banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Barry Shanley

I am just amazed at how good the Harmony release is. Wow! EVERY song is sneaky good. I mean they grow on you the more you listen.

Ive been listening to it for a couple of days now and I can't stop! In my truck, the sitting room, out back of the house...it's that good.

I bought the cd last January but, sorry to say, I kind of mothballed it. I listened to it then, but for some strange reason it didn't impress me.

Last week I started reading these threads again and I was encouraged to revisit the last 5 releases. Consequently, Harmony is now one of my top 10 GL releases. I wanted to create a rating list but after "End Of All Time" there's just a big log jam. I love them all! "End Of All Time" is just awesome!

The melodies are vintage! That's probably what impresses me most. How many artists (even prolific ones) fade away because they just lose it. I thought GL had lost it but that wouldn't have taken away my esteem for him. I'm amazed at his creative drive.

I think he hit a homerun here and my esteem for him is again broadened.

[ August 16, 2006, 20:08: Message edited by: marc in maine ]
Barry Shanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
marc in maine

I am just amazed at how good the Harmony release is. Wow! EVERY song is sneaky good. I mean they grow on you the more you listen.

Ive been listening to it for a couple of days now and I can't stop! In my truck, the sitting room, out back of the house...it's that good.

I bought the cd last January but, sorry to say, I kind of mothballed it. I listened to it then, but for some strange reason it didn't impress me.

Last week I started reading these threads again and I was encouraged to revisit the last 5 releases. Consequently, Harmony is now one of my top 10 GL releases. I wanted to create a rating list but after "End Of All Time" there's just a big log jam. I love them all! "End Of All Time" is just awesome!

The melodies are vintage! That's probably what impresses me most. How many artists (even prolific ones) fade away because they just lose it. I thought GL had lost it but that wouldn't have taken away my esteem for him. I'm amazed at his creative drive.

I think he hit a homerun here and my esteem for him is again broadened.

[ August 16, 2006, 20:08: Message edited by: marc in maine ]
marc in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Derrida

I was also pleasantly surprised with the Harmony release....wasn't sure what to expect with his illness and all. But he nailed it. Couldn't agree more with your comment about the melodies. VERY fresh and interesting. And it has grown on me as well. Did you see (and enjoy) the Inspiration Lady video? Very simple but touching production.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
habsfan1

I was also pleasantly surprised with the Harmony release....wasn't sure what to expect with his illness and all. But he nailed it. Couldn't agree more with your comment about the melodies. VERY fresh and interesting. And it has grown on me as well. Did you see (and enjoy) the Inspiration Lady video? Very simple but touching production.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Barry Shanley

Yes I saw it and was touched. I thought the progression from the older woman in the beginning to the sweet little tot was especially moving. That's a song that I can keep.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
marc in maine

Yes I saw it and was touched. I thought the progression from the older woman in the beginning to the sweet little tot was especially moving. That's a song that I can keep.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I think Gord got into a rut that gets a lot of musicians... overproduction, during his mid to late '80s CDs. Both APPT and Harmony seem to be a return to his acoustic roots.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Barry Shanley

Yes Cathy. He may have produced at a time when he wasn't good. I believe the rut that Gord got into was the pitfalls of aging but he has taken courage and adjusted to the circumstances dealt to him. He produced again!
Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
marc in maine

Yes Cathy. He may have produced at a time when he wasn't good. I believe the rut that Gord got into was the pitfalls of aging but he has taken courage and adjusted to the circumstances dealt to him. He produced again!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

But it's pitfalls that make the good times seem so good. What makes WFY so good is hearing it after we thought Gord was going to retire after he produced EOM.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
Barry Shanley

What makes "Waiting For You" so good? Waiting for another release?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #12
marc in maine

What makes "Waiting For You" so good? Waiting for another release?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #13
Jesse Joe

Harmony great CD, when he got out of his coma, he would listen to tracks, they were brigning him, in his hospital bed, with headphone of course. He had a lots of time to say the final word about it. Maybe is why it's so good?
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

Harmony great CD, when he got out of his coma, he would listen to tracks, they were brigning him, in his hospital bed, with headphone of course. He had a lots of time to say the final word about it. Maybe is why it's so good?
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote