banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
DMD3

This topic was brought up some time ago but never was explained to well but what was wrong with the original version of this song(Back Here On Earth CD)? I've looked for this CD twice and the store hasn't had any but curiosity is killing me. Could someone explain how it sounded bad?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
DMD3

This topic was brought up some time ago but never was explained to well but what was wrong with the original version of this song(Back Here On Earth CD)? I've looked for this CD twice and the store hasn't had any but curiosity is killing me. Could someone explain how it sounded bad?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I don't think anyone ever said it sounded bad. Lightfoot just chose to rerecord it later, with a different updated arrangement much like the other songs he was recording in the late 70s. He obviously thought that the song would sound good recorded in this updated manner, and would be well received. The song was on a single, and it charted, so I'd say he made a good decision. But many of his fans enjoy his 1960s recordings (all of them), and there was certainly nothing wrong with the earlier recording of The Circle Is Small.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
joveski

for some reason i actually prefer the Back Here On Earth version over the re-recorded one. dunno why
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #5
2Much2Lose

I prefer the original recording also. It may be just because that's the version I heard first. I've always felt the re recording dragged a bit, at least in my mind. The original has a bit more of an acoustic feel which I enjoy.
Jenney
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #6
Jenney

I prefer the original recording also. It may be just because that's the version I heard first. I've always felt the re recording dragged a bit, at least in my mind. The original has a bit more of an acoustic feel which I enjoy.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #7
Borderstone

I like them both. They're both quite unique. DMD3,the original is mostly just Gord on acoustic and not much else. While he does sing it with his usual flair,it seemed to me like it needed just a little more background mood. I still like it,though. The 1978 version reached #33 in March of that year. His last top 40,darn it! Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone (An,"Avid Listner" of G.L.)
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Wesley

1 thing that's interesting about the song is the song title was only repeated once. Did anyone ever think the song was called It's Alright For Some or I can See it In Your Eyes or whatever it is. It's probably an easy mistake to make with a song like that.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #9
Affair on Touhy Ave.

1 thing that's interesting about the song is the song title was only repeated once. Did anyone ever think the song was called It's Alright For Some or I can See it In Your Eyes or whatever it is. It's probably an easy mistake to make with a song like that.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
Erika

I think the lyrical changes of the 70s version were bad moves, but the instrumentation/arrangement of the 70s version is absolutely brilliant.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
Travis

I think the lyrical changes of the 70s version were bad moves, but the instrumentation/arrangement of the 70s version is absolutely brilliant.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
Glenmark

The original is rather spartanly produced, as with many of the United Artists tracks (that's an observation, not a complaint). The later version is very lush and rich, with full orchestration and background vocals accompanying the chorus, which then drops out on the verses. I like the latter version better because of its dramatic quality. Gord re-recorded it for Endless Wire because he had long thought he could do it better.
Glenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
charlene

Glenmark - do you have the article/interview where Gord talks about why he re-recorded it?
I'd be interested to read it. I can't recall reading it in any of my stuff but it may have been in a U.S. magazine or newspaper article.
thanks,
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #14
charlene

Glenmark - do you have the article/interview where Gord talks about why he re-recorded it?
I'd be interested to read it. I can't recall reading it in any of my stuff but it may have been in a U.S. magazine or newspaper article.
thanks,
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #15
New 12 String Mike

Doesn't he say something about it in the Songbook notes? I believe it is something about liking the way he sang the second version better than the first one.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #16
<glenmark>

Charlene, I think I may have read it in the notes to the "Greatest Hits" CD, which includes the later version of the song. If not there, then I probably came across it in one of the articles made available through this site or the Lightfoot! site.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
<glenmark>

Charlene, I think I may have read it in the notes to the "Greatest Hits" CD, which includes the later version of the song. If not there, then I probably came across it in one of the articles made available through this site or the Lightfoot! site.