banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
charlene

Default REDDIT CONVERSATION with Gordon last night - AMA

CONVERSATION with Gordon last night: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...iter_for_over/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: CONVERSATION with Gordon last night

I thoroughly enjoyed that thanks Char
but it needs some explanation
I strongly suspect that Char found out about it on
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2014/08/22/gordon_lightfoot_10_things_you_might_not_know_abou t_him.html
which has a very nice photo that is pretty well ready for use as the basis of a CD jewel case insert

Basically I had never heard of REDDIT AMA before so I googled it the first thing I learned was that A M A is an acronym for Ask Me Anything.

I found one good article at Forbes.com from 2012
Inside the Reddit AMA: The Interview Revolution That Has Everyone Talking

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanholiday/2012/05/01/inside-the-reddit-ama-the-interview-revolution-that-has-everyone-talking/

I got better info as often happens by adding "wïki" to my
search term
and found
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit
which has a section on sub-reddits
"Reddit entries are organized into areas of interest called "subreddits". One of the most popular subreddits is IAmA ("I Am A") where a user may post "AMAs" (for "Ask Me Anything"), or similarly "AMAAs" ( for "Ask Me Almost Anything") – prompts for others to ask questions about any topic. AMAs are open to all Reddit users, and use the site's comment system for both questions and answers; it is similar to a press conference, but online. This subreddit was founded in May 2009.
A number of notable individuals have participated in the IAmA subreddit, including President Barzck Obama (while campaigning for the 2012 electionl"
My comments
For starters I am astonished that Gord did it as it seems to be very much an "Internet thing",
so did Meredith put him up to it I wonder? or Char or maybe Kim??

There are of course many good quotes from his responses
I particularly liked this to a questioner who "recently moved to Toronto from Australia"
"I had a responsibility. So I kept writing. That's what kept me writing. I wanted to be right where i am right now - I'm 75 years of age, and I'm excited about getting back on the road right now! I've been on the road my entire life, but I've been off the road 8 weeks, I just got 8 weeks off, so I'm really excited about getting back. We got off in the middle of June and almost took the summer off - we did some amphitheater dates in the month of July, yea, down in the Northeast, The Wolf Trap and places like that.
Okay, okay! I love the work that we do! We'll come back to Australia sometime''
So for all of you in that other Melbourne there is still a vague hope!
BUT BUT (a bucket of ice-cold water is in order here) I well remember him saying when I first met him backstage at Msssey in November 1999 and said I'd had to come to Toronto since he did not seem likely to play the UK again
(Or words to that effect)
"We gotta get back to England"
He is probably no more likely to fly overseas again than a porker

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Borderstone

WOW! That was

Didn't get through all of it but when I've more time at the library,I'll try to finish it all.

Is this an ongoing thing or just one night?
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Rob1956

Ok, so is the reason that Gord never got sued for substantial similarity because the song is so old that it's passed on to public domain? Or is the composer listed as "traditional", therefore there is no one to bring a lawsuit? It seems only fair since Gord sued the composer of the Whitney Houston song as being substantially similar to IYCRMM. Just wondering...
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Melissa

That was a great read. Thanks for posting that, Char. Very gracious of him to take the time to do that. But, hey, who could be surprised at Gord being gracious!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
paskatefan

Wow! Il oved reading this. There were a few questions/comments that were ridiculous (in the sense of being crude), but most of them were either funny or thoughtful. I must say I was delighted about his admiration for Bryan Adams (another favorite of mine).
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote