banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #26
Gitchigumee

This is no lie, I tried changing a lightbulb last night, but alas, I was out of lightbulbs, and so I am still in the dark.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #27
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:
This is no lie, I tried changing a lightbulb last night, but alas, I was out of lightbulbs, and so I am still in the dark.
Methinks you should invite Borderstone to stay he is I understand like Yuri quite a bright spark

But meanwhile GG try to refrain from sticking your fingers in the open socket , unless you are sure thst the light switch is off. How do you know if it is off?
1 If you put your finger in the socket and feel a strong tingle it is not off.
2 if you are in the US and the sytem is not a pair of two-way switches the main on/off switch's lever will be down
3 if on the other hand you are in the UK and I, believe, Australia the lever will be up (*** see below)
Don't ask me why but I do not think it has anything to do with whether the water drains out of a sink in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction... oh yus
from a blog on a scientific experiment made during a visit to Quito Ecuador on the equator at:-
http://jasonpearce.com/blog/2005/12/...-the-equator/-

"Draining water from a sink worked as expected. In the northern hemisphere, the water circled counter-clockwize. In the southern hemisphere, it circled clockwize. And right on the equater, the water drained straight down. The impressive part was the difference in draining methods was apparent in less than 10 feet on either side of the equator."
Obviously no (Keith) Urban Legend there!!
*** from a wiki at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_switch
"The direction which represents "on" also varies by country. In the United States it is universal for the "on" position of a toggle switch to be "up", whereas in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand it is "down.""
John the "wise" not "wize" wotever neckst? No dowt sumebuddy will insist that there are metals or elements named "cadmium", "sodium" "uranium" and no it can't be write "aluminum"!!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #28
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post
to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again
;OK
  • I am not a lurker
  • Rather more than 6 months have elapsed
  • But having refound this thread I could not resist replying
  • Whatever happenned to Al the Watchman anyway?
  • Surely he is not still sulking
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #29
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

What was he supposed to be sulking about?

And what happened to that Viole(n)t Blue Horse that used to post years ago?
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #30
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post
1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
Hey there Watchman! Thanks for the big grin that I now have on my face. With the rotten way the weather has been here, I really needed a reason to smile. Thanks a ton!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #31
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' View Post
What was he supposed to be sulking about?

And what happened to that Viole(n)t Blue Horse that used to post years ago?

As far as I know good old Al (The Watchman) went into law enforcement and moved south. I haven't heard from him in awhile. I think he also was using his K-9 skills on the job.

Good one about Viole(n)t!!! Who can ever forget the wonderful entertainment when she(?) and Al (The Watchman) would go toe-to-toe. Really funny stuff.

I won't mention your involvement in those fine days since you were moved to the witness protection program - just kidding - good to hear from you.

When I first saw the post I thought "OMG - he's back!" After all these years I don't know if we could stand the excitement - and then I saw the date. Oh well !

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #32
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
As far as I know good old Al (The Watchman) went into law enforcement and moved south. I haven't heard from him in awhile. I think he also was using his K-9 skills on the job.

Good one about Viole(n)t!!! Who can ever forget the wonderful entertainment when she(?) and Al (The Watchman) would go toe-to-toe. Really funny stuff.

I won't mention your involvement in those fine days since you were moved to the witness protection program - just kidding - good to hear from you.

When I first saw the post I thought "OMG - he's back!" After all these years I don't know if we could stand the excitement - and then I saw the date. Oh well !

Bill
Yes I think he lives in North Carolina now. (We're friends on Facebook). I remember you told me about him and the Blue Horse going at it. She used to go toe to toe with me before I got expelled, (I wasn't around when all that went down) then I guess Watchman took my place lol. I wonder if those threads were deleted or not...
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote