldn't want to profit from such items is beyond me. Of course, there may be legalities that I'm unaware of.

RMD
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #16
Borderstone

Well,first of all..I just noticed Watchman's back,big welcome home to you.

Second,it's not my intention at all to take profit away from Gordon. I noticed it on Ebay and I simply had to have it.

I apologize to him profoundly,whether he's looking in here or not. It'll be nice to have some "live" GL from the '70 though.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #17
Borderstone

Quick update on this,the 2 CD's arrived on Aug. 17th. I must have very different ears,because it sounds wonderful to me.

By the way,the seller contactd me by E-Mail saying the price was not correct. It was supposed to be listed as $10.00 + shipping etc.) So I didn't get gypped.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #18
Jesse Joe

Very good, very happy for yoy Bstone.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote